LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #21
constanyiskancho

I always play for my natural shot shape which is a draw. I will admit to liking having to shape a shot. I find it to be a fun challenge. Not something I want every shot, but a few times a round

Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #22
olivelappers

I play my natural shot shape (a draw) unless the situation demands some other shot (tree trouble, tucked pin, etc.). I think it's important to have a go to shot, stock shot or something you're comfortable with (whatever that may be), but it can be helpful to be able to work the ball when needed.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
shodulsilfeli

I naturally work the ball with a fat shot . I always try and hit the range before to see what my ballflight is going to look like. I just play whatever is there. I hate trying to work the ball.
This is me. Some days straight, some days draw, some days fade. I have to have a short range session to know what direction is going to be more prevalent in that day's round. I thought at one point in time I could consistently shape from a somewhat consistent straight shot to a draw, but that was never really the case.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #24
Izzy

I fall in the #3 category mostly. I try to hit the ball relatively straight on every shot, but will hit the draw or fade on a shot that absolutely demands that you hit it. Not saying it works like I plan all of the time, but I can pretty much make it do it when I must.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #25
Asianunta

I go with #3. I dont think you need to sharpe every shot you hit just if needed.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #26
Abnorbprootly

#3 and my "shaping" consists of changing the height of the shot rather then the direction. I think Bubba would be a better player if he didn't want to be Beckham with a golf club

Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #27
VIDEOHITE

i play straight shots unless im right behind trouble. sometimes it works and other times it doesnt

Old 07-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #28
hictchewisa

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I shape every single shot, but I do try to shape shots when I think that a specific approach angle or landing angle would be better than simply hitting a straight (or natural) shot.

For instance, if I were looking at a shot to a slightly elevated green and I had a choice as to what kind of shot to hit, I'd choose a high fade because it will tend to land more softly than a low draw might. But If I were looking at a shot to a green that was slightly below my feet I could really choose either a draw or fade or even just choose to hit it straight because in that case, none of those shots has any real advantage over another. So it's definitely a situational thing.

There is however one rule that I always follow and that is that no matter what shot I prefer to hit or have maybe learned to hit, under pressure, I'm most likely going to revert back to whatever my natural shot is (in my case a high fade) and if I'm feeling tense I try to plan a shot that allows for that if the situation lets me choose.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #29
suidinguilelf

I do better if I need to stay left or there is a left to right wind, I will focus on making sure the face is closed.

Any thought of letting it bleed right, or playing my "nature" ball flight will end in a huge slice.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:58 AM   #30
syncFisee

I find my game a little funny with regards to shot shaping. Last year was my first year playing a lot. I started the year with a bad slice and an index in the high twenties. Then I saw a comment on DJ's swing during last year's US Open and I realized I wasn't turning my shoulders and was badly bending my left elbow. In a week I went to a 17 cap and got rid of my slice. About a month ago I choked up on all my clubs and started hitting it much straighter (

Reply to Thread New Thread