View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #30
leyliana

I think it depends on the class of person you are dealing with. It seems as if the Dominicans I have met are either on one end of the spectrum or the other regarding manners with no in-between. I still cant get over how incredibly polite some people are. I cant tell you how many people have asked me to their house or have said "on your next trip please stay with us for a couple of nights". These same people tend to be extremely warm, generous and hospitable. Much more generous and hospitable than your average American. Then there seems to be a high percentage of the populace who never learned the first thing about manners. Forget holding doors for someone behind you or respecting lines. Dont expect to hear "Thank you" or "Please". Music blasting, yelling when someone is right next to you, etc... And I hate that "PSSSSSTTTTT..." when someone is trying to get your attention. In the United States, I feel that the majority of people have at least been TAUGHT some social ettiquite...whether Americans choose to apply it depends. With Dominicans however, it seems that they are either extremely well schooled in this area or not at all. Saying "Please" and "Thank You", at the very least, should come naturally.
Larry