View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
UitEz0Qo

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan Sir,

Thankyou for this fascinating topic.

I searched but could not find an english translation of the Thirumandiram anywhere online. I will hopefully get myself a hardcopy of Thirumandiram soon.

I have a few doubts wrt to the Upanishads. I would like views and information on them.

Adi Shankara is said to have referred to just 15 upanishads, which may mean that most upanishads were produced after the 8th century. Can that be considered true?

Generally the upanishads are considered Shaiva texts, that depended on a guru-shishya relationship and that which originally did not have a written tradition. Many upanishads supposedly did not find it necessary to offer vedic fire sacrifices for moksham. Some consider them to be non-vedic (not anti-vedic, but of non-vedic origin).

Also, authors of the Upanishads are fairly unknown (while some are known like Narada). But some beleive them to be texts penned by the warrior classes, or those that had no use for vedism, or those that were buddhist-influenced but wanted to carry over their concepts into vedism after converting to hindus. This is one interesting link: Vedas and Upanishads by Sanderson Beck

Please share your views and shed some light on the above - are they true?

Can we consider the Siddhars to be from the Upanishadic traditions? Or did they belong to an independent stream?

Also sir, if you wud know some details of Mahaavtar Babji, please could you share them online? Is the Kriya sampradaya very different from the Siddha sampradayas?

Regards.