LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-28-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Lafclaria

Whilst there are considerable differences between the incomes of those in the Cities and living in villages in rural areas, I think using the word 'Poverty', isn't going to help when searching the web. maybe you need to immerse yourself in the history of Thailand, and especially regarding the contributions made by King Rama IX, Bhumibol Adulyadej to the welfare of his subjects. I would suggest you buy a copy of 'A history of Thailand' by Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit, published by the Cambridge University Press, and a boxed set of 3 books, 'King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand) (ISBN 974-9977-28-9) which highlights in detail the many projects that King Rama IX has instigated during his reign to improve the quality of life of those who live in rural areas.

I don't think 'Poverty' in the forms it exists for instance, in countries like Africa and Burma, apply to Thailand and think the use of this word in relation to Thailand is rather patronising.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Eromereorybig

RamblingSam, I think you need to open your eyes a bit more. Thailand is still very much in "poverty". It's just not as bad as in Africa.

Most people still think of Thailand as a sex paradise that has beautiful sandy beaches - don't forget the ladyboys and the gays.

The projects that you've mentioned are basically for farmers who don't seem to know any better how to develop their own existance. And so, they are still living in poverty.

It's sad, but Thailand right now is not going anywhere soon. I remember the time when Thailand, Taiwan, and Korea where similarly developed. Now those countries are way ahead. Then came Singapore, they surpassed Thailand too (remember when Thai people liked to go there for cheap shopping?). Now there is Malaysia who is more economically developed.

Thais seems to be under the impression that they are still doing pretty good for themselves. This is probably because a lot of tourists are just being polite when they say Thailand is such a beutiful and developed country.
Yes, ramblingsam, you need to a little more research. come to thailand and se for yourself the reality outside the touristy areas thatb most people seem and do not venture out of.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
LSg44PDu

RamblingSam, I think you need to open your eyes a bit more. Thailand is still very much in "poverty". It's just not as bad as in Africa.

Most people still think of Thailand as a sex paradise that has beautiful sandy beaches - don't forget the ladyboys and the gays.

The projects that you've mentioned are basically for farmers who don't seem to know any better how to develop their own existance. And so, they are still living in poverty.

It's sad, but Thailand right now is not going anywhere soon. I remember the time when Thailand, Taiwan, and Korea where similarly developed. Now those countries are way ahead. Then came Singapore, they surpassed Thailand too (remember when Thai people liked to go there for cheap shopping?). Now there is Malaysia who is more economically developed.

Thais seems to be under the impression that they are still doing pretty good for themselves. This is probably because a lot of tourists are just being polite when they say Thailand is such a beutiful and developed country.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
LSg44PDu

Ramblingsam might be a Bangkok person who sees only Bangkok as Thailand. Besides Bangkok the rest of Thailand is more or less like Laos, Cambodia, or even Burma.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 06-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
LOVEBoy

This link and some of the links within it might be helpful

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26764

Old 09-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
Eromereorybig

Ramblingsam might be a Bangkok person who sees only Bangkok as Thailand. Besides Bangkok the rest of Thailand is more or less like Laos, Cambodia, or even Burma.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reading books in Reading is different from living here and integrating into Thai society.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
JANALA

I think anyone who does research into the hill tribes in thailand will see poverty is very much alive...

Old 09-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
Galsteinbok

Default poverty in thailand
Hi all! Really need the help of you guys

I have to write a paper on poverty on thailand and the social problems caused by poverty in thailand. I have searched on the internet but it seems quite hard to find reliable information. Anyone knows of any websites that talks about poverty in thailand or any website where i can get statistics on poverty in thailand?

Thank youu~

Reply to Thread New Thread