View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
Peretool

For clarity, my question wasn't if there is a reason, but rather what your reasons are.
When I was a young girl my family hosted twoThais who studied in my country. As foster siblings, they became very close to me and I spent a lot of time with them. I got to know them as very nice and decent persons. Through them I started to develop a high respect for and interest in Thai people and in their culture.

They also introduced me to Thai food and Thai language--and a lot of other Thai students who used to invite me to Thai gatherings (even after my foster siblings had left), like mini Loy Krathong, birthday celebrations of the king and queen and some important occasions at the Thai Embassy.

After my foster siblings returned home, they hosted my first trip to Thailand--which became a habitual one soon after.

After college, I took a graduate course on Asian Studies, major in Thai Studies, having been inspired by my previous acquaintance with Thai culture. (But later on I shifted to another field which was more related to my career path.) However, my interest in Thai language and culture remained alive, and my visits to Thailand continued.