LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
lammaredder

Default The Lady Gaga fur debacle
*EDIT* Letter was confirmed to be fake, but the controversy over Gaga's coats remains.

Ke$ha Sent A Mean Letter To Lady Gaga

Pictures of Gaga wearing the coats in question:

I despise PETA, so it's hard for me to read the (oddly eloquent) letter from Ke$ha, but if the fur is real... really disappointed that Lady Gaga would go back on her word. That's what makes me think the coats weren't real fur. *shrug*

Old 08-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
HexcewlyRette

Ke$ha's grammar gives me a headache.

I'd boycott Nike long before I'd boycott fur. I honestly see nothing wrong in killing animals for 'pleasure' if it's done humanely and sustainably, and I think that the key to improving things is to change legislation rather than make fur taboo.

Also, the letter wouldn't have been leaked if it wasn't just a stupid publicity stunt.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
OccabsLam

Fake. http://www.fuse.tv/2012/08/kesha-let...aga-bashes-fur

Even if Gaga's coats aren't actually real, I'm very disappointed in her for not condemning fur. Her justification for wearing it in the name of "art" is awful. She's lost a huge amount of respect from me.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
steevytraunse

I honestly see nothing wrong in killing animals for 'pleasure' if it's done humanely and sustainably
But that's exactly how it's mostly not done, and frankly it won't. I don't like to agree with Peta, but fur is the worst. Animals are only bred for their fur, there is no sustainability.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
gundos

Why is it assumed the fur is real? Is wearing fake fur also wrong?

I understand the pink fur was Georgio Armani, who produces plenty of faux fur items. Hermes, not so much, but there is a first time for everything, right?

Anyway, LG responded.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
WUlcN1Rz

Well, she wouldn't be the first fame whore to righteously denounce fur and other animal products (for publicity) in one breath and wrap it around themselves (for publicity) a bit later. See: most of the supermodels, Pamela Anderson etc.

Anyway, I don't really care whether Gaga wants to wear fur or not but the letter she published defending herself was the most tedious fucking bolus of smug self-satisfaction and faux-intellectualism since Madonna last opened her mouth trying to sound deep. The whole stunt smells of a certain desperation to shock.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
OccabsLam

Wearing fake fur is not wrong, but Gaga's response posted above is what disgusted me. "An absolute art piece of a coat" and "you see a carcass..." = shut the fuck up. And I say that as someone who generally really likes her. It sure doesn't sound like her fur is fake. And even if it is fake, that response pretty much endorses wearing the real thing as long as it's ~fabulous~ enough. Ugh x 1000.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
nilliraq

Fake. http://www.fuse.tv/2012/08/kesha-let...aga-bashes-fur

Even if Gaga's coats aren't actually real, I'm very disappointed in her for not condemning fur. Her justification for wearing it in the name of "art" is awful. She's lost a huge amount of respect from me.
Agree..

Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
usatramadolusa

I think she meant to write "hypocritical" instead of "hypercritical."

Also, that response is fraught with non sequiturs and horse pucky.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
gundos

No, it certainly doesn't sound like the fur is fake (though I might place a bet on that hot pink thing... surely that's fake, right?), but I think she also makes a valid point that it's along the same lines as the other animal skins she's worn that didn't cause an uproar. I'm not really a fan of hers, nor am I a fan of wearing animals, but I don't recall any outrage or backlash over the meat dress, wolf carcass or other animal skins she's worn in the past. But that's probably because I'm not paying attention!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
Immarsecice

That response makes her look like an immature asshole.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
RSAccountssy

I think she meant to write "hypocritical" instead of "hypercritical."

Also, that response is fraught with non sequiturs and horse pucky.
She corrected herself later, if that matters.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Maserati

ke$ha is an illiterate glitter whore, so theres that sorted.

lady gagas response is just so.......precious. shes so far up her own ass it's likely perforating her tonsils. she's tired.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
MizzDaizzy

I just...... ... "let's bitch out the chick who wore a side of beef as a dress for now wearing fur."
duh? Is there a thought process behind that? Anyone, anyone?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
shashaffff

I just...... ... "let's bitch out the chick who wore a side of beef as a dress for now wearing fur."
Right. Lady Gaga is an attention whore, but so are PETA. Where was the outrage when she wore the meat dress? Where was the protest when she had the big fake bear fur (or was it? ) on in the Bad Romance video? There were also some sort of stuffed gazelle heads on the wall. If you're going to be outraged, at least be consistent and thorough.

Also, PETA has euthanized a shitload of animals. I understand there are over-populations of things like strays, and that euthanasia is a reality (and probably a necessity) when it comes to managing feral animal populations, but there seems to be something incongruous in PETA's message versus their actions.

It's probably a good thing that Ke$ha quickly distanced herself from that fake letter, because:

Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Navzrrqt

Fur is beautiful, and PETA needs to be annihilated.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
warrgazur

Well, she wouldn't be the first fame whore to righteously denounce fur and other animal products (for publicity) in one breath and wrap it around themselves (for publicity) a bit later. See: most of the supermodels, Pamela Anderson etc.

Anyway, I don't really care whether Gaga wants to wear fur or not but the letter she published defending herself was the most tedious fucking bolus of smug self-satisfaction and faux-intellectualism since Madonna last opened her mouth trying to sound deep. The whole stunt smells of a certain desperation to shock.
to all of this.

"And Kim Kardashian is fabulous"? OKAY.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Maserati

Fur is beautiful
is it? it looks tacky IMO. like ostentatious, conspicuous consumption all up in your face. im not really a dominion over animals kind of person and wearing fur is just rude. there are better, more attractive products for warmth+fashion in much of the world.

that said, peta is shit. the stuff of teenage fauxactivism. they disappoint me. i certainly think factory farms and beating the shit out of elephants for entertainment is bullshit, i think there are better ways to "raise awareness" and solve problems.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
Immusaatmonna

YOU CANT CUDDLE BEEF.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
limpoporanique

stunt
teenage fauxactivism
exactly!
there is so much wrong about how fur, or even wool and leather are made, and not just animal cruelty (who talks about how environmentally friendly those "farms" really are or how the people working there are treated?!). living in a time where we are advanced enough that it has become more of a luxury than a necessity this is such a serious issue, but PETA and Gaga acting like schoolgirls doesn't really help at all.

"fur is murder! ur ugly"
"no ur ugly, carcass LOLZ"

Reply to Thread New Thread