LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
lipitrRrxX

good to know... What's the ballpark for getting into something decent? I'm not adverse to high km cars (I had a 95 civic with 300,000km's and would have continued to drive it), and I know Toyotas handle km's very well.

I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge, so I can do basic maintenance myself (hammerdown - the belt story you mentioned gave me shudders!), but things like suspension, major powertrain issues, and oil changes (yes, I know they are basic, but some things are worth the money!), I'll leave to the pros..

Where I come from, the biggest problem cars generally have is rust. Is that a common issue here? Is body work expensive in the DR?

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
urbalatte

Thanks for the reply. That is very cheap! What model do you drive?

What's the gradient on that? How old would the car have to be to not be covered for damage to my vehicle?
You can purchase full coverage insurance up to 10 yrs old. After that, you're stuck with just liability.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #23
natahololll

Toyota, Toyota, Toyota. Labor is generally inexpensive in the DR. Had a 94 Toyota Corolla that we bought from a "reputable" used car lot in Moca. Turned out the car had been wrecked many times (once by me) and really was two cars that were pieced together. It had even been rolled over a time or two. We drove it and drove it without a single major problem. One week before we were to sell it to my wife's sister the motor gave out. We bought and installed a new used engine for about $600 USD and sold it to sis who is still driving and loves the car. She keeps it up better than we did and it looks great. Wife talked me into a Ford Explorer and its like owning a boat as far as $ goes. Did I say buy a Toyota?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #24
Avoireeideree

Check out Supercarros.com that will give you a ball park figure but 150,000 not going to get you something really good here My 2000 basic Tacoma no power windows or central locking but in great shape cost 400,000 4 years ago but I could probabally sell it for 300-325 now if wanted. Best vehicle for this country IMHO 4 cylinder is economic and still has power not to mention I can go anywhere in it. I had a Honda Civic here as well and it was great parts where easy to find but with the roads in the country my truck rules !!! Check out Supercarros vehicles here are exspensive !

Old 09-07-2012, 03:29 AM   #25
StitlyDute

I know Toyota's best here but they seems to have premium of RD$100k+ because it's Toyota. I've been looking for decent one under 400k but I feel I can do much better from other brand with that price. I've looked at Ford Escape the other day. What's the census on Ford Escape here?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
Avoireeideree

Guys have to stop thinking this is the good ol USA where you can get good used cars for low prices its just not like that here. Cars that would cost 3-5 grand in america cost 6-15 grand here.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #27
lipitrRrxX

Are Honda's easy to source parts for? Mechanics are familiar with them? Truth told, after having driving a Honda for the last 7 years, I'm fairly familiar with them.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
urbalatte

Usually every Honda I see in front of me is "Much lower to the ground" then Toyota.

The "speed bumps" are a bigger problem here with "Honda".

When a Honda is in front of me and a speed bump is coming up,
I know the Honda driver will be taking most of the road (On an angle) to get across the speed bump,
and at a much lower speed.
Hondas are routinely "lowered" here so they look "cool". That's why Dominicans like them so much.

A stock suspension vehicle isn't that low.

And, I can definitely tell you good luck with finding anything good for 150K

To give you an idea, go to supercarros, and do a sort on all vehicles, from lowest price to highest. Out of 9000+ cars, only about 40 or so are less than 150K..

Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #29
Nwxffgke

Are Honda's easy to source parts for? Mechanics are familiar with them? Truth told, after having driving a Honda for the last 7 years, I'm fairly familiar with them.
Usually every Honda I see in front of me is "Much lower to the ground" then Toyota.

The "speed bumps" are a bigger problem here with "Honda".

When a Honda is in front of me and a speed bump is coming up,
I know the Honda driver will be taking most of the road (On an angle) to get across the speed bump,
and at a much lower speed.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #30
Avoireeideree

Honda is popular here but I have to agree with SantiagoDR low to the ground ! I know when I had my 200 Civic I had to be careful over speed bumps and ditches. I also belive in you get what you pay for as one of my Dominican buddy would say Un Carro cuesta 150,000 peso es 150,000 problemos !

Reply to Thread New Thread