LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-13-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
PharmaDrMan

Default Chacabana
Oscar de la Renta apparently sees a use for them. Some say they are good for dressing up anytime. I'd like to know what our beloved DR1 posters have so say in answer to;
Chacabanas - thumbs up or thumbs down.
- when appropriate...or not
- what about a gringo in one?

Okay...let's hear it.

Smiles and sun to all.

Justin

Old 01-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #2
skiboyx

I used to think they were for older Latin men. Then a buddy of mine (early 20's gringo) wore out out to dinner at a nice resaurant for my wifes birthday here in Salt Lake. He looked really sharp. So I plan to pick one up the next time I am in DR.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
leareliovag

If golo were still around we'd be measuring his reaction on the richter scale. Do a search on chacabana and guayabera and you'll see what I mean.

I think they are for old men. They have an old fashioned feel to them.
Well, I like guayaberas. Some of them are very nice and if you are not fat, they fit very well. In the USA they are known as "Cuban Shirts" and rightly so, since they were born in Cuba and they can be worn on many occasions. In Mexico they like them too. I just don't know how that name "chacabana" came about. It does not even sound good. I like Guayabera. Do Dominican men wear them a lot or is their reputation in the DR not as good as it is in Cuba? For tropical countries, they are perfect. Even Filipinos developed their own form of Guayabera which they named the barong tagalog.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
PhillipHer

If golo were still around we'd be measuring his reaction on the richter scale. Do a search on chacabana and guayabera and you'll see what I mean.

I think they are for old men. They have an old fashioned feel to them.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
SaraKonradtt

Guayaberas are usually consider a sign of power and maturity.. but today designers are giving a new feel to it.. I invite all to visit our site .Bienvenidos al Web Site de Arcadio Díaz to judge for your self.
Att
Albin...
Mike your welcome to stop by and see the process once we open our factory.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
SaraKonradtt

Ah before I get a bunch of comments from those that think that Chacabanas/guayaberas are for chopos...
Please understand that is in our culture to wear them on occasions where you need to be formal but weather does not permit a suit..
now I dont know many chopos tha own Arcadio or hipolito's guayavera.
The reason why i am even writing about this topic is because I want to know how many of us where this shirt or how many of us will consider wearing a new style guayabera...
El respecto al derecho ajeno ........la paz// in those lines as B.Juarez said.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
Viyzarei

I have couple of short-sleeved single-colored ones. They look good and I only heard comments that they looked nice.

The first one I bought without even knowing what I was buing was at Jumbo in Santiago a year ago.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #8
SaraKonradtt

In about 4 weeks Ill be making tours of our factory so you can see how Guayaberas are made...
Zona Franca Santiago....
Rubio_higuey if your are in town shoot me a message And I ll give you a tour...

Old 04-10-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
Guaranano

Only elegant and prestige men wear chacabanas, as doctors, lawyers, executives.... chola 1978 congratulations for that nice business, good luck....rubio-higuey you are one of that group.......

Old 04-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #10
Kokomoxddcvcv

You will never be consider a chopo if you wear a guayabera. And if you do wear one you must be confident about it...........there's a certain 'yo no se que' that comes from wearing a guayabera......and if you add a hat, wow, it completes the look.......its true that it gives you a mature kinda of look.....so if anyone is planning on wearing a guayabera you must do a whole analysis of the look you want to portrait...........

Old 04-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
SaraKonradtt

M.A.R
gracias,,,,
with today fabirc technology you can even get sport type guayaberas...

Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Wsjltrhe

I always thought they were more of a casual shirt. Are they really considered somewhat formal in today's Dominican society?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
grizolsemn

I have about 5 of them. White, Lt Blue, Black, Tan and Dark Blue. All short sleeve.

I wore the white one with some fitted black/gold pin-stripe slacks and leather sandals this past Saturday as we hosted a party at our house. Most of the Guests were Argentine and American. There was a sense of feeling when I opened the door to greet the guests with the Guayabera. All of them went "WOW/NICE".. Where do I get them? Towards the end of the night I went to my Humidor and pulled a Romeo&Julieta and placed it on my top Pocket.. BAM.. Finishing touch!

Once in a whole I wear one around town with some slacks or Jeans and people KNOW I'm not local to here..

Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
gennick

it's like a Cubavera shirt (casual short sleeve cotton or linen shirt) with four pockets and a little longer.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
PhillipHer

Do a Google Images search on "guayabera".

Old 05-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #16
truttyMab

what the heck is chacabana? i did google search and it showed variety of things including a picture of britney spears behind - without ropa interior for that matter. i wasn't ready, my eyes hurt.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #17
M1iFiNmC

seems like a fancy name for a shirt to me .......how would I spot one of these miraculous garments

There are short and long sleeve. The classy long sleeve models (called Guayabera in the DR) will have the old style flip over cuffs.
Only in the DR have I seen that they'd call only long sleeve versions "Guayabera" and the short sleeve version Chacabana. Cubans and most South Americans refer to the short sleeved version or both as Guayabera.

Guayabera can be worn at high class social gatherings, paired with white or black slacks and quality matching shoes. A quality hat and maybe some gold here and there. A quality Guayabera can easily cost USD 200.oo and up at fine gentlemen's boutiques in major cities of Latin America.

The key is quality. So, you want to be extra careful whom you buy from:

'Cause if you happen to be taken for the fake stuff, you may soon find yourself surrounded by folk who prefer to wear nothing at all.

and will never look like the real deal:

... J-D.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #18
truttyMab

ok, i see, old people's clothes.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #19
TudareWQT

I personally like them, but not everyone looks good on them.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #20
rojettafoxx

[QUOTE=juancarlos;266881] I just don't know how that name "chacabana" came about. It does not even sound good. I like Guayabera. QUOTE]

While in the DR in July, I went to several stores in Santo Domingo looking for a guayabera. I was asked twice what was a guayabera. It seems to me that young people are the ones using the term chacabana, more so that older generations.

There are also guayaberas for women. I have two of them. At a store I saw one with very short sleeves (for women) - just beautiful.

Reply to Thread New Thread