LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
amotoustict

Default Two General Logic Questions...
Well I've been having lessons,

I was told the left wrist is your club face.. so if your left wrist is straight/flat at the top of your backswing unless you do something weird the club face will be square at impact... Therefore if you want to hit a draw you bend your wrist one way and the opposite for a fade.. Anyone actually do this or vogue for this, I've been trying this and it seems to work.. but I don't know if that's because this guy is smart or if its just because of a fair bit of practice I'm doing...

Secondly in a half hour lesson maybe 3 times at random periods he will just say now it it 100 yards whether I have a driver a 6i or a lob wedge in my hands, he never tells me why, says it must be with a full swing, and after I fail he just nods and say Good now back to what you were doing... Anyone have any insight on this one? I was thinking distance control but surely you would change the length of swing for that?

Thanks for any input

~Shane

Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
NicolasOL

Shane there could be a number of reasons why he tells you to hit 100yds. Too many to list so I won't. But the left wrist idea is some what true or should I say a piece of a legit theory.
If you strike the ball, at impact, with the back of you left hand your club face will be on the proper path through the ball. The toe will be turning down and through the ball (hence a slight flex in the left wrist) if the swing continues through the ball the toe will turn over and give you right to left spin, provided the club is on the proper path.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
amotoustict

Shane there could be a number of reasons why he tells you to hit 100yds. Too many to list so I won't. But the left wrist idea is some what true or should I say a piece of a legit theory.
If you strike the ball, at impact, with the back of you left hand your club face will be on the proper path through the ball. The toe will be turning down and through the ball (hence a slight flex in the left wrist) if the swing continues through the ball the toe will turn over and give you right to left spin, provided the club is on the proper path.
Alright, I was just wondering if he was leading me down a good path or was he a bit off,
Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
NicolasOL

Alright, I was just wondering if he was leading me down a good path or was he a bit off,
Thanks
There is one thing I know and that's golf instructors will not lead you astray. The information you receive is generally sound, some more advanced then others. But it boils down to fit, does his methods fit your swing. If it does keep doing what he tells you. If it doesn't, find one that does. But his advise is not off, just his way of conveying.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
amotoustict

There is one thing I know and that's golf instructors will not lead you astray. The information you receive is generally sound, some more advanced then others. But it boils down to fit, does his methods fit your swing. If it does keep doing what he tells you. If it doesn't, find one that does. But his advise is not off, just his way of conveying.
haha well i dont know because I've never had lessons... but he pretty much changed my whole address to the ball so it feels a little uncomfortable now, but I can't complain I told him to do whatever it takes to make me as close to a scratch golfer as possible whatever it takes so I guess I'm going to have to trust him

Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
r9tbayfC

Secondly in a half hour lesson maybe 3 times at random periods he will just say now it it 100 yards whether I have a driver a 6i or a lob wedge in my hands, he never tells me why, says it must be with a full swing, and after I fail he just nods and say Good now back to what you were doing... Anyone have any insight on this one? I was thinking distance control but surely you would change the length of swing for that?

Thanks for any input

~Shane
Maybe he just has a funny sense of humor. There are a lot of reasons why he would want you to hit a 100 yard shot with a full swing with some pretty random clubs. Maybe he just wants to empty your head of too many swing thoughts. Maybe he just wants you to try and force ridiculous slices and hooks. Either way, I wouldn't worry about his method as long as you are getting good results from the lessons.

~Rock

Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
ljq0AYOV

It could also be that he's trying to help you develop feel for the swing while dialing back the power. Some pro (Lanny Wadkins?) was featured on Golf Channel Academy and recounted an session he had with someone who asked, "Which club do you hit 100 yds?" His response was, "Which club do you want me to hit 100 yds?" and then he proceeded to hit everything from his sand wedge to his driver that distance. Hitting a less than full power shot is a great way to learn proper form without getting out of sequence due to over swinging.

Reply to Thread New Thread