View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
plaiskegizils

Default Dilemma - should I get my dog snipped
So I have a dilemma

Jet is a two year old blue merle border collie.

He is very exciteable and boisterous and very energetic but also quite well trained and he is good with other dogs.

I take him to agility and recently one of the other members took me aside and said I should get him castrated in case he gets too excited when we start competing.

But i'm worried it may change his personality.

Are there health reasons to get him castrated? I know with female dogs that it can help against some types of cancers but my vet has never recommended that I have Jet snipped. It is worth mentioning I do not intend to breed him specifically but he is registered and from good working bloodlines and he is young and I do have friends who have working dogs who may have wanted to stud him, also he is doing very well at agility and he could pass that on.

So i dont know what to do, i dont want to risk him competing and there being a female dog on heat and him going after her - but then surely no one at any shows would take a female dog if she was on heat anyway?

So it is a bit of a dilemma, it feels cruel to be cutting off his potential so young and i also am worried it will change his personality.