LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-04-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
ramzes666

Default Thread: Building a new house cost
What is below is important note. My hobby used to be to go to houses on sale and building sites. I saw really bad mistakes. Big car can get only into one of the garages, cannot drive in and out of a garage without going back and for, too narrow gates, no parking space, 4 bedrooms and dining room for 4 seater table, dead spaces inside the house after add on, huge lounge and tiny bedrooms, huge main bedroom and all other rooms small, no place for all of the listed: dishwasher, washing machine, drier, vacuum cleaner, fridge, freezer, microwave oven, linen... How the house is positioned on a stand is critical. On a small stand all foundation have to be for double story even if built only on one level first. I put double story foundations on car port as I know that somebody will build a flat above. If the stand is not level detailed design where the elevation changes are. Stepping from one floor to an other is generally safe but have one step between and problems start. Builders are funny in this business. One house had initially a door about 1.2 m high, and other house lounge has a level split in the middle...

I really would go for an existing. Cheaper and you see what is there. To go on a new area it is likely that the area is a building site for few years with all associated risks and problems. All our houses are "old" looking. We do not spend money to make a house to look modern. Wasted money. House is to live in and not to show off.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Philip67

I've been thinking about buying a home for a long time, and I'm hoping I can do it with a mortgage.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:54 PM   #3
GordonReid

I've been dreaming of owning my own house for a long time. Right now, I only live in rented houses. There was a time when I lived in my RV for six months because I didn't have any money (that was the beginning of the pandemic). But a friend of mine tipped me off to take out a reverse mortgage at goodlifehomeloans for a place to live. I inherited a property from my parents, but it has unfinished repairs, so I haven't been able to move there yet. In my case, a reverse mortgage would be much better than a traditional mortgage because a reverse mortgage would not tie it to my income.

Reply to Thread New Thread