View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Lt_Apple

Among the 12 Alwars, Periyazhwar, Andal, Kulasekarazhwar, Thiruppanazhwar, Thirumazhisaiazhwar, Poigaiazhwar, Bhoothathazhwar, Peyazhwar, Nammazhwar and Thirumangaiazhwar have done mangalasasanam in Thirumala.

Poigaialwar - 10 paasurams.
Boothathalwar - 9 Paasurams.
Peialwar - 19 Paasurams.
Perialwar - 7 Paasurams.
Andal - 16 Paasurams.
Thruppaan alwar - 2 Paasurams.
Kulasekaralwar - 11 Paasurams.
Thirumazhisaialwar - 14 Paasurams.
Nammalwar - 52 Paasurams.
Thirumangaialwar - 62 Paasurams.
Total - 202 Paasurams.

The timing of the first three Alwars is during late 5th and early 6th centuries A.D. So was this a Murugan shrine before that? Silapathikaram makes a reference to Thirumala and is timed even earlier than 5 AD. Was it "converted" even before that then?

Friend Badri,

Wonderful historical timeline. Yes we need to take into account these also. But I would like to put these points also (Please note that I am not saying that this is the proof and to completely believe in it.) It is just a historic peice of information and we need to decide and research a lot before coming to a conclusion.

We have read many historics facts being distorted for their own benefits. What I heard is the same from Tirumala/Tirupathi historic facts being distorted to suit them so that nobody questions them later. In this way, the controversy will die down.

Infact, we have historics like Ramayan and Mahabharath where we get a gist of the information but not the totality of the same.

With this, I don't want to claim that Tirumala/Tirupathi Balaji indeed is a Murugan Temple. But there are some valid questions arising as to how many Balaji temples are found on the hills. People point out that only Tirumala/Tirupathi Balaji temple is the only one where Balaji resides on the HILL.

But Murugan is synonymous with HILL.