LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
broksaksaak

Default Hello, and a quick question regarding MSA and my Rally Mini build!
Firstly hi all, hoping to find some useful information here after a good nose around,

secondly, I am building a classic mini which I will be doing some rallying in, I have started from a bare shell and welded in a full cage, tied in to all structural points, however I have removed the rear seat back/bulkhead to gain better access during the build. The shell is so strong now I don't actually need it, and the fuel tank will be put under the boot floor (custom), but I have been told by someone that it will not pass scrutineering with a "structural" panel missing. I've been through the blue book and can't find anything that completely confirms or denies this, and it's a 80's shell and being modified I will not want to run it in a mint historic class, though it will still have the original type engine etc.

I know this is a bit technical but can anyone tell me if I need to replace the rear bulkhead or not, and if so if I can do it in carbon or if it needs to be the original steel panel?

Thanks!

TC

Old 04-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
avaiguite

I wouldn't have a clue, you could try contacting your local scrutineer (the one that will have to logbook it) and seeing what they think.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
broksaksaak

Yes thanks, I've just found out I have 2 who are very local so shall ring them!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
illiderob

I don't keep fully up to date on current stuff but you may find you have gone outside the changes from homologated spec that enable a log book to be issued in the simplest MSA category. Otherwise there are difficult hoops to go through (the ones that have now outlawed the Burton Peugeot).
However, I do not understand a fuel tank below the boot floor of a "classic" Mini. That's the very last place to consider putting it!
Changes to the unitary construction between the wheel hub centres will also rule you out of competing in either of the "production" categories in sprints and hill climbs if you ever wanted to and would put you in with sports racing cars.
One other point. A scrutineer is not a definitive interpreter of published MSA regulations. Ultimately, only a court of law can decide. So all competitors are fully entitiled to argue their own interpretation of current MSC/A regs if they wish to.

Reply to Thread New Thread