LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
b7RKli4l

I would wonder about the availability of 10 MM ammo. Ideally if you are going to carry a pistol you should run at least one thousand rounds through it for reliablity practice etc. That 10mm is a handful. There is no law against hi cap mags in the US its only NY, NJ CA.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Clesylafabada

I would wonder about the availability of 10 MM ammo. Ideally if you are going to carry a pistol you should run at least one thousand rounds through it for reliablity practice etc. That 10mm is a handful. There is no law against hi cap mags in the US its only NY, NJ CA.
If you are referring to the DR, 10mm is not legal for civilians since 9 mm is the largest legal size for anyone outside of the military.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
orgagsUpsepsy

Default Firearms >= Super Expensive
I was with a friend of mine the other day in the capital to help him collect his new (used) S&W 9mm from the police. He has an ownership permit as well as a carry permit but purchased a used firearm because the cost of new ones, if you can find them, is exorbitant.

For example, we stopped in one of the Armas shops in the area and looked at a used Steyr M-A1 9mm. This is a pretty decent pistol and costs upwards of $500 in the US (new). I asked the shop keeper what the price was here and he said RD$160,000. Naturally I had to ask two more times to make sure my hearing and math skills hadn't instantly abandoned me!

Over $4000 for a pistol that in the US would sell at a swap meet for a few hundred. I don't think we need to worry about anyone buying a new handgun in this country in the near future! I'm sure glad I bought my Glock 17 over 5 years ago when it was so "cheap" by comparison.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
jeraveike

And with that said..............they're still in business........go figure.......

B in Santiago with a machete by my bed

Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
joeyCanada

Buying used is the way to go! I asked about a used S&W 5906 a year ago over at the shop by the monument in santiago. They were asking RD$130,000+ the price of the traspasso which is about rd$11,500. also the prices of the doping test, range test, and psych at about rd$ 1,000 each. they were very clear about the RD$130,000 being for the firearm only LOL. When i bought my hipower clone, i payed about $30,000 for everything from a private owner. incridible! i wonder if DM is gonna lift the ban? Probably not though! Shame!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
broksaksaak

I was with a friend of mine the other day in the capital to help him collect his new (used) S&W 9mm from the police. He has an ownership permit as well as a carry permit but purchased a used firearm because the cost of new ones, if you can find them, is exorbitant.

For example, we stopped in one of the Armas shops in the area and looked at a used Steyr M-A1 9mm. This is a pretty decent pistol and costs upwards of $500 in the US (new). I asked the shop keeper what the price was here and he said RD$160,000. Naturally I had to ask two more times to make sure my hearing and math skills hadn't instantly abandoned me!

Over $4000 for a pistol that in the US would sell at a swap meet for a few hundred. I don't think we need to worry about anyone buying a new handgun in this country in the near future! I'm sure glad I bought my Glock 17 over 5 years ago when it was so "cheap" by comparison.
They stopped the import to monopolize...

I am assuming there would be a black market for guns there... how competitive are the prices?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Clesylafabada

They stopped the import to monopolize...

I am assuming there would be a black market for guns there... how competitive are the prices?
The exorbitantly high prices for guns and keeping them have been in place for the 10 years of my involvement here.

nas, are you asking about an illegal weapon ?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
sportlife

I have come to the conclusion that is has evolved into another market for the PN and military as they can get their hands on guns. Then sell them as used. The shop prices are for other types of guns.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
b7RKli4l

The Hi Power clones are somewhat reasonably priced. Get a trigger job and some sights and thats one hell of a pistol.
People have Glockitis in the DR all the plastic crap is ten times what it costs in the US.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
jeraveike

Where would be the best place in Santiago if one were to purchase a handgun legally and reasonably priced...............
If this is at all possible..........
My preference would be a Browning 9mm.........
To purchase one used but in excellent condition, where would I look.............

B in Santiago

Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
HartOvara

And with that said..............they're still in business........go figure.......

B in Santiago with a machete by my bed
When you can't get a gun,a machete will do.That's the way to go.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
jeraveike

When you can't get a gun,a machete will do.That's the way to go.
I sold all my firearms back in the States when I moved here............
I miss my guns much more than my wives.............lol...seriously......
Especially my Belgium made Browning 9mm made in the 70's.........
I still carry a photo of that pistol in my wallet........I miss it so......

B in Santiago

Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
ZXRamon

I have a Browning... the belgium one. Got it as a 21st birthday present from my parents. Despite all the great new guns out there, Glocks etc., I still love the classic good looks of my Browning.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
broksaksaak

The exorbitantly high prices for guns and keeping them have been in place for the 10 years of my involvement here.

nas, are you asking about an illegal weapon ?
Just an inquiry. If prices are so high through legal channels, I am sure there must be other ways of getting them.
I don't need one.. I don't live there.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
b7RKli4l

The price of paying one third and getting jammed up for an illegal pistol are a bit more than the high price of a legal pistol with a license.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
jeraveike

Just an inquiry. If prices are so high through legal channels, I am sure there must be other ways of getting them.
If you're an expat living here.............
Everything you do should/must be totally legal........
Or you can find yourself in a world of hurt.............

B in Santiago

Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #17
joeyCanada

The Hi Power clones are somewhat reasonably priced. Get a trigger job and some sights and thats one hell of a pistol.
People have Glockitis in the DR all the plastic crap is ten times what it costs in the US.
Yeah i actually got some hiviz fiber optics sights installed. But get this, The front sight came overmolded so that the gunsmith could file it down to fit the dovetail, And the idiots Made the dovetail the same exact size as the overmolded sight!!!!! then Superglued it into place now im stuck with a sight that moves side to side freely with an oversized dovetail, and possibly a damaged slide! Horrible! if i wouldve known this, i wouldve left the tiny sights on! now im going to try some red loctite to see if i can do something about it. the guys in the shop around the monument just laughed, and said there was nothing they could do. To top it off, the rear sight is crooked, and sits farther than the rear of the slide. It often touches with the hammer upon firing. I know in the U.S. theyll fix it. Even spoke to a couple of smith friends of mine, and showed them pictures no problem. But in DR the smiths just tell me that theres nothing they could do. Incredible! If i could find someone that ACTUALLY does the repair of the slide, and the proper refitting it would be great! Other than that, i say its a great gun! Fits the hands perfectly, fits in almost any 1911 holster, and is easy to find parts for. Either in the U.S. or on DR. Highly recommend it.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
b7RKli4l

that sucks. You have a couple of options tho. You can get another slide with sights already installed and set up. If thats your only pistol I would buy a new slide with some sights already installed.
I live my HP I had a trigger job and it is the greatest Concealed Carry pistol Ive ever owned.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
joeyCanada

that sucks. You have a couple of options tho. You can get another slide with sights already installed and set up. If thats your only pistol I would buy a new slide with some sights already installed.
I live my HP I had a trigger job and it is the greatest Concealed Carry pistol Ive ever owned.
Hopefully i can find one here. I highly doubt it though. Ill just have to try something, probably some novak rear sights. As for the front sight i guess some loctite will have to do. hopefully i can find someone here that fixes slides.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
b7RKli4l

Hopefully i can find one here. I highly doubt it though. Ill just have to try something, probably some novak rear sights. As for the front sight i guess some loctite will have to do. hopefully i can find someone here that fixes slides.
Check out the 1911 forum. Lots of parts for sale there. Beauty is a slide with sights you can just ship. It isnt classified as a firearm.
good luck

Reply to Thread New Thread