LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #21
fotodemujerahldesnugdo

According to the International Shark Attack File, the last "unprovoked" attack in the DR was in 1963. The page was updated in January of this year, but there seems to be more recent cases of attacks that are documented but not included in the ISAF. (dv8's post and various others available in online Dominican newspapers).
Either way, and as other posters have mentioned, sharks are around, generally not aggressive, and the number of attacks occurring in Caribbean waters is low. Matilda's posts as an experienced shark diving instructor deserve credit on this subject, as experience is often a good source of information.

FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Bahamas' and the Antilles' Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
WFSdZuP3

No idea if this is historically accurate, but:

LAS NOTICIAS QUE LEO: JESUS DE GALINDEZ...UNA VÍCTIMA DE TRUJILLO....
That's nuts, as dv8 says, more like a bond movie or old gangster movie. Would be interesting to know for sure if this kind of thing actually did (if it did it almost certainly does) go on.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
WFSdZuP3

How do you provoke a shark as apposed to unprovoke, tell it 'Yo Mama' jokes?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #24
fruttomma

That's nuts, as dv8 says, more like a bond movie or old gangster movie. Would be interesting to know for sure if this kind of thing actually did (if it did it almost certainly does) go on.
As I said, it may be hyperbole, but when it comes to Latin American dictatorships, truth can be much stranger than fiction. The Somozas (Nicaragua) are said to have fed their victims to the jaguars in their private zoo, while others were dropped into the craters of active volcanoes. We all know what the Argentinians used to do.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
fotodemujerahldesnugdo

Provoked vs unprovoked. This is a different site than the ISAF but data for categorizing attacks is collected using the same type of information.

How to search GSAF data

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
IoninnyHaro

Hi:

In Las Terrenas I have never seen any sharks in the water. The reef on Playa Las Ballenas seems to keep the large fish at bay, however I did see one of the fishermen bring in a 5' tiger shark one morning. This was a mile or so out in ocean where this fisherman caught this shark. They are out there.. da, da, da, da, da, da , da ,da................

LTS

Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
lollypopz

You guys are so amusing
Good Thread young one.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #28
voksveta

I stick to swimming pools... no oceans, lakes, rivers for me... I don't like any damn fish - no matter how small or big !!!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
pMJWFoAWD

i went to dive here only once, in sosua bay. with a corner of my eye i saw something big in the deeper water but i did not want to look to close
i do not know what fish in DR grow as big as humans

generally i do what barbie does: i do not swim very well and i never go into the sea/ocean/river/lake where i cannot feel the bottom. i am always worried the water will get into my eyes and wash out my contacts. without them i see nada.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
Brareevor

Poke fun at its color, or the shape of its head. ''Hey Hammerhead!'' That should provoke him!

Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #31
gimffnfabaykal

"Yo mama is so ugly that she even scares the crab out of the crabs" must be the one that provokes them.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 AM   #32
GenryDont

Sharks live in all the oceans. The DR has almost no history of shark attacks. Its nothing to worry about. You are unlikely to swim in the Mona passage unless you are in a yola sneaking off to Puerto Rico and sink.
Not entirely true. The North Coast is pretty much void of shark attacks, the reason is said to be the polluted waters in the bays keep their main food sources several miles offshore, so they are not known to proliferate off the waters of the North Coast, however on the South Coast, Shark Attacks average about one every year or so , and at times, you can see sharks in the waters off the coast near Santo Domingo. There have been major attacks in the Dominican Republic in the past and in 1987 an entire contingent of people on a smuggler's boat. Nowhere near as dangerous as Miami, San Diego, the Great Barrier Reef or the waters off of South Africa, but they are out there. I caught a small one while fishing on the North Coast, but I was some 6-7 miles out of Sosua, maybe even 10.

1987/10/19 Boating ( Dominican Republic ) ***Many Fatal* : 1980 - 1989 Shark Attacks and Related Incidents

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...e-shark-attack

900 Pound Shark Caught Near Las Americas Airport! at Swim At Your Own Risk

Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #33
NudiJuicervich

I used to swim two to three hours a day in Sosua Bay, six clicks I reckon.

One day I'm swimming, and for some reason I looked up at the last minute only to see a soiled diaper a foot in front of my face. If I hadn't looked up, I would a have worn it like a cap. Maybe sharks don't like sh!tty diapers.

That was two years ago. I haven't swam there since!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #34
escolubtessen

There was a photo the other day and for the life of me I can't find it now of a guy on a moto with a shark tied to the back. Not a huge shark but big enough. Did anyone else see it?

**** Sorry didn't see the earlier post with the video...Same as the picture I saw the other day... I will put the wine away now..lol...

Old 05-31-2012, 04:09 AM   #35
voksveta

"Yo mama is so ugly that she even scares the crab out of the crabs" must be the one that provokes them.
I actually ran over a crab last week... tried to avoid it but ran it right over... opps !

Old 05-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #36
VistaULTIMATEdownloadaPro

Sharks don't like eating/attacking humans ! They mistake us for seals/turtles.... ! Are they really that stupid !? I thought they were the cleverest predators on the planet ! Which they are, and know very well what they are doing, even humans eat anything when hungry, so why not sharks !?

"Unprovoked" shark attacks ! What about excluding under 18s, young and foolish sharks etc..... ! Why not just give us the total stats !? (I give you a stat, jump in a pool with a shark that is not fed for a few days - chance of attack=100% !)

Number of people killed by sharks are so low.... ! (If you loose a leg/arm or scarred for life that is not a big deal, lets not count them !)

So many excuses... ! What for, what is so special about these nasty creatures !?

Why don't we just eat them, full of omega 3, shark fish & chips anyone.... ! We can save the poor cod and haddock from the extinction in the process !

Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #37
gimffnfabaykal

Sharks don't like eating/attacking humans ! They mistake us for seals/turtles.... ! Are they really that stupid !? I thought they were the cleverest predators on the planet ! Which they are, and know very well what they are doing, even humans eat anything when hungry, so why not sharks !?

"Unprovoked" shark attacks ! What about excluding under 18s, young and foolish sharks etc..... ! Why not just give us the total stats !? (I give you a stat, jump in a pool with a shark that is not fed for a few days - chance of attack=100% !)

Number of people killed by sharks are so low.... ! (If you loose a leg/arm or scarred for life that is not a big deal, lets not count them !)

So many excuses... ! What for, what is so special about these nasty creatures !?

Why don't we just eat them, full of omega 3, shark fish & chips anyone.... ! We can save the poor cod and haddock from the extinction in the process !
You woke up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #38
WFSdZuP3

Summers here, people pi$$ed by mid day!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #39
pMJWFoAWD

uzin, lose some of those !!!!! because it's too much!!!!!

see, an accidental shark bite is not quite like someone stepping on your foot on a dancefloor. it kinda hurts. this is why i prefer to be on a dry land, where sharks are not.

or are they...?

Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #40
fotodemujerahldesnugdo

People do eat sharks. Lots and lots and lots of them.

Sharkwater Trailer - YouTube

Reply to Thread New Thread