LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
reervieltnope

Welcome to the forums Polly. Glad to hear your a donor.

I queried my wife about the blood donating last night and she didn't seem to think that it was any big deal. She was very curious as to why I was asking and as I began to explain I started to see the "stupid farang" look get going. ' I'm finally starting to learn that that look gets generated by questions she perceives to be the likes of, "In Thailand do people put their pants on one leg at a time?"

that said, I'm not going to ask her about the "fat" thing.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
DownloadMan

OK Pat, I went and asked my wife about the fat thing, and she said YES it is true,, she said that she just thought of doing it the other day and gained 2 KG,, so she ain't going around no blood banks.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Snuddyentaine

Hey guys,

i'm working on an project about blood donation in Thailand and i have been trying to gather information on Thais' myths and beliefs that prevent them from donating blood, but i can't seem to find any . I really need help here please!!!

Can anyone enlighten me on the the myths and beliefs and what kind of program/s would make you change your mind on blood donation?

Thank you very very very much for your help guys!
No, we don't have any myths or beliefs about donating or receiving blood.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
DownloadMan

never heard of any, maybe thats why you can't find any.

But they are hesitant about receiving it because of the very good chance of HIV/AIDS.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
sessoorale

some older fat farangs go to sidewalk open beer joints to drink beer and look at Pretty Thai girls all day,[well at leasy til they can't see anymore]. Then go home and pass out..
That sound lonely.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Caursedus

Maybe you should ask the crazy Christians, or the other two crazy religions that originated in the middle east, as there the ones which have the superstitious beliefs about blood.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
M4tHkBw2

Same happened to my MotherInlaw, she had some blood taken for diagnosis, three months later they took some more, and then said she had HIV, over 50, a widower gets HIV??? The hospital did not answer one query!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
sessoorale

do they donate blood on their birthday because it signify something? for example, Thais believe that they (or their future generations) will be blessed...etc?
"Thaam Boon"... to gain merit.... ya, guess its for the after life or next life or something.
Some people wake up early in the morning to give food to the monks. Some people go to orphanage to do donations or play with the children, etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
tactWeiccaf

Alot of Thai donate blood on their birthday.....
do they donate blood on their birthday because it signify something? for example, Thais believe that they (or their future generations) will be blessed...etc?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Caursedus

it's Jehova's witnesses, not Christians, who refuse blood.

I would doubt the risk of HIV in hospitals. this might be the 3rd world, whatever, but I'm sure blood screening is standard procedure. let's not spread panic.
When did the Jehovah witnesses stop there Christian beliefs.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Peretool

Maybe you should ask the crazy Christians , or the other two crazy religions that originated in the middle east, as there the ones which have the superstitious beliefs about blood.
Ooooops, are we not supposed to be more careful about criticizing religions
here?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
tactWeiccaf

Default Myths and Beliefs
Hey guys,

i'm working on an project about blood donation in Thailand and i have been trying to gather information on Thais' myths and beliefs that prevent them from donating blood, but i can't seem to find any . I really need help here please!!!

Can anyone enlighten me on the the myths and beliefs and what kind of program/s would make you change your mind on blood donation?

Thank you very very very much for your help guys!

Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Drysnyaty

FiP, I'm sad to hear that. but I1m pretty sure it didn1t happen a year or two ago?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
RenyBontes

I think some people in thailand does't understand how important it is to donate blood. There should be more community service and awareness in order to reach more people. Yes, I'm a regular donor.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
sessoorale

Alot of Thai donate blood on their birthday.....

Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
DownloadMan

some older fat farangs go to sidewalk open beer joints to drink beer and look at Pretty Thai girls all day,[well at leasy til they can't see anymore]. Then go home and pass out..

Old 09-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #17
Snuddyentaine

Oh, wow, I have never known that. This must be a new phenom. We donated blood and had blood drive at the university where I attended. (but that was a long time ago)

Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #18
Drysnyaty

it's Jehova's witnesses, not Christians, who refuse blood.

I would doubt the risk of HIV in hospitals. this might be the 3rd world, whatever, but I'm sure blood screening is standard procedure. let's not spread panic.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #19
cenRealliat

I am a regular blood donor. I do not thing receiving blood from the blood bank is a problem... maybe operations or equipments at the hospital. There are some cases of the hospital makes mistake in blood test result (saying the person has HIV while it is actually not).

By the way, there is a belief in some girl's groups that you will gain weight aafter the donation. I don't know what is the reason behind this. I think this can't be called myth to belief but many girls I know will never donate blood because they don't want to get fat.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #20
DownloadMan

That could very well be, but I know of 2 guys whose wives had babys here, and thru blood or just dirty tools that have never seen an autoclave, which I have never seen in operation here, they now have the children but not the wives do to AIDs deaths.

Not saying that you will get it, but damn final if you do. But there is pobly a lot different things happen in the city as to whats happens in the Moo Ban.

Reply to Thread New Thread