View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
dwestemesse

bismi Llah...

Has Habib 'Umar seen such a lack of segregation? I'm not referring to the absence of barriers, but to the fact that men and women are sitting next to each other in a learning environment. I ask because this type of behaviour was troubling us, especially due to the fact that Habib's name was being used to justify this, so I asked the noble Habib. He was against the mixing of genders, and he specifically gave the learning environment as an example where no mixing of the genders should take place. In fact, al-Habib endorses the barrier, and 'complete segregation' where possible, citing the Hadith of as-Sayyidah 'A'ishah (where she says the Messenger would have prohibited women from mosque, had he seen their condition in her time. salla Llahu 'alayhi wa alihi wa sallam).

Please do think well before involving names like al-Habib 'Umar and al-Habib Ahmad Mash-hur in this. Jazakum Allahu khayran.
The strictness of the shafi madhab on this is clear to see. And Yemen continues to be one of the most strict in this practice. So bringing in the names of those scholars I agree was wrong. Some people think that just because a scholar visited a place or program it implies each side automatically endorses everything about each other, which is not necessarily true.

That said, I would like to know what the maliki scholars in specific would say on this.