LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
freddystone

Default British GP news any moment now...
Press conference due to start at 10.30am...

Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Infellgedq

17 year deal!!!!

Donnington is in trouble I think...money spent, finance issues and now no F1

Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
acissombiapse

17 year deal!!!!

Donnington is in trouble I think...money spent, finance issues and now no F1
And they even lost MotoGP to Silverstone. The place is torn up as far as I understand, and the operating company in liquidation. Maybe it is better that the great Mr. Wheatcroft didn't live to see this.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
freddystone

The British Grand Prix will stay at the Silverstone circuit next year after the Northamptonshire track reached a deal with Bernie Ecclestone after weeks of negotiations...The British Racing Drivers' Club, owners of the tack, confirmed on Monday morning they had secured a 17-year agreement to host the British Grand Prix from 2010... http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80466

It's just a shame that Donington has been dug up and left in a mess with a very uncertain future

Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Infellgedq

Great news on the one hand....but Donnington is in a real mess....they could struggle to get anything at this rate. To lose Donny would be a massive blow because it is one of the best UK circuits around.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
ftqwhbvxlcfop

Bernie should rot for this. His greed and blinkered dislike of Silverstone has resulted in the near destruction of a great British track.

That said I'm thrilled that in 2027 I'll still be able to watch F1 at Silverstone (god I'll be 47!).

Old 12-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Infellgedq

On the other hand Silverstone might finally get the infrastucture required in today's modern world...combining a great circuit with great facilities.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
nickayary

i think a 20 yr race share between Silverstone and Donington would have been the best result - given Donny another year to get its plans sorted - and definite deal to ensure it can get cash in rather than one of Bernies contracts you can drive a bus through the gaps in.

i don't get the fuss with Silverstone, its great to watch a few quick laps on but i can't remember many recent races that have been any good if its been dry, the track layout does not lend itself to anything other than a very quick procession. and now we are left with a Donington circuit in bits with some very interesting plans in place but no funds to fulfil them and no contracts to allow it to recoup any revenue.

i agree we need a British GP, but i do fail to see why it has to be silverstone - Brands Hatch and Donington have arguably every bit as much racing and indeed F1 history.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
nickayary

On the other hand Silverstone might finally get the infrastucture required in today's modern world...combining a great circuit with great facilities.
great circuit for what - its rubbish to spectate at, there is no overtaking unless it rains. its a challenge to race on due to the high speed, but it needs something more, it can't compete with Spa and Monza as a race IMO

Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
paydayus

Simon Gillett is the problem. Very arrogant guy and he has ruined Donington in the process of acheiving absolutely nothing. Another example of a person in it for himself and nobody else.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
EzekelEnzino

Donnington was an example of a 'bargaining chip' as far as Bernie was concerned. Once it's usefulness was at an end, from being thuroughly dug up and left to quandry in an unecessesary and fruitless display of Greed and Thoughtlessness (EVLL), it was all but insured that Silverstone would get the 'last laugh' on Bernie.

Should've just done the deal honestly, instead of involving a racing circuit that was really not prepared to be redone, especially by a group of businessmen (and I use the term, loosely) whom proved to be so woefully inadequate to handle such an endeavor.

As I always say, "Always know whom you are dealing with. That way, you don't look such a fool when the truth comes out."

Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
gooseCile

Good news for Silverstone and the sport, because Silverstone is undoubtedly part of the sport. First F1 race ever, methinks. Still I feel sorry for Donington Park.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
ftqwhbvxlcfop

Simon Gillett is the problem. Very arrogant guy and he has ruined Donington in the process of acheiving absolutely nothing. Another example of a person in it for himself and nobody else.
Whilst Gillett is a berk, Bernie should have (and in my opinion) did see straight through the piece of swiss cheese that served as Mr Gillett's business plan. He used Donny and damn the fallout. Its time for the poison dwarf to go.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Siffidiolla

Donny desperately needed modernising anyway. A miracle that DORNA stuck with it. The financial woes is an utter tragedy.

Silverstone wins all round - depending if they can meet the 7% per annum fee.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
kathy

great circuit for what - its rubbish to spectate at, there is no overtaking unless it rains. its a challenge to race on due to the high speed, but it needs something more, it can't compete with Spa and Monza as a race IMO
which circuit competes with Spa and Monza as a race ?

except perhaps Suzuka maybe

Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
obegeLype

Silverstone isn't a bad circuit to spectate at at all. Much like Spa and Monza the fans can get as close as 20 feet to the action, unlike the new facilities like Bahrain, and Turkey etc. Being a photographer I like a circuit where not every photo you take has a bloody wire fence in it, and Silverstone has plenty of views without this hassle. I think if people think its crap to spectate at, the're either arriving far too late, or they don't know the circuit well enough.

I feel abit sorry for Donnington in sight of all this, as its been ripped apart and left. I think Bernie should be held partly responsible and should foot some of the cost to getting it back on its feet. Its a great bike circuit and hopefully they can secure a MotoGP or Superbikes contract.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
slarceSelia

Good news that we have a grand prix secured for the forseeable future. Hopefully Silverstone can finally bring the facilities into the 21st century.

Another interesting point:

Silverstone is also set to stage the British MotoGP in 2010 on a modified track.

The revamped layout will also be used for the F1 race, as long as Silverstone officials can get approval from the FIA, the sport's world governing body. If not, they will stick with the old circuit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8397777.stm

Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #18
nickayary

all of a sudden we believe that Silverstone can carry out the redevelopments, but it was pie in the sky when donington wanted to? plus there is a 1oyr break option in the contract, which Bernie will use to either get a better deal or force the developments he wants again.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
Infellgedq

Well aside from the fact Silverstone hasthe planning permission in place and Donny didn't? Or that Donny needed to borrow land for a car park on the weekend and has limited access.

Donny would never have worked as a GP venue and Bernie knew that when he talked it up. They were the stick to beat Silverstone because he dislikes certain BRDC members.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #20
ftqwhbvxlcfop

On the subject of the proposed track changes I would suggest an alteration to abbey. As it stands the new track turns onto the south circuit at the chicane and then left onto the national circuit straight - I assume to increase overtaking. The problem is that neither the national or international circuit back straight are long enough to do any such thing. I hope they realise this and make abbey a flat out right hand kink providing a huge braking area at the hairpin. Fingers crossed.

Reply to Thread New Thread