LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Bwvapays

I spoke with a rep at the Dominican Embassy here in Canada and was told Tourist Card is valid for 60 days and can be extended locally for another 60 days max.. does anyone know wher in POP this can be done..hoping to spend 3-4 months next year checking things out.Anyone recommend good rental are or best to walk around ??we have made quite a few friends over the years travelling to POP..15 times now. Everyone knows someone who has a "great place" ..will be looking for 2 bedroom..prefer 1 with AC.. mid January I hope!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
giftplas

From what I've read online at this site: Dominican Republic Visa, Canada: Application for Dominican Visa for Canadians. Canadians get 60 days on their tourist card which has always been handed to me on the plane no matter which Canadian airline I've used (3 different ones so far) every time I've come and on flights to both POP and PUJ.

At the top of the page it has links to the site for US citizens and UK citizens who it says must purchase a card which is only valid for a 30 day stay.

I haven't bothered looking any of this up for a few years, but I do remember reading back 4 or 5 years ago, that it depended on what country you were from as to how long the card was valid for - 30 or 60 days. This would confirm what Katiejay was told if the site above is up to date and accurate. I may give them a call and inquire since I live near the US border and could go that way as well as Canada direct.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #3
Franchise

From what I've read online at this site: Dominican Republic Visa, Canada: Application for Dominican Visa for Canadians. Canadians get 60 days on their tourist card which has always been handed to me on the plane no matter which Canadian airline I've used (3 different ones so far) every time I've come and on flights to both POP and PUJ.

At the top of the page it has links to the site for US citizens and UK citizens who it says must purchase a card which is only valid for a 30 day stay.

I haven't bothered looking any of this up for a few years, but I do remember reading back 4 or 5 years ago, that it depended on what country you were from as to how long the card was valid for - 30 or 60 days. This would confirm what Katiejay was told if the site above is up to date and accurate. I may give them a call and inquire since I live near the US border and could go that way as well as Canada direct.
Another ridiculous Dominican TAX. Wait in line to buy a $10 card to turn it in twenty feet away. Maybe they can think of a slightly more efficient method.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
poulaMahmah

If you are travelling from the UK you can buy your tourist cards from the Dominican Republic embassy before you travel. Saves a lot of hassle at the airport when you land.

Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie

Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
ensuppono

Since years you don't have to fill in anything, you buy a little preprinted card, it's at least 5 years ago that I had to buy a tourist card that I had to fill in. It hasn't taken me more than 5 minutes either, but I have only arrived to Las Americas (many times). Migration is a fluent process as well lately, and even suitcases (if not missing, Air France manages to lose at least one of our suitcases every second time I arrive) are on the belt quickly. Las America's has improved big time since my first arrival here in 2000.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
poulaMahmah

I believe the tourist card costs 10 POUNDS in the UK rather than $10, so you are paying nearly half as much more!
Yes it does, but it saves having to stand in a queue for up to an hour in the heat and humidity. In our case, we fel it is worth the extra expense, especially after a long cramped flight.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie

Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
occurrini

This one is from Terms and conditions:
"If the Tourist Card while being checked at the check point, happens to be a duplicate, is not validated by the system, or appears as to have not been issued in the system, it will not be accepted. In this case the Tourist will have to assume the costs of buying a new card at the air, land, or sea port of arrival to be able to access the Dominican Republic."
I do not recall much checking being done at Puerto Plata, they just take the card and wave you through.

I think most Canadian airlines include the cost of the card in their fare and hand them out before landing. They usually tell the passengers to make sure they hang onto the card as they will need it to leave the country. It is fun to see the panicked look on their faces as the card is taken away from them as they enter the immigration area.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
Casyimipist

You've obviously not been on the Thomas Cook flights from Manchester in May or October as the queue for the cards winds all the way back down the "temporary" walkway. In May we were told that the queue lasted for at least 45 minutes......................

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
No, I have not been on a Thomas Cook flight but I have seen when several planes landed at the same time at SDQ. Easily well over 300 people scrambling to get in line so I can see in certain cases buying the tourist card in advance is a blessing.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
zuhraliyana

Just another way to get your credit card number,

Buy it at the Airport when you land, and avoid creating another potential problem......

How much time are you really saving?

You're in that much of a hurry, while on vacation?

SAD......

Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
TodeImmabbedo

When doing online purchases it is best to use a Virtual Account number. That means you are using a credit card number that is good for only one use with a maximum limit you set and it expires quickly if not used. Check for a credit card company that offers such a service. It works very well and protects your actual credit card number from fraud.
I concur, excellent idea, credit card fraud is not victimless.......many people suffer terrible hardships because of the unscrupulous and evil fraudsters that operate on the uneducated.

dave

Old 09-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
LsrSRVxR

If you are travelling from the UK you can buy your tourist cards from the Dominican Republic embassy before you travel. Saves a lot of hassle at the airport when you land.

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
The longest it ever took me to buy the tourist card was 5 minutes, hardly a hassle, a lot faster than going to an embassy.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
zuhraliyana

We have pre-bought our cards for the last eight years without any problems at all.
We are saving at least 45 minutes stood in a queue.
I want to enjoy my holiday, not spend the beginning of it stuck in an airport.
SAD?? Not going to dignify that with a reply.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
I'm glad it's working out for you,

I have been there over 76 times, since the early 90's and have never encountered a 45 minute wait, and its never been much of a hassle.

But with the new information that you have posted, in your case, it seems to make sense.....

And I'm glad you have not had any credit card (fraud) problems.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Kingerix

And on top of that, the Brugal stand with free rum at POP, makes the short wait pleasurable.

Having said that, Jetair used to include them in their fare. The last time I flew Arkefly (aaaargggghhhhhh....), and I had to buy one on arrival. Thank god for Brugal... I needed it after that horrible flight.

BelgianK

Old 09-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
dubballey

@Reidy620 - We all have different opinions!

If you obtain pleasure by purchasing your tourist card before your flight, I am truly happy for you and the misses.

I never waited more than five or ten minutes to buy mine in POP, SDQ, or STI. If I went to the RD Embassy in my home city, it would take me more than 45 minutes of my time that I can spend buying gifts for my beloved Dominican wives @ Century 21. I am never in any sort of rush in RD, but that is what I choose to do with my time, and I respect how you spend your time.

No need to attack others with contrasting opinions mate.

felicidades,

ian

PS: They used to sell them at the counter in Newark @ CO for $11, JAJA!
I'm usually one of the first ones off the plane and have never had to wait to buy a card. Just have exact change and you're good to go.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
poulaMahmah

The longest it ever took me to buy the tourist card was 5 minutes, hardly a hassle, a lot faster than going to an embassy.
You've obviously not been on the Thomas Cook flights from Manchester in May or October as the queue for the cards winds all the way back down the "temporary" walkway. In May we were told that the queue lasted for at least 45 minutes before people realised that they had a long form to fill in & no pen to do it with before they got to the kiosk.
Plus, if you read my post, you will see that you apply for them via the mail not "going to the embassy" - perhaps you might want to read my post fully before making comments.
We fly to the DR twice a year (since 1995) and have found it a godsend to have the card in your hand after a 9 hour flight.
Hope this clears up any confusion.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
halfstreet

Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
I believe the tourist card costs 10 POUNDS in the UK rather than $10, so you are paying nearly half as much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
poulaMahmah

Just another way to get your credit card number,
Buy it at the Airport when you land, and avoid creating another potential problem......
How much time are you really saving?
You're in that much of a hurry, while on vacation?
SAD......
We have pre-bought our cards for the last eight years without any problems at all.
We are saving at least 45 minutes stood in a queue.
I want to enjoy my holiday, not spend the beginning of it stuck in an airport.
SAD?? Not going to dignify that with a reply.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie

Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
sterofthemasteool

And on top of that, the Brugal stand with free rum at POP, makes the short wait pleasurable.

Having said that, Jetair used to include them in their fare. The last time I flew Arkefly (aaaargggghhhhhh....), and I had to buy one on arrival. Thank god for Brugal... I needed it after that horrible flight.

BelgianK
Damn... no Brugal for us in PUJ!!!! All we get is some guys playing music. LOL

Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #19
Nopayof

Wow, 45 minutes....I'd probably pay double not to go through that too. I guess the difference is the planeload of tourists, as opposed to American Airlines out of JFK to SDQ, where I can count the tourists on one hand, 99% Dominican or dual citizens like Mr. AE who don't need the card. Have never waited more than about 2 minutes, if that.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #20
LsrSRVxR

@Reidy620 - We all have different opinions!

If you obtain pleasure by purchasing your tourist card before your flight, I am truly happy for you and the misses.

I never waited more than five or ten minutes to buy mine in POP, SDQ, or STI. If I went to the RD Embassy in my home city, it would take me more than 45 minutes of my time that I can spend buying gifts for my beloved Dominican wives @ Century 21. I am never in any sort of rush in RD, but that is what I choose to do with my time, and I respect how you spend your time.

No need to attack others with contrasting opinions mate.

felicidades,

ian

PS: They used to sell them at the counter in Newark @ CO for $11, JAJA!

Reply to Thread New Thread