LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
nerohedfrs

good thread jdtox.

i won't say i never have or never do. early spring/late fall though, sometimes you just have to...as the conditions are not yet prime here in PA. especially if you're out on the course before you're actually supposed to be.

this year, i have played the ball down all year, every round, every shot. there may only be a few instances where rocks or roots were involved and hitting it from that lie would actually damage my club - and that would not be a good thing.

i do play in a league, where guys do pretty much whatever they want when it comes to improving your lie...it's like a 6 inch rule, which is ridiculous. i guarantee i'm the only person that does not out of 32 guys. i smoke fools in that league and i'm only playing against myself, since i could care less about the actual league itself. that being said, if i'm playing with/against you...i don't care what you do. golf is fun, i'm not a rules nazi.

yes...yes...winter rules....

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
ttoothh

I play it as it lies, but most of the guys in my league improve their lie. I saw a rule sheet for a league at another course in my area and it specifically says that you are allowed to move your ball up to 12", except on the greens. I thought it was crazy.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Kinds Of Pain Meds

Unless the ball lies in a position I could damage a club, like rocks and such, I play it where it lies.
+1

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
andreas

The other thing I find is that I have played with a lot of guys with HC's supposedly much lower than mine. But while playing with them, I'll see them roll the ball out of a bad lie in the rough, out of a divot in the fairway, take a 3' gimme putt or take a drop in the most beneficial spot. Normally, I don't have a big problem with this, except when the guy that does this tells me how good he is. / End rant!
Sounds like you've meet my dad lol

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
andreas

More like my intense need to get the hell out of the house haha. I've been fortunate this year. I've been able to play on a course every months since March 2011. Not expecting that to happen this year, but one can always hope.
Every reason is a good one That's impressive. I guess you'll have to do a bit of "no snow, more sun" dancing around the camp fire this summer!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
MoreEndotte

It sucks, and I seem to have the worse luck when it comes to that kind of stuff, but I just take the penalty. There are certain courses I will avoid at certain times of the year for the reasons you describe! Now if the ball plugs and I find it, I will say we pull it out and no penalty for that. A few things we make judgement calls on - like lies in the bunker on tire tracks, etc.

As an aside, I've always felt that the rules should be changed as far as divots in the fairway go. I don't see why anyone should be penalized for hitting a ball in the fairway... just doesn't seem right. Golf's hard enough!
I agree with you dude, on a lot of things. In all honesty, it depends on who I'm playing with too. I play with some guys who love to play everything as it lies and some guys who love rolling their ball around. I typically don't move mine around at all. I'm typically trying to figure out yardages and other things than looking at the lie.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #27
Pcodaygs

I can't say I never do it. If a round goes completely south I might re-purpose the round to focus on something other than score, in which case I don't care about improving my lie. If I'm playing a normal round I don't do it. If/when I sign up to establish a handicap I won't do it at all.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
deackatera

I only improve it if the lie is gonna damage my clubs.
Unless the ball lies in a position I could damage a club, like rocks and such, I play it where it lies.
+1 Only if I am going to break a club or my wrist if I play it where it is do I move the ball.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
HQTheodore

That's the main reason I start buying the cheap balls in the fall.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
icedrakona

So what do you do in Fall when you hit your ball right smack in the middle of the fairway but you can't find it due to leaves or b/c perhaps it plugged and you just can't find it? In the mountains we have lots of elevated tee boxes and in Fall and Winter the courses can be incredible damp. I've lost a few balls that just buried and I could never find them.

I think something like that has happened to all of us.
This happens to us all the time here in the winter which is why HC's are closed for 4 months during the winter.

When its winter here we play by the RCGA winter rules which is lift clean and place and preferred lies. When its not winter then its standard play the ball as it lies and if someone was found to be flufing lies or moving their ball out of a divot, they would find themselves out of money matches and men's night really quickly.

Reply to Thread New Thread