LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #21
thushioli

Wow! Let me just say first...A big Thank you to you Annie! And secondly, keep up the good work!! You qualify to be canonized as a saint in my opinion.

PS. If it's any consolation, i grew up eating Quaker Oats and loved them.

Growing up in Ohio, i was surrounded by Quakers and Shakers, and man, do they know how to make pies!!!

Keep up the good fight. The world need more people like you!

Frank
Frank-- PLEASE spare me from sainthood! I am rife with all the seven deadly sins and some of them I am quite enjoying and intend to keep, thank you very much! I am LOVING my life here. I get onto my email in my jamies in my bed every morning with my coffee and am in contact with the folks who love HAiti and we try to figure out something positive.

I just had the great good fortune to fall into the hands of the Quakers at an early age. My family was rich and they had the best schools .. like Sidwell Friends in DC where both Clinton and Obama sent their kids.. And the Quakers are MASTER educators.. they just train you to "find your call that is all in all"

My grand mother's grandmother, Josephine Sophia Griffing, founded the Freedman's Beaureau in DC after the Civil War and I have been marching for racial harmony since 1962 so perhaps it is just in my blood.

But no missionary stuff for me, thanks anyway!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
thushioli

Good job Annie, you started something!

Is the Paypal button/tip jar for the Haitians, or for the guitar??
ok,,, finally got clarity on the DONATE button

http://elizabetheames.blogspot.com/2...button_03.html
pass the hat, please

I will take the equivalent of a frio (or more) from anyone who has the pesos!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #23
thushioli

Since there are many different types of Quakers.. and since I do not expect you all to slog through 5 years of the blog

here Changing Perspectives: Quaker School- Quaker Values

is the post that perhaps describes my experience

Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #24
ssupermegatone

Frank-- PLEASE spare me from sainthood! I am rife with all the seven deadly sins and some of them I am quite enjoying and intend to keep, thank you very much! I am LOVING my life here. I get onto my email in my jamies in my bed every morning with my coffee and am in contact with the folks who love HAiti and we try to figure out something positive.

I just had the great good fortune to fall into the hands of the Quakers at an early age. My family was rich and they had the best schools .. like Sidwell Friends in DC where both Clinton and Obama sent their kids.. And the Quakers are MASTER educators.. they just train you to "find your call that is all in all"

My grand mother's grandmother, Josephine Sophia Griffing, founded the Freedman's Beaureau in DC after the Civil War and I have been marching for racial harmony since 1962 so perhaps it is just in my blood.

But no missionary stuff for me, thanks anyway!
Quakers have just been remembering the 350th. aniversary of the Quaker peace testimony. A year ago.

Many Quakers live incredibably simple lives although holding highly paid positions in medicine etc.

Peace testimony anniversary | Quakers in Britain

pi2

Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
Finanziamento

There certainly are many types of Quakers:

Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
thushioli

There certainly are many types of Quakers:

Yes... You know his mother spent the year before his election travelling among Quaker Meetings telling them not to vote for her son since he did not embody Quaker values. And his Meeting in Whittier, CA wrote a public letter asking that he stop identifying himself as a Quaker. Resonding endorsements, eh?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
ssupermegatone

Yes... You know his mother spent the year before his election travelling among Quaker Meetings telling them not to vote for her son since he did not embody Quaker values. And his Meeting in Whittier, CA wrote a public letter asking that he stop identifying himself as a Quaker. Resonding endorsements, eh?
Also of course Daisy Dougnlas Barr of KKK fame. Quakers believe that the individual conscience is the guide ; not the Good Book. It is somewhat strange to go to a Quaker meeting and hear the testomonies. The underlying element in Quakerism is perhaps practice of what the conscience dictates - this unites Quakers. So there may not be a contradiction between McCarthy etc. being Quakers; Just that their consciences led them in different directions to most others. Of course early Quakers, Penn etc. kept slaves.

pi2

Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
nerrttrw

This is a wonderful blog, E, and very informative. Thank you!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
thushioli

Also of course Daisy Dougnlas Barr of KKK fame. Quakers believe that the individual conscience is the guide ; not the Good Book. It is somewhat strange to go to a Quaker meeting and hear the testomonies. The underlying element in Quakerism is perhaps practice of what the conscience dictates - this unites Quakers. So there may not be a contradiction between McCarthy etc. being Quakers; Just that their consciences led them in different directions to most others. Of course early Quakers, Penn etc. kept slaves.

Well,

pi2
Well,
PENN did not keep slaves.... but yes, many Quakers did. We had one Friend, John Woolman, who traveled among Friends in the South "laboring" with them over the issue for 20 years! And they did not pass a minute against slavery until he died. Friends take a long time to consensus-- which is, I guess, come together in conscience.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
thushioli

Changing Perspectives: A rant on Missionaries
new entry

Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #31
thushioli

pi2
thanks .. I had not heard of Barr.. here is one discussion
Holy Ordinary: Musings and Photography from a Quaker Perspective: Lost Quaker Journals: #4 -- Daisy Douglass Barr

but McCarthy? Perhaps you mistook the photo of Richard Nixon? who was raised, ineffectively, by a Quaker family inside a Quaker Meeting.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #32
ssupermegatone

I am sorry ; but like my Godfather who was also an important Quaker; you are choosing to re-write the history books.

Evidence is that Penn preferred slaves to servants; he kept slaves; he liberated some.

William Penn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

welcome to penns woods: William Penn And Slavery

Actually his writings supported slave owning too.

Do not argue with me : Edit Wilkipedia with your evidence: but I have seen some of his original documents and am convinced the two sources cited; and many others; are correct.

Of course the Cadbury family and other important Quakers used slavery to support thier empires. Well into the 20th century In Africa ; elsewhere!

Cadbury's

As a child I was always persuaded not to eat the product of this evil trade.

pi2

BBC News - How did Quakers conquer the British sweet shop?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
ssupermegatone

thanks .. I had not heard of Barr.. here is one discussion
Holy Ordinary: Musings and Photography from a Quaker Perspective: Lost Quaker Journals: #4 -- Daisy Douglass Barr

but McCarthy? Perhaps you mistook the photo of Richard Nixon? who was raised, ineffectively, by a Quaker family inside a Quaker Meeting.
Sorry : of course McCarthy was a close friend of RN and had a similar but different intense religious upbringing.

Smedly Butler was of course an important Quaker from that part of the US.

Anyhow the point I was trying to make is that you can believe all sorts of strange things as a member of a Quaker meeting as long as you turn up and carry out good works. Masons with a difference?

pi2

Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
Finanziamento

It wasn't my intent to imply that he is the poster child of the Quaker movement. I just find astonishingly ironic that he was raised Quaker. David Byrne is a way cooler example. Also Quaker weddings are awesome. Two of my friends were married with Quaker ceremonies and it's what I would want. My favorite historic Quaker was an 18th century guy who was dumped by his fiancee while he was away at sea. He went off the deep end and became a warlord in Afghanistan of all places.

Josiah Harlan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #35
Karensmith

Is the thread about Quakers or is is about Mountainannie's blog? Let's get this back on track or else the posts start to disappear.

This is my conscious opinion on what should be done.

HB

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #36
ssupermegatone

NO, it is not!

Don't be a axx**** or you will be off this board!!

HB

Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #37
bypeTeenehalT

See "HB",he just posts,he never reads!
CC

Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #38
thushioli

new post

I know where I wanna go to party!
Changing Perspectives: S.E.M Martelly chante pour Sean Penn au Palais National

Old 06-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
bypeTeenehalT

I wanna go too!
So I can punch Sean Penn in the nose!
I think he is a really good actor,but not my cup od political tea.
He is the "Jane Fonda" of this generation.He and Danny Glover both.
As far as I am concerned,they are both guilty of treason against the United States of America,for giving "aid and comfort" to the enemy!
They both love,and support,"Castro","Chavez",Achmadinajad(SP?) and others.
At least God is taking care of Castro,and Chavez,and the Israelis will soon take care of "That Iranian"!
"Annie" I jst saw your picture on your "Blog".You look like you could be my older sister,but when she was MUCH younger.
Since you were raised in "GV" during it's more "Radical" political time,I can forgive you for your "Unusual Politics",not really "Politics",but for being so "Nice"!
Keep swimming against the tide,you'l get there!
CC

Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #40
Abaronos

Annie,

I just read your blog here about the missionaries in Haiti, the Mudhuts vs cement block houses, etc...it was spot on and funny. I really enjoy your writing and wit--they're both a breath of fresh air.

Changing Perspectives: A rant on Missionaries

Frank

Reply to Thread New Thread