LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #21
whimpykid

O buddy, dont worry about it, it happens to all of us, already happened to me this year, so bad i made a driver switch lol. Just try not to think about it and just play, i find that makes it better, when i think about it is when the bad swings start to creep in.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
HonestSean

In my experience, competitive golf causes pressure, which manifests itself physically as grip pressure. Grip pressure causes the tension that causes the issues you described. Countless PGA players talk about breathing and grip pressure as keys to dealing with pressure. It really works too when you focus on it.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
cheaploans

I'm thankful to read all the don't worry about it comments. I had exactly the same experience last night in my first ever league event, a 2 v 2 match play 9 hole format. I opened with a decent drive and then slapped a 4h off the toe and weakly almost dead right that went OOB. I then proceeded to hit disastrous drives and laughable iorn shots for the almost every shot. The exceptions were putts, chips, bunker shots and low punch shots from the trees, of which i had a good number of opportunities. It didn't help that it was windy, cold, low 40s, and the course conditions so soggy that on one swing I put a 7i directly under the ball removing a back hoe worth of sod and advancing the ball about 12 inches! Almost miraculously I managed a par and a single bogey and won those 2 holes. It was my highest ever score for 9 holes--a 56.

I kept up good cheer and shrugged it off on the outside but inside I was feeling completely humiliated. Tossed and turned replayng a few of the epic shots for several hous last night. Just a few weeks before, in my first round of the year, I carded an 85 with 4 pars and an eagle. Disturbing game.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #24
qd0vhq4f

It has happen to me just the other day. It happen I believe to all of us. All It takes is one good shot to bring me right back to having fun.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #25
Eagevawax

I'm thankful to read all the don't worry about it comments. I had exactly the same experience last night in my first ever league event, a 2 v 2 match play 9 hole format. I opened with a decent drive and then slapped a 4h off the toe and weakly almost dead right that went OOB. I then proceeded to hit disastrous drives and laughable iorn shots for the almost every shot. The exceptions were putts, chips, bunker shots and low punch shots from the trees, of which i had a good number of opportunities. It didn't help that it was windy, cold, low 40s, and the course conditions so soggy that on one swing I put a 7i directly under the ball removing a back hoe worth of sod and advancing the ball about 12 inches! Almost miraculously I managed a par and a single bogey and won those 2 holes. It was my highest ever score for 9 holes--a 56.

I kept up good cheer and shrugged it off on the outside but inside I was feeling completely humiliated. Tossed and turned replayng a few of the epic shots for several hous last night. Just a few weeks before, in my first round of the year, I carded an 85 with 4 pars and an eagle. Disturbing game.
better days ahead, just put it behind ya

Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #26
cheaploans

better days ahead, just put it behind ya
Yep, will do and I think I know the major issue -- I was so tight that my grip was like iron and I couldn't turn and rotate at all! It was partly the competitive nature of the event and also the weather. I simply don't play below 60 or so. It is just a game and it's all a matter of perspective! I got a PM from someone that told me to be thankful because he considers a 56 to be a good nine for him and he has this experience of random shot-making every round!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #27
Eagevawax

right on, yeah when I do that its either the grip, or usually some UGLY swaying of the lower body

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #28
Svatudjw

It came BACK! Stopped trying to hit the ball and just thought about making my turn.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #29
acneman

It just happens. I've played a member-guest for 8 years in a row and I'm always chewing on cotton on the first tee. It just takes one decent shot to turn it all around. The more you press, the worse it gets. Just relax and let one rip and you'll be fine form there. Overthinking destroys your swing.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
VitaliyMurnov

I actually hadn't had this happen to me in months...and then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I couldn't hit a 30 yard pitch, and actually Hozelled 4 chips.

Sorry that happened to you, but hell of a nice birdie chip! Swings come and go for everyone, and when in doubt go back to the basics: routine, grip, stance, posture, ball position, tempo...then clear the brain and SWING.

Reply to Thread New Thread