LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #1
KukkoDrukko

Default Etiquette when calling someone through
Today I went and played 9 holes at a course that isn't local to me. Most of the time at my local course when I play it is pretty quiet and I rarely come up behind any playing groups and when I do I normally know them off the golf course.
So today it was mildly busy and I was playing by myself. I came up behind a group of 4 older gentlemen who were playing. For a couple of holes I was just waiting till they would get far enough ahead as there was no one coming up behind me. I didn't mind this as I was happy practising my swing until they were far enough ahead.
Eventually they called me through and I drove the ball about 50 yards further down from where they were standing. I went to go past them and they all got very annoyed with me that I didn't wait for all them to take their shot before going past them.
So my question is was I wrong to assume that I should just go past and keep playing or should I have let them hit first and essentially play out the whole with them. I have always assumed when you call someone through you let them go ahead of you and let them go through or is this the wrong assumption to have?
I'm not sure whether I was doing the right thing or not.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Opinion_counts

I think if people are waved through, then they should play and get ahead. I would have done what you did.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
oplapofffe

I think you did the right thing. You were playing through so you should get ahead of them.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
P9CCd35R

I do what the old men do. Play up a hole, keep them moving too. Then play away the next hole.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Appeselve

You did the right thing. I think they were jealous & upset you drove it 50 yds past them lol.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
forebirdo

I would expect to hit the shot as soon as you are waved to, why else would you wave someone through.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
w4WBthjv

I think if people are waved through, then they should play and get ahead. I would have done what you did.
THIS! If I am waving someone through I want them to play through and get out of my way ASAP....same if I am being waved through...I wanna get out of the way ASAP.

I have been in the situation that you were in before and it is kinda weird, group in the middle of the fairway waves me up so I tee off and while I am headed to my ball they start hitting their second shots...so now I am waiting on them...it was rather weird.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Inenuedbabnor

You did what i would have, nabby old people just like too complain because they have nothing else too do anymore with there life's!

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Hankie

You did the right thing. When a group "waives me up" I hit and hustle to my shot ... so that playing through doesn't cause an even longer delay.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
atmowasia

We do the same as these guy's did if a single comes up on us, we way them on up while we are hitting and once he's hit we all head to the balls. Gives us time for everyone to find their ball and shoot the breeze while he goes on, no big deal really. They shouldn't have been that way with you, but if they have already started their drives just ask before heading on out.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
KukkoDrukko

We do the same as these guy's did if a single comes up on us, we way them on up while we are hitting and once he's hit we all head to the balls. Gives us time for everyone to find their ball and shoot the breeze while he goes on, no big deal really. They shouldn't have been that way with you, but if they have already started their drives just ask before heading on out.
Sorry didn't specify they had already driven and were on the fairway. By the time I got to them they weren't even setting up to take their shot. I wasn't going slow either. Was trying to hurry through.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Bondjrno

I do the same. Wave the guys through and then while he's driving up we walk out into the fairway.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
w4WBthjv

I do the same. Wave the guys through and then while he's driving up we walk out into the fairway.
The ones I ran into a few weeks back werent walking into the fairway...when I was halfway to my ball they started hitting their 2nd shots so I had to stop and wait on them....when all 5 of them had hit then I got to proceed to my ball (25 yards past them) and hit my second shot....soon as my ball hit the ground they take off in their carts to go to their balls...some of which didn't make the green so I had to wait again while they hit into the green...I basically played that hole with them and then took off on my own at the next tee box............it was odd.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #14
nasxbrtyol

The situation you speak of happens a bit, without the angst from those calling up though it must be said, but sometimes playing the rest of the hole with the group that has called you through can be ok, good for a chat, relax before the next shot.

At least you were called through. We have quite a few old farts at my club who will not call through unless you arrive on a tee box before they've hit off. But this moan is probably for another thread...

Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
Lolita Palmer

I would have done, and always do, the same thing you did. The solution to a slow foursome holding up play is not to add one more and make it a fivesome even if it's just for a hole. I really don't like being held up out there, but playing through isn't much fun either. The pressure is on to hit good shots and clear out. Sometimes I'll even pick up and just go regroup at the next tee if I flub a shot when playing through.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Buyingtime

i agree with thainer... this keeps the course moving so another group doesnt run into the old guys and complains they are slow
did you not thank them as you played thru? maybe thats why they were mad?

Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
meteeratymn

I'm a fan of finishing the hole and waiting at the next teebox to let a group play through. It's safer and very clear you want them to go ahead.

I've been waved through by a group by them driving into the woods for 10 minutes, lol.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Dr. Shon Thomson

You did what i would have, nabby old people just like too complain because they have nothing else too do anymore with there life's!
Darn right! Stupid old people, always complaining. They're never happy. And they smell funny. Like liniment. Or a damp cedar closet.

Kevin

Old 12-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #19
fedelwfget

The situation you speak of happens a bit, without the angst from those calling up though it must be said, but sometimes playing the rest of the hole with the group that has called you through can be ok, good for a chat, relax before the next shot.

At least you were called through. We have quite a few old farts at my club who will not call through unless you arrive on a tee box before they've hit off. But this moan is probably for another thread...
Even though I'm one of those old farts what you say happens all the time.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #20
ZIZITOPER

When I am in a group and we let someone play through, we usually just wait on the tee box and let them have the hole to themselves, seems much easier that way.

More often than not down here, a lot of the groups that wave you through will wait in the fairway and play the hole out with you, then you just go back to on your own after the hole is over.

If I was waving someone through mid-hole, I would wait and let them finish the hole out rather than try to play the hole with a group of 5 or 6.

Reply to Thread New Thread