View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
DJkillos

FiP, I don't think Phoenix is a troll - but the atmosphere is not very welcoming in this thread any more. I think you have been playing down the problem very hard. this is a genuine problem that thousands of people face all over the world, and you shouldn't be calling people caught in between two cultures hysterical or childish. some can handle it well, others will be stuck for ages, I've seen both. I really don't know what to say or how to help, apart from suggesting that you should try to help her find a support group where she can discuss the issues with women in similar position, that would help her verbalise her problems more explicitly, talk to people who really understand her, and see how others are tackling the same things. I really wish someone with more relevant experience about growing up in two cultures would come forward with some suggestions....
Betti, thank you for your response.

It's obvious that FiP has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to this subject so I'm going to ignore his responses as they are not relevant. And in no way do I hold this entire board accountable for the negativity and ignorance of one of it's posters

For the rest that say it lies on the person, I understand that it's effortless for some to make the adjustment between one culture and another, but in this thread we aren't talking about those people but instead are referring to the ones who at first had some trouble with acclimation but who were eventually able to adjust. It's harder for some than others. I would like to hear the experiences of those who were eventually able to mentally join the two.

Obviously, when helping a person who's really depressed several issues have to be addressed. In my friends case, I feel helping her link the two (cultures) is a big piece of what will help her feel better but I realize that it's not all that needs to be done. I addressed this specific problem on this messageboard because where's a better place to go on the internet for trying to get feedback on this particular problem?