LOGO
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
bmwservis

Default Damaikis' 2012 Golf Season Thread
Alright guys I have the first practice of my school golf season tomorrow, so I wanted to start a thread (as much for me as anything) to sort of keep track of my progress as the season goes on.

A little background on me and my team. Last season I had the third best scoring average on the team and played as the third seed on the team out of six. My average was 47.2 for 9 holes, which is a score that I now consider very bad. The top player on the team averaged a 41.5 and the number 2 kid averaged 45.8. We got a new freshman who I believe is a 3 handicap, so my goal realistically is to play as the number 3 or maybe even 2 player. I think I can get my average down in the 40-41 range if I play well.

Our home course is a 3000 yard Par 35 with a rating/slope (adjusted for 18 holes) is 69.4/126. It is a quite challenging layout, but having plaued on it so much over the past 3.5 years, I know it very well and think that gives me an advantage over opponents. The most challenging hole I think is #6, a 210 yard, uphill Par 3 that plays about 225-230. There is a ridge in the middle of the green and the back tier is about 1 foot higher than the front. Par is a very good score there. The easiest hole is #7, a 480 yard Par 5 that has a downhill tee shot but then goes back up starting about 300 yards down the fairway. It has a very flat green, so a birdie is easily obtainable.

I don't think our team has a prayer at winning the league or state (there are a couple of VERY good teams to compete with), but I think we have a shot to beat a bunch of teams that we have lost to in past years and finish with a decent record (combined 3-29 past two years I've been on varsity). I'm very excited for this season overall, and am looking to go out with a bang, hopefully leaving my mark on the Blair Academy golf program in my final year.