LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
TepSteade

Default Hamilton close to signing new contract (If he gets to keep his trophies?)
Incredible... I wasn't aware that McLaren driver contracts specified that they (McLaren) got to keep the drivers race trophies, while the drivers got mere copies. Whats that all about?

"The Hungarian Grand Prix winner is expected to resolve his future over the summer break, with it now appearing almost certain that he will remain at the Woking-based team.

But speaking in the wake of his latest triumph, he has revealed that a 'push point' in the talks with be about trophies, with McLaren having historically always kept its drivers' winning silverware.

"Ron [Dennis] and the team have all the trophies in the cabinet and the drivers get replicas," Hamilton told the British media.

"In a lot of other teams, the drivers get their original trophies. As a racing driver, what you work for and what you want to take home are two things; one is your crash helmet and the other is your trophy. For me, they are priceless.

"I don't care if they don't give me a car [to keep], but those two things are what you put your blood and sweat into, and the team keep those at the moment. So whatever contract I'm having next, that is going to be a push point.

"I don't feel I have a tough decision to make. It is my career I'm talking about however - the last part of my [professional] life. It's the first time I've been in this position, so I guess it still remains an important decision."

McLaren has been aware of Hamilton's demands over the trophies for several weeks, and team principal Martin Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he was confident the matter would not get blown out of proportion.

"I've known Lewis a long time and I think we have a very good understanding on one another," he said. "I think there is a lot of mutual trust and respect - I hope and believe both ways. So I don't see that [the trophies] as a big issue. We will see."

Hamilton's unusual contract request - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I think he has a point, dont you?

Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
bromgeksan

Incredible... I wasn't aware that McLaren driver contracts specified that they (McLaren) got to keep the drivers race trophies, while the drivers got mere copies. Whats that all about?

"The Hungarian Grand Prix winner is expected to resolve his future over the summer break, with it now appearing almost certain that he will remain at the Woking-based team.

But speaking in the wake of his latest triumph, he has revealed that a 'push point' in the talks with be about trophies, with McLaren having historically always kept its drivers' winning silverware.

"Ron [Dennis] and the team have all the trophies in the cabinet and the drivers get replicas," Hamilton told the British media.

"In a lot of other teams, the drivers get their original trophies. As a racing driver, what you work for and what you want to take home are two things; one is your crash helmet and the other is your trophy. For me, they are priceless.

"I don't care if they don't give me a car [to keep], but those two things are what you put your blood and sweat into, and the team keep those at the moment. So whatever contract I'm having next, that is going to be a push point.

"I don't feel I have a tough decision to make. It is my career I'm talking about however - the last part of my [professional] life. It's the first time I've been in this position, so I guess it still remains an important decision."

McLaren has been aware of Hamilton's demands over the trophies for several weeks, and team principal Martin Whitmarsh told AUTOSPORT earlier this month that he was confident the matter would not get blown out of proportion.

"I've known Lewis a long time and I think we have a very good understanding on one another," he said. "I think there is a lot of mutual trust and respect - I hope and believe both ways. So I don't see that [the trophies] as a big issue. We will see."

Hamilton's unusual contract request - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I think he has a point, dont you?
It has always been that way at McLaren. I remember Mika Hakkinen wanting to keep his as well and McLaren said that if he didn't like the situation that he could leave the team. I can't imagine McLaren changing this for Hamilton to be honest. They never did it for any other driver, so I don't see why they should do it for him.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
jerzeygymwolf

I've always thought it tough on McLaren drivers that they don't get to keep their trophies, but it's in the contract they sign so they can't really have any argument.

I do recall one driver (DC I think) saying he'd kept the original trophy from a race win but had convinced Ron that McLaren had the original not a replica

Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
errolurberozy

I cant believe I'd never heard of that before. I wonder what the reasoning behind such an unfair clause might be... because they can?

Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
ROYMANgo

Ask Mika about trophies.

Second thoughts don't actually

Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
Andoror

There is no "I" in trophy .
And , there is no "I" in McLaren , either .

Wahhhhh .

Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Ikhqgvas

There is no "I" in trophy .
And , there is no "I" in McLaren , either .

Wahhhhh .
Apparently, there's an "I" in Ali G.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
MyLeva

Lets have a few Kimi vodka jokes too.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #9
VINPELA

I can't see McLaren changing their traditions now.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
w3QHxwNb

Apparently, there's an "I" in Ali G.
Apparently, there's an "I" in Trophies - plural, which is what Lewis wants to keep - his TROPHIES!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #11
u2ZQGC6b

I never knew about this "tradition". This is pretty stupid and I feel bad for McLaren's drivers. Maybe if McLaren change this policy it won't take another decade to win another WDC.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Ternneowns

I think it was Brundle who said he has the original second place throphy after his nice drive in the 1994 Monaco GP.

I think he still has it and Mclaren have a copy.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
moohassinny

It isnt just the driver that won the race, its the team that produce the equiptment capable of winning the race....

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
weO1bVp1

Yes they do....but the team also gets a trophy for being the winning constructor. At the moment McLaren is keeping 2 trophies per race win.

TBH I think Hamilton is more than within his rights to say "i'll have the original, you have the copy in your trophy cabinet".

Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Argurnenoni

Perhaps not while Ron Dennis is around.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
Ambrakam

Only McLaren would come up with a policy like that. Or perhaps I should say only Ron Dennis would come up with a policy like that. Never has there been a more anally retentive figure in the history of sport.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
elects

Jean Todt gave him a run for his money but Dennis wins it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
22CreessGah

Never has there been a more anally retentive figure in the history of sport.
Very successful though

Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
attanilifardy

Jean Todt gave him a run for his money but Dennis wins it.
Todt wasn't even close. Todt would stop at nothing to win, sure enough, but I never got the impression that he cared whether his drivers grew a beard or got tattoos. Dennis on the other hand would have blown a valve if his drivers tried it on. Just ask Kimi and DC.

Very successful though
True enough. There's no denying the man knew how to run an F1 team and I respective him for it but you gotta admit, he was a bit of a w_nker.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Breilopmil

I respected both TP's for their strengths at running an F1 team but Todt was as much a (word you used) as Dennis. Ron was overly clinical but at least the guy had a sense of humour.

Reply to Thread New Thread