View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #19
ONLINEPHARMACYCHEAPILLS

Huh??

So how is a student deemed worthy of chanting??? May I know what kind of levels are you referring to?

I thought we can chant whenever we like. Besides, there is so much resources about chanting out here that we basically just follow them and we know how to chant. I personally don't think we should stop someone from participating in chants unless that particular person think he or she is not ready.
hey xenusfreeman,
aloka got it right, i was referring to retreat environments, goenka retreats are silent retreats, the environment is to create solitude for the meditator so they can penitrate deep inwardly. i'm not 100% but i believe chanting done by students could have an adverse effect bringing them to the surface in their meditation it could also disturb other students practicing in silence. the rules are for the benifit of all students not to supress them in any way. outside of the retreat environment there are no restrictions placed on students they are their own masters.
a student would never be deemed worthy of chanting, chanting is done specifically by the teachers.
there is a graduated process where students who have taken many courses and practiced for many years, these students and AT's are qualified to sit longer and more detailed courses, this may sound restrictive but in the environment it makes alot of sense as bringing sankharas to the surface and eradicating them takes time for most and attending a certain amount of short retreats before attending longer ones allows a meditator to clear the surface sankharas before going deeply on longer retreats to eradicate the deeper ones.
on these longer teacher retreats i believe chanting is taught.
hope this answers your questions.
jason