LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
bQXHsKzS

In the grand scheme of things I'd say yes. Hitting a straight ball with solid contact > than trying to move a ball if not ready to do so

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
Zfdeisde

I'd say so!

I bring this up because something occurred to me this weekend...my scores are starting to catch up (within 3-6 strokes per round) to my 2 partner's however they both much better than me. One plays SGI Cleveland Launchers and the other plays Titleist CB's. I play my Di11's and aim to hit the ball as straight as possible whereas these two seem to love to hit every draw/fade combination known to man. While it's cool to see I notice that too often they'll slightly overcook it one way or another and end up off the green leading to a chip, and 2 putt for a bogey. They both have the potential for very exciting rounds but more often than not they end up with plain jane mid-low 80's. When they want they can hit the ball straight and get great scores but their insistence on hitting "show shots" has led to me catching up to them. They used to always beat me by a dozen or so strokes...this weekend we played at the 3rd hardest public course in the country (according to an issue of GD) and I took the front 9 and dominated the par 3's. I had a mini blowup on the back and ended up losing by 4 and 2 strokes but someone like me should not be seriously competing with them I feel like.
Maybe. I'm glad I learned how to play golf by hitting draws and fades, as opposed to focusing on hitting straight shots. Being able to play different shots into tight pin locations (or hitting out of tricking spots off the fairway) has been invaluable. But then again, I practiced hitting shots one handed ala Johnny Miller.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Buincchotourbss

Yes it is overrated. Too many amateurs, myself included, focus too much on multiple shot shapes instead of being consistent with one. Instead of working to hit draws and fades and controlling trajectory, just work on hitting a consistent shot.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
pGJLweEw

Id be happy if I could hit it straight all the time.. lol

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
xanonlinexan

I think it's a good skill to have, but just trying to hit the ball straight is probably easier most of the time.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
h4z1XBI7

I don't want to live in a world where the rope-hook-me-jeebus doesn't exist.
It came out twice this weekend. Jman enjoyed that shot a little bit.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #27
Kamepherype

I can't move a ball from left to right (I'm a lefty) so laterally moving the ball means very little to me but I sure do like manipulating the trajectory of my golf ball. That's very important to me.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
horaAppagob

I think its a little important at a certain skill level and its equally important to know when to use it. I know I like to work the ball when the shot warrents it. I'm much more comfortable hitting a draw, than I am hitting a fade. Thats a skill I want to teach myself and be able to hit on command. I worked hard on working the ball with my driver on command. Do I hit a double cross from time to time, sure, so do the pros so that comes with it. Its a matter of what you are comfortable doing at your skill level.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Impariclainna

Default Is workability overrated in amateurs?
I'd say so!

I bring this up because something occurred to me this weekend...my scores are starting to catch up (within 3-6 strokes per round) to my 2 partner's however they both much better than me. One plays SGI Cleveland Launchers and the other plays Titleist CB's. I play my Di11's and aim to hit the ball as straight as possible whereas these two seem to love to hit every draw/fade combination known to man. While it's cool to see I notice that too often they'll slightly overcook it one way or another and end up off the green leading to a chip, and 2 putt for a bogey. They both have the potential for very exciting rounds but more often than not they end up with plain jane mid-low 80's. When they want they can hit the ball straight and get great scores but their insistence on hitting "show shots" has led to me catching up to them. They used to always beat me by a dozen or so strokes...this weekend we played at the 3rd hardest public course in the country (according to an issue of GD) and I took the front 9 and dominated the par 3's. I had a mini blowup on the back and ended up losing by 4 and 2 strokes but someone like me should not be seriously competing with them I feel like.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
sigrekatonov

Depends on the player and their course management skills too. But for player 10 and above I'd say it's not needed

Reply to Thread New Thread