LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
Kimaamighed

The OP had his car light stolen, so if anyone can help that's fine.

Any further off-topic commentary about his alleged ostentatious choice of vehicle will be met with a ban.

Carry on...

Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #22
Karpattaisp

The headlight units are quite easy to remove if you know where to poke with a long blade or something similar. Scratches on the bumper are the telltale sign.

Thanks for your concern diable410. But seriously, a Chevy Tahoe? Why would I want a lorry instead of a fine German SUV that drives like a sports car?

And why can't I complain about someone nicking bits off my car?
"Porsche there is NO substitute" I rode in a Panamera once, no words can describe it. A Tahoe is SUV, and a Camary is a car, but a Panamera and a Cayenne are MACHINES!!!

Why not order the headlight from the Porsche dealership in la Capital instead of going through the headache by ordering it yourself or you and ask around and try to buy back your own light because the demand for that is really low in the DR and might save a great deal of money. I myself think the whole process is going to cost you an arm and a leg. If you told me you lived in LA,or NY and said this I think it will cost you around 1500USD to 2000USD to replace everything and check if any other damage was done when the light was stolen if you go to Porsche.

Good Luck!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
FsQGF1Mp

I was going to ship my Hummer there this year, but after reading this thread I think I will leave it home.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
Galsteinbok

I started this thread in the vain attempt that someone reading this might have some insight as to what happened and who these thieves are and as someone has already mentioned, there could even be an opportunity for me to buy my headlight back.

The Cayenne is a very popular vehicle here on the North Coast, by far the most popular luxury SUV, so it was also a "heads up" to my fellow Porsche drivers that we are being targeted.

I am by no means a millionaire, just a hard working guy who's a bit of a petrolhead. I've always had nice cars, especially Porsches. My first one was an old 924 as a 21 year old serving in the Air Force. I also have a very rare 968 cabrio. The only one in the country. I bought it off a fellow DR1 member from Jarabacoa as a wreck. My father and I restored it to factory condition and it's now a blast to drive and a real head turner.

Owning a nice car here in the DR does come with risks, but in my opinion they are secondary to the pleasure you can get driving here. Dominicans don't get jealous if you have nice wheels. In fact their attitude towards you changes for the better, you get respect, even from the policemen.
I would hazard a guess that:
Someone ordered a part.
Someone else stole it.

Yes, you are a victim you work hard and do not deserve this!
Now for the but........
Ostentatious display of wealth in a poor country attracts attention and makes you a target, unless you are connected and people don't fxxk with you.

Quote:
"Dominicans don't get jealous if you have nice wheels. In fact their attitude towards you changes for the better, you get respect, even from the policemen".
Why do you think this does not happen in the US or Europe?

Sorry for your loss!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
wasssallx

This has nothing to do with the country, or peoples attitudes or financial status. Someone unfortunately has his wheels messed with, England has a HUGE car crime rate, something like a car every 12 seconds is stolen. One every minute to order. I've had several cars stolen, and broken into. In the DR I never even bothered buying anything worth thieving, purely because I drive too fast often drunk and the roads are too unpredictable, I kept breaking them. In England I can't drink drive, the roads are great and there are few speed bumps to surprise me at 70mph.the love of lawless driving is great in the DR, but the downside is the lawless side to everything, not just driving.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #26
Orefsmisits

Definately stolen to order. So buying it back would be tough if it is already spoken for. I would check to see if any accident reports have been written for Cayannes. Find the owner and the light will be at his repair guys shop. Just glad the whole thing ain't at a chop shop.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #27
ticfarentibia

Is there such a thing as an accident report in the DR? I had a few and always just staggered off as the car would still drive and then had it repaired without notifying the insurance company. Luckily no one has gotten hurt. Well maybe one moto driver who crashed into me when I stopped for a red light. He was on the ground with a lot of plastic moto pieces when I checked the rear view. I almost got out of the car but then my Dominican training kicked in and I drove a few miles then checked the back of my truck for damage. Lucky again.
Even if you find the thief who stole the light and he has it on his car- just what are you gonna do about it?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
PoideAdelereX

Tragic when you have to loose nights sleep because of thiefs are looting parts of your car. I try to avoid owning anything which have any need for special needs in this country- less frustration.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #29
pedFlicle

1. There's no excuse for theft. You're a victim. To say that you were asking for it would be unkind.

2. As an educated man, you know that material things bring a very ephemeral superficial kind of happiness so you're not really that upset. If you and your loved ones are well, you're the richest man in the world.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #30
UFJon

You cannot complain and get no sympathy because everyone is aware that in the DR if you do anything that makes you look wealthy you become a target. Its the price of appearances in the DR. The smart money never shows it off. Must be a recent inheritance eh!!!!
Porsche Cayenne would be a target in my neighborhood in the USA as well. In the DR, I expect a gringo to have a bull's eye on them driving that.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #31
Diondra

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Anyways, most ebay sellers will put an invoice in the box for whatever amount you want if you ask them.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #32
PypeMaypetasy

When I came back from the super market to the parking lot today the guy next to my car did not only miss a headlight but the entire car was gone, nice Toyota Prado. He was parked right next to the tower where the watchman was "watching". If you drive a nice car in this country you have to watch it all the time. Don't trust a watchman!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #33
FsQGF1Mp

Which is a real pain. I've found a second-hand one off ebay for over $500 and I'm just dreading what customs are going to rape me for.

It looks like it was stolen to order as my headlights are xenon and apparently the upgrade is simple if you have the whole light assembly.

My car is a Porsche Cayenne and it was the left light that was taken. Interestingly enough my missus saw another Cayenne in Sosua which had it's right headlight missing!

Coincidence?

Apparently not according to Jan of the MAX Wash in Sosua. He is the authority on Cayennes on the North coast and has had reports of this in the past.
you can afford a Porsche Cayenne but not a garage to park it in?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #34
wasssallx

Some amazing comments, can't a guy complain about his pride and joy being stolen/damaged without the back row monkeys chucking bananas around!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #35
FsQGF1Mp

Some amazing comments, can't a guy complain about his pride and joy being stolen/damaged without the back row monkeys chucking bananas around!
maybe I'm jealous? When I arrive in November I hope to purchase a 150cc moto to get around........of course i'm jealous.

Reply to Thread New Thread