View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Dynasty

Default What is the starter's official duty?
So starting the round today at a municipal course that is 100% public (ie: there should be NO discrimination towards golfers), the starter asks "what are your handicaps?" My friend and I looked at each other and said we have no idea because we've never really cared to calculate. Well then she goes on a tirade about how this course will be too hard and we should play from the greens. We just told her we have played this course a few times and we know what we are getting ourselves into, and we'll be playing from the blues thank you very much. Anyways, I was still waking up and I duffed my first drive (normal for me on a first hole) and she just sits there with this look on her face like she's a smug expert. My friend comes up and cranks one down the left side that hits a tree. All we hear is "Shoulda listened to me, I know what good golfers look like!"

Anyways, that set the tone for a few holes.

I'm just curious what starters are actually supposed to do other than make sure you tee off on time? Are they there to advice which tee boxes to use?