View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
XU8i6ysK

There are multiple ways to look at it and not everyone is going to agree with either.

One one side, there is a boys team and a girls team. So, it could be argued that she shouldn't be allowed on the boys team. And, the "girls have been allowed to play football" arguement is not valid here, IMO. It's not "the boys football team". It's just "football team". There is no male/female designation.

It's not the boys fault that not enough girls signed up for a formal team.
(In 2012, however, only three girls turned out for Castleford's girls' squad, one too few to field a formal team. Rather than play as an individual, Harr, the No. 3 female golfer in Idaho in her age group with a 2.2 handicap, won the Idaho High School Activities Association's permission to play with Castleford's boys' team provided she qualified every week.)

The association could have very easily said, she had to play as an individaul, in girls competitions. But, now they're are going to waffle because some boys parents probably complained to his coach because that girl "took his spot".

On the other side of the coin, who cares if a girl is on the boys team, as long as she is playing from the same tees. My dad coached h.s. golf when Nancy Lopez played on the boys team at her h.s. From the stories he's told me, he couldn't care less. But, the boys on his team couldn't handle getting beat by a girl. And, they generally played worse because the were trying so hard to not get beat by a girl, instead of playing their own game.