LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
rowneigerie

Default Need some Job advice
Well this advice isn't for me but for my mother. Well anyways, she lives in Michigan and the economy there is, as everyone knows, in the dumps. She was usually in the real estate industry but was recently laid off as you could easily expect.

Well on the brighter side of things she got a job a dealership which sells some sort of Chrysler cars, I'm not sure specifically of the exact type of cars. Well anyways she got a call from a Porsche dealer who was as well offering her a job...and she told them she recently took a job with this other dealership, but the guy was saying they had a high turnover rate. This is further concluded by the fact that when my mother started her first day, all the sales people were extremely new. So anyways, the guy told her if she needs a job to just give them a call. On the other hand, who can afford Porsche's in the current market?

Should my mother stick with her current job or switch over to the Porsche dealer?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
awagsFare

What part of Michigan?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
rowneigerie

What part of Michigan?
Southeastern...

Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
abubycera

Thats a toughy. I would maybe say take the job with the overall better givings (benefits, rate of pay, car loaning, discounts, vacations, holidays, ect.)

Though Porsche seems like the place to go. Their are actually quiet a few rich people, and they aren't as effected as gas prices or taxes. That kind of stuff. They want something classey and shows that they have money. So their is either Porsche, BMW, or Cadillac.

Chrysler, is up in the air. They havn't been doing as bad as Ford or GM overall, but they arne't as big as them either. Chrysler sales last I read are some 70+% minivans. They merged with a Mercedes, own Jeep and Dodge, but then are looking at selling themselves to GM? Their crazy right now, there looks have been rather poo lately for Chrysler themselves. They are trying to be the company between Mercedes and Dodge for looks, and comfort, but they are doing a really bad job at it.

All their cars are crap except for their Van and 300.

Plus the average consumer looking to spend no more than $30k have two handful + companies to look at. Rich people, usually fit their findings on one hand.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
poekfpojoibien

I could picture the Porsche dealer offering a better per hour pay where as the Chrysler dealer may expect them to be moving more product and thus making more of their wages from commissions. Also if she was hired on with the Porsche dealer would she JUST be showing and selling new and pre-owned or would she also be handling making appointments for servicing and stuff like that? The Porsche job could very well be more stable while the Chrysler is really focused at just sales.

Rich people tend to have a way of staying rich and are not as effected near as much as middle class and lower class when jobs are rare or things go south.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
EspnaConCam

The Porsche dealer is more likely to want someone who will be with them for a while, to build up product knowledge and service skills. As others have said, I would not be suprised if their hourly rate was higher, with less weighting on commission.

My suggestion would be that she goes along for an interview / meeting, as asks all these questions. Once she has all the info about both jobs, she can make an informed decision.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #7
rowneigerie

Allright thanks a lot guys. If I find out more information about the two jobs I'll let you know.

Reply to Thread New Thread