LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
larentont

I'm not a big fan of durian fruit.

I have been know to eat a bowl full of rambutan after dinner though

Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
Avaboormavoro

Although I've been to Thailand quite a few times I have never mustered up the courage to try the much maligned durian. I really would like to try it but a lot of people say how much it stinks that I'm a little afraid.
Can anyone tell me what one actually tastes like?

Also, I saw a picture of a fruit called "soursop" on a poster at an English school, and that looks interesting too. Do they have this fruit in Thailand as well? If so, can somebody tell me what it's called in Thai?

Thank you

Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
vypusknye

Me too, even for me as a farahn.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
etdgxcnc

I love eating durian, even my old little dog was so crazy for durian.... we always got to a little fight before eating durians coz my dog always tried to steal it

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
layevymed

Default 8 things you can do with durian
1.Throw it away
2.Hit an enemy over the head with it.
3.porcupine decoy
4. use it as a speed bump
5.Use it as an alien in a low budget space movie
6.drop it from the top of a building
7.Masochist Pillow
8.Paint it silver and hang it from a telepone pole take a picture of it and say it is a UFO flying.
Who eats those things?...........................

Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
joOEMcheapSOFTWARE

Quote[/b] (Som Tam @ July 13 2005,22:37)]1.Throw it away
2.Hit an enemy over the head with it.
3.porcupine decoy
4. use it as a speed bump
5.Use it as an alien in a low budget space movie
6.drop it from the top of a building
7.Masochist Pillow
8.Paint it silver and hang it from a telepone pole take a picture of it and say it is a UFO flying.
Who eats those things?...........................
Haha, there are 2 very important & practical uses you left out. I am not sure if they apply to Thai durians cos I have always tried it with Malaysian durians only, but I think it should work too.
<ul>[*]Use the husks (where the flesh used to be) as a "cup" to drink water mixed with salt
Durian is known to be a "heaty" fruit in Asian culture and the salted water drank from the husk has a "cooling" effect in the digestive system and will help to prevent the consumer from feeling ill due to too much "heat" in the system, thereby causing him to fall sick. In my younger days, my family members were able to consume 4-5 fruits of durians each for dinner (nothing else) with no adverse heaty effects.[*]Use the back of the husks and with running tap water flowing down, use the water to wash your hands
This will help get rid of the strong smell that stays on the hands and fingers after a hearty feast of durians, Works better than any hand soap![/list]My American friends were skeptical when I told them this and the most cynical one had a bet with me, cos he thought it was all old wives' tales. Well, he lost. And the next person who lost a bet was his own equally cynical wife - & to him! Now, whenever they visit, and we go dor durians, that's what we will all automatically do.

Work or not? Do try it for yourself. Maybe let me know if it works with Thai durians as well.

Jerome, maybe think of the durian as smelly cheese. Smells terrible perhaps (although the smell is great to me, unless its stale durians), but tastes great

Old 09-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
snunsebrugs

Durian is a really odd fruit, it's pungent to some yet fragrant to others. I don't really like Thai durians. They are too firm, I prefer the really soft ones like the Malaysian and Singapore durians.

Soursop is another odd fruit, it's name reads sour, but it is actually more sweet than it is sour. it looks a little like custard apple and the texture is similar, even the seeds are identical but soursops taste way better in my opinion.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
layevymed

Actually to describe the taste of durian i have read in Lonely Planet as "onion flavoured" ice cream. Actually when I go to Cambodia they have ice smoothey durian shakes. They are quite good. But when I tell the Thais about it they laugh and say that is impossible and Durian shakes don't exist. BUT THEY DO! Everytime i go to cambodia i have a few. That is the only way I like to eat them.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
snunsebrugs

Me...

Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
Raj_Copi_Jin

Durians are nice, as well as rambutans.

Reply to Thread New Thread