LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Longwow

Default Name footballers who were rellies, school mates, neighbours, teachers etc...
Who did you know, were related to, played footy with, went to school with, lived across the road from etc...... who went on to play WAFL or VFL/AFL?

I'll kick things off, I'm repeating myself to a few people here but here goes.

Alex Hamilton (East Perth mid to late 70's) - was my phys ed teacher at John Forrest SHS.

Phil Kelly (East Perth dual Sandover Medalist) also a phys ed teacher for a short time at JFSHS.

Alan Johnson (champion Perth and Melbourne wingman in the 70's/80's) - second cousin, never met him but my mum grew up with his mum. I wore his number 20 in juniors.

George Mavor (EF backman in the 50's/60's who played state footy i think) - his brother David was a close uncle. Real shit stirrer when EF knocked us off. Still going strong.

Bill Dempsey, Joe Fanchi (super boot) and Frank Margaria. (All WP champions) - my old man was good friends with these old WP champions from the 60's and 70's who came to our house on a few occasions in the 70's and 80's. I probably didn't appreciate the football royalty i was surrounded by back then. One night Frank (uncle Frank) Margaria took to a Perth scarf i had with a pair of scizzors and had me in tears. The cheeky bastard then got the WPFC to send me a WP junior membership. I think i took to that with a pair of scizzors. Now you Garlic Munchers know why i hate West Perth!!

I can't think of any footballers i played with or against that went on to league level but a few that were a couple of years younger went on.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
tsovimnpb

like you DD we have already yarned about this....but Paul Mountain (SF) was my year 7 teacher at primary school in 79, we had a bet (about 50 cents from memory) on the 79 GF Derby.....really nice guy, coached our school team too. David Bain (EP/Fitz/BB) and Richard Dennis (EP/Car/NM/WP) were footy and primary school mates. Played club junior footy with Tony Papotto (EP/P), Rodney Lewis (EP), Nathan Brooks (EP/CL) and Paul Bagshaw (EP). Good mates with a fella who played colts for two years at EP in Greg Brennan in the early eighties, used to go out partying with the likes of Starcevich,Peos etc who were his EP team mates. Was out some night, mid eighties, getting close to a young lady and Johnny Gastev(WP/BL) came over and said take her some where private mate and gave me his car keys!!!.......

Old 04-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
HugoSimon

Great reading hearing stuff like that, would love to read more, i'm sure there are heaps of footy tragics out there with a story or two to tell about who they are related to or rubbed shoulders with at some point in their lives.

like you DD we have already yarned about this....but Paul Mountain (SF) was my year 7 teacher at primary school in 79, we had a bet (about 50 cents from memory) on the 79 GF Derby.....really nice guy, coached our school team too. David Bain (EP/Fitz/BB) and Richard Dennis (EP/Car/NM/WP) were footy and primary school mates. Played club junior footy with Tony Papotto (EP/P), Rodney Lewis (EP), Nathan Brooks (EP/CL) and Paul Bagshaw (EP). Good mates with a fella who played colts for two years at EP in Greg Brennan in the early eighties, used to go out partying with the likes of Starcevich,Peos etc who were his EP team mates. Was out some night, mid eighties, getting close to a young lady and Johnny Gastev(WP/BL) came over and said take her some where private mate and gave me his car keys!!!.......
One of my other phys ed teachers was a Mr Pampacos (i think his son went on to umpire at WAFL level). Mr Pampacos was a mad Perth supporter and there was always good banter going on between him and Mr (Alex) Hamilton.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Frogzlovzy

Joe Fanchi Alex Epis good old South Boulder boys,Both played for Mines Rover in the Goldfields leagueSame side I played for.
Brian (Bulla) Mcgregor.Played cricket against him in the goldifields comp.A very quick bowler.
Fred Seinor,Relly.
Alan and Merv Kennedy both played for Mines(Diorites).
Kevin Miller,Graham Reilly,Kieth Smith all firies.
Gary Brookes,John Bridgewood,Alan Montgomery all firies.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Adimos

Another who was a firie was Ron Tucker.A great man.Ray Holden,West Perth was also firie.Darren Klemm.
Many guys I met who are firies and footbal players.Toby McGrath.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
soitlyobserty

i lived next door to john o'sullivan who played for rossmoyne jfc ,east freo and w.a. chris mainwaring would stay with the o'sullivans when he first came down from geraldton. they would swim in our pool - both were great guys. rossmoyne jfc had some good payers come through - david flood, earl spalding, the waterman's, john lawrence and bradley read to name just a few.

here in london i have met pixie lotts, sam fox, and holly vallance through work. but that is getting a bit off track.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
VINPELA

A few for me.

My wife's grandfather played for Souths and WP in the 50s for a few games, and his family was heavily involved with SF - not sure if it was his dad or his brother that was club President for a while. His son played a few games for Perth in 1981.

Gary Malarkey was my PhysEd teacher at school
Mates with Garry McDonald's (ex SD) son
Played footy with as a junior (and was mates with) the sons of Ed Blackaby, Rod Mohr (ex SD) and Glen Coffey (ex SF). in fact Coffey still sits in my seat at Eagles games.
Laine Spencer (ex Claremont) is my Uncle's nephew on his wife's side.

Played against a few players who went on to league level such as Michael Clarke and Beau McDonald.

There were also a few guys a year or two below me at school like Nathan Featherby, Ryan and Luke Webster, Liam Casson, Andrew Embley etc who went on to WAFL or AFL duties. Never played footy with those guys, but played cricket with a couple of them.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
ReggieRed

One of my other phys ed teachers was a Mr Pampacos (i think his son went on to umpire at WAFL level). Mr Pampacos was a mad Perth supporter and there was always good banter going on between him and Mr (Alex) Hamilton.
As an Education Assistant at John Forrest HS in 2006/7 and a Hasluck faction member, I got to know Mike Pampacos very well. We had many discussions about the relative merits of East Perth v Perth. He was an Umpire's Adviser at the time and got many East Perth games. While at the school, I also got to know John Daniel (EP) and Ken Washbourne (son of the late EP great, Jim.)

After JFHS, I worked at Beechboro PS with Brent Levitzke (EP, S and I think P) and Phil Farrell (S).

I went through Mt. Lawley SHS with Alan Walker (EP, but a WP supporter and Peter Zaikos (P supporter at school but later a League WANFL Umpire.) Also Russell Argent and Kerry McCarthy (both EP) and John Robinson (EP/C). Peter Tannock (EP) was my Geography teacher in 3rd Year (Year 10)

After school, I lIved for a while in Como and became a supporter of the Collier JFC where I met John Quartermaine (P), a very nice bloke who called me Ringo and was a one-eyed EP supporter (as were ALL his mates in the immediate area.) I also knew Ken McAullay and Brent Armanasco (both EP) at night school.

From baseball, there was Alex Hamilton who I coached as a junior at the Perth Club and who I've known ever since.
Also at PBC was James Waddell (WP/EP) and Gavin Hawkins (EP/S).
While involved with a Junior state baseball team, I got to know Steven Green, Ken Judge and Jeff Trott (all EF)

In employment at BP, I worked with, "Trizzie" Lawrence, Laurie Nugent and the late "Oscar" Howard (all well known to EF supporters.)

And finally (thank goodness I hear you say), away from football; in my first job after leaving school, I worked for over three years with great cricketer Bruce Yardley.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Cibirrigmavog

As an Education Assistant at John Forrest HS in 2006/7 and a Hasluck faction member, I got to know Mike Pampacos very well. We had many discussions about the relative merits of East Perth v Perth. He was an Umpire's Adviser at the time and got many East Perth games. While at the school, I also got to know John Daniel (EP) and Ken Washbourne (son of the late EP great, Jim.)

After JFHS, I worked at Beechboro PS with Brent Levitzke (EP, S and I think P) and Phil Farrell (S).

I went through Mt. Lawley SHS with Alan Walker (EP, but a WP supporter and Peter Zaikos (P supporter at school but later a League WANFL Umpire.) Also Russell Argent and Kerry McCarthy (both EP) and John Robinson (EP/C). Peter Tannock (EP) was my Geography teacher in 3rd Year (Year 10)

After school, I lIved for a while in Como and became a supporter of the Collier JFC where I met John Quartermaine (P), a very nice bloke who called me Ringo and was a one-eyed EP supporter (as were ALL his mates in the immediate area.) I also knew Ken McAullay and Brent Armanasco (both EP) at night school.

From baseball, there was Alex Hamilton who I coached as a junior at the Perth Club and who I've known ever since.
Also at PBC was James Waddell (WP/EP) and Gavin Hawkins (EP/S).
While involved with a Junior state baseball team, I got to know Steven Green, Ken Judge and Jeff Trott (all EF)

In employment at BP, I worked with, "Trizzie" Lawrence, Laurie Nugent and the late "Oscar" Howard (all well known to EF supporters.)

And finally (thank goodness I hear you say), away from football; in my first job after leaving school, I worked for over three years with great cricketer Bruce Yardley.
Mr Pampacos was one of my favourite teachers macs, and i was a Hasluck boy! Gavin Hawkins was one of those i was referring to who was a year or 2 younger and i'm pretty sure he had a sister named Kim and she was in my form class throughout high school. And what a cracking hot piece she was. Wouldn't mind looking her up though no doubt she's on the ball and chain.

You've got quite an honour roll there macs. You telling me John Quartermaine is a one eyed EP supporter? That can't be right, sure your not mixing him up with Alan Quartermaine?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
AbraxiaAsus

I thought I knew all the Hawkins family but I never knew a Kim. Although that means nothing. He definitely has a sister Jenny who married the former Coach of our Baseball Club. Their "incredible hulk" of a son played junior football for Peel and is now in America playing College baseball.

If you read my post again DD, you will see that I said Quarters WAS a one-eyed EP supporter. That was in his junior footballing days. He is former East Perth player and President Jim Haines' cousin.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #11
immewaycypef

Phil Clucas (EF) father of Matt - was our postie
Wayne Cormack (EF) Phys Ed teacher
Russell Koch (EF) near neighbour
Stephen TI Michael (SF Legend) drove Josephs trucks to next to where my Old Man worked
( I was in awe for the first few times I stood nearby & couldn't get anything out but a nicer fella you couldn't get - I saw him last year at a southwest fuel stop still the same fella!)
David Regan (ESS & WCE) ex-work colleague
Sean Regan (EF) Todd Jenkins (EF & P) childhood stuff
Paul Vasoli (P & SF) played a couple of masters games with him - still had lots at 50 odd unbelievable really
Ned Fimmano (SF captain) current work colleague
Daniel Haines (PT & FREM) subcontracts to my employer
Benny "the Jet" "Mr Unbelievable" Vigona (SF) sunk some piss at the old raffles hotel with him one night can't post the rest too funny & naughty hahahaha

Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
Cxcvvfbgtr

Played cricket against Brad Bootsma (sf / freo), Ken Judge (ef / haw), Gary Buckenara (subi / haw), Steve Malaxos (cl / haw / wce / ef), Peter German (nm), Kris Miller (ef / sf) and Peter Christie (sf board) (all in the same team would you believe!!) Kim Hagdorn also played in that side.

Played high school footy against Cousins and Jarrad Schofield when they played for Wesley College and pumped us.

Lots of other little stories etc but one that sticks in my mind is when I was mid 20's the fellas and I went out to the good old Arcadia nightclub (may have been Abeerdeen now I think of it) . . . anyway, must have been 1996 ish when the Allies came to play WA. We were mucking around upstairs as you do and I grabbed a beer that I thought was mine and had a swig. Got a firm tap on the shoulder to see Billy Brownless legless asking me (I think) what I was doing. I turn around and keep drinking not quite triggering who it was for about 3 seconds and spun around to say g'day / sorry and was starring at Brett Allison, Longmire, Crawford, Richo, pretty sure the whole bloody side were there off there trolleys. I ended up getting beers for free all night and did the worm on the dancefloor with Crawford.

Allies beat WA easily and Billy was seen getting into a taxi with someone (x2) who wasn't Mrs Brownless. Hey wound down the window and shouted "that was my beer you ******!!!" =) FUNNY at the time.

Sumich bought me a carton for a massage once (sounds bloody suss but it's all legit) =)

Some good nights with Dean Rioli.

Played cricket with Peter Bell and Mark "Bomber" Riley.

Toddy gave me a SF jacket one year to say thanks.

Went to uni with Liam Casson (wp / sd), Brad Trpchev (wp)

Brad Oldroyd (WA cricketer in 90's) used to come to my house and do WWF moves off my couch instead of going state training. Had some big nights with him. Don't know why really. Mad prick. He was dropped from the state side not long after. hhhmmmm.

Lots of tid bits but I have bored too many already.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #13
Shinegayboyx

My aunty went out with Jaimie Lockyer (sf in the 80's)

Old man used to have a chat to T.I. once a week at the freo ports. Remember when he came home one day with an autograph made out to me from him. Still have it. Was awesome.

My other weird half of the family new the Sorrells (ef), Regans (ef) and Doigs (ef / sf)

Most stuff can't say on here =)

Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Sillaycheg

Oops sorry, forgot some. Just 4 more but not in time order.

Years ago, with my sister and late brother-in-law, I spent a very enjoyable evening playing cards with Swan Districts hard man, Ron Boucher and his wife.
It was a fantastic evening with Ron keeping us in stitches with many football stories but it soon became very apparent that the only person he was scared of was his tiny wife.

I met Wayne Duke (EP/C/EP) when he first came across from Victoria to play for EP. He worked at a service station in East Perth that was run by my housemate (a Subi supporter) of the time.

And I will probably get the thumbs down here, but my Captain in Under 18’s at Bedford DYC was Grant Dorrington.

Over to cricket for a final one. In second year (Year 9) at High School, my science teacher was Russell Waugh who came across from NSW to open the batting for North Perth and WA.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Suentiend

Had Len gandini, Neil Taylor and George Christie as school teachers, played footy with Danny Penny, Oral Maguire, Steve richardson, Troy Ugle and Joe Cormack.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
wCYvMKAc

Played with Teddy Roberts,Wayne and Doug Simms,Barry Dowell, all good Canning boys.
Player against the Buzz,Russell and Kevin Sparks and Alan Montgomery.
Had Peter Holtz as a teacher.
Went to school with Graham Carter(ef),Leigh Brenton(ef),Stephen Green(ef) and Glen Stewart(Eagles sports guy).

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #17
numinertyuesk

Got in a punch up at the raffs with Danny Penny & his bogan mates once upon a time...

Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
luspikals

Got in a punch up at the raffs with Danny Penny & his bogan mates once upon a time...
And the winner was...............???

Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #19
otheloComRole

Not Danny Penny DD .

Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #20
phernikas

Not Danny Penny DD .
A bit of ground and pound was there Paul/DG?

Reply to Thread New Thread