LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
gugqgbyzlp

I'm the same way with Quicken. I've been using it for almost 15 years. I run reports every month for my various expenses and it helps adjust my budget based on what I "REALLY" spend versus what I "THINK" I spend.

I was shocked last year when I ran my reports for golf too. After seeing the amount of money I was spending monthly on greens fees/range balls, etc convinced me going to a private course was worth the money. While at first looking at my monthly statements made me question my reports, not that I have almost a year of expenses to compare to my prior to joining a club expenses, I'm saving almost $1,500 a year with my membership. That's enough money to go on a really great golf trip!

And no, before some smarty-pants says, "not married/no childern huh?". I'm not. I was widowed at 42 and we couldn't have children despite years of trying. So think before you say crap like that. Everyone's life situation is different and you don't know what a person's decisions on marriage or experiences are. Don't know why that earlier comment touched a nerve but it did...
Very good point on the club membership. When I first started seeing the costs I instantly thought "that's for rich people with loads of money". But if you truly look at the numbers, it starts to make sense. The only problem is we have so many courses around me and I really like to play a variety. But there are still things I can do to save more money. For instance, we have a couple different "Players Card" deals here in my area. For $99 you get a card that entitles you to a free round of golf at 7 different courses...and these are nicer courses typically costing $50-75 so the card pays for itself within the first couple uses. I have one of these cards, but need to take advantage more often. Also there are the Groupon deals that pop up as well as some of the GolfNow deals. Sometimes we're wanting to play last minute during prime time and so we pay a premium for that. A little planning ahead and paying attention to deals would save on that. Another is walking vs riding. This alone could save $40-50 a month. I love to walk...in fact I feel I play better when I walk. But my playing partners don't like walking so I'll need to work on changing their minds.

I think that married? comment was really meant tongue in cheek. At least that's how I took it. I think it was GW who said "they hate us for our freedom"

Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
Forex Autopilot

Very good point on the club membership. When I first started seeing the costs I instantly thought "that's for rich people with loads of money". But if you truly look at the numbers, it starts to make sense. The only problem is we have so many courses around me and I really like to play a variety. But there are still things I can do to save more money. For instance, we have a couple different "Players Card" deals here in my area. For $99 you get a card that entitles you to a free round of golf at 7 different courses...and these are nicer courses typically costing $50-75 so the card pays for itself within the first couple uses. I have one of these cards, but need to take advantage more often. Also there are the Groupon deals that pop up as well as some of the GolfNow deals. Sometimes we're wanting to play last minute during prime time and so we pay a premium for that. A little planning ahead and paying attention to deals would save on that. Another is walking vs riding. This alone could save $40-50 a month. I love to walk...in fact I feel I play better when I walk. But my playing partners don't like walking so I'll need to work on changing their minds.

I think that married? comment was really meant tongue in cheek. At least that's how I took it. I think it was GW who said "they hate us for our freedom"
I was really lucky to join a club affiliated with several other clubs so I get lots of variety (there are 27+ clubs I can choose from to play when I play out of my home club). Plus I have friends who belong to other clubs so I "guest" them at mine and they "guest" me at theirs. Like you, I love to walk. It is the thing I miss the most about having moved from New England where the courses are all walkable (tee boxes adjacent to each green, no billy-goat gruff hills) to the Atlanta area where most the courses are built with long distances between tee boxes and hills from hell. My home course allows walking but my sister club does not because of the type of course/distances.

I assumed the "not married" was tongue in cheek but as I said, it touched a nerve for some reason. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to the whole thing or it is an after-effect of having lost my husband and being a woman. There is so much societal pressure on women if they aren't married/don't have children, especially at my age. You are looked at with that "what is wrong with you" look by people who don't know you/don't know the situation. On the web, there isn't a way to judge the "tongue in cheek", so I think those types of comments should be offered with caution by people who don't know you. And yes, my married and married with kids friends do "hate me for my freedom", especially when they know I'm going away somewhere awesome to golf/hang out and they are stuck going to Disney, again for the 1000th time...

Old 08-22-2012, 01:11 AM   #23
RerRoktoido

It amazes me how much I spend playing golf, if I kept a record of it I could probably put down a deposit on a new flat! Near the start of the year I got fitted and found I should be using regular flex and not stiff which I had being doing in my 712 AP2s, ended up going for a Ping setup in regular which served me well. Over the last 4 weeks my swing changes have come across well and started noticing increased distance but also a ballooning ball flight and not that tight dispersion. Went for a fitting and found my driver swing speed which was 85-90 in Feb has now gone to 105 with my driver! There was also a solid increase in my iron figures. Tried hitting some stiffer shafts and was keeping the ball lower and gaining 5-10 yard a club but more importantly, dispersion was tight. I am now selling all my PING gear cheap and laying down a fair whack on some 712 Titleist CB/MB combos and 910 woods. Think I an empty pocket for the year now! Looking forward to the new clubs though, bought a 910D3 second hand with a RIP shaft on the cheap, no point getting a new one with the 913 round the corner!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #24
kavaTeexy

yeah, I don't even want to see mind total of golf expenses for the year

Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #25
Lapsiks

I don't break it down below "Recreation:Golf"....and a lot gets put under "Clothing". I'll need to check my YTD tonight and project where I'll be end of the year.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #26
mylittlejewelaa

Real easy,,, golf is NOT a poor mans game. A decent set of clubs is $1500, club membership $1500-$3000. I could go on and on.......

Old 08-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #27
Chooriwrocafn

Quite interesting and it shows how it quickly it can add up.

I dont want to know what I spend because I would be shocked, surprised, overjoyed, ticked off, encouraged, disappointed and moved to both tears of sadness and joy. Then I would probably need a therapist which ups my costs again. I am better off not knowing for sure.

TapAhoy!
I agree with Keith here. I know I spend money and spend lots of it. I think this is too much fun to go into that much detail and then wallow in my missing wad of cash. IMO, if you go to the outing and MC and spend money, the time spent with friends and colleagues is irreplaceable. The networking value is worth it alone!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #28
RemiVedia

How do you not spend more on balls being a 29 handicap (no offense intended)?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #29
Rndouglas

If I had to guess, between membership dues, constantly "trying" new gear, and my addiction to golf clothes, I'd guess I spent 6k a year.

The problem is, I spend more than that chasing green fish with big mouths for money and it's current rate of return this year is about 3% hahaha. Seperate bank acct's keep a happy wife.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #30
Lapsiks

How do you not spend more on balls being a 29 handicap (no offense intended)?
Maybe he's just short like me? I have no real distance so I hit the green 1 stroke behind just about every hole yet I lost my first ball today in probably 7 rounds I believe.

Reply to Thread New Thread