LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
ashleyjoseph

Default Etiquette of playing through?
How do you handle playing situations where the group in front of you is playing slowly? I have always played under the assumption that “playing through” should be offered by the slow group and not have to be asked for.

Yesterday, however, I finally had to ask to play through a twosome. I was on a public course as a twosome and the twosome in front of us were clearly either new to the game or oblivious to etiquette. They were taking three balls apiece off almost every tee, four or five practice swings before every shot, etc. Finally after six holes we asked to play through. They looked annoyed but allowed us to play through. We ended up playing the remaining twelve holes quite a bit faster than the first six.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Charryith

I've asked to play through too, but it's usually offered by the group ahead (in my experience). But I don't have a problem asking.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
mas-dkt-sive

How do you handle playing situations where the group in front of you is playing slowly? I have always played under the assumption that “playing through” should be offered by the slow group and not have to be asked for.

Yesterday, however, I finally had to ask to play through a twosome. I was on a public course as a twosome and the twosome in front of us were clearly either new to the game or oblivious to etiquette. They were taking three balls apiece off almost every tee, four or five practice swings before every shot, etc. Finally after six holes we asked to play through. They looked annoyed but allowed us to play through. We ended up playing the remaining twelve holes quite a bit faster than the first six.
I seldom get a chance to ask to play through. Walking, it is hard to get close enough to them to ask even if I am waiting on each shot. I usually stand in the fairway with my hands on my hips in hopes they will get the idea. Most of the time, they do. If I am riding, I will pull up behind them at the first opportunity. If they don't ask, then the next time, I will.

One thing that bothers me when playing through is when the group I am going through follows me down the fairway. I would much prefer they just wait on the tee box until I have cleared my next shot and then follow. It doesn't take any more time and I get the fairway to myself and can move out quicker.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
vicgirl

It should be offered, but there comes a point in time when I believe it is okay to ask. Obviously not when groups are backed up. But if you are waiting on every shot and there is nobody in front of them, I see no problem with it. Just tell them that you are in a little bit of a rush and dont want to make them feel rushed, would they mind if you jumped ahead and played through?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Noxassope

I've never asked.

C-Tech, I had that happen to me yesterday. The guys in front of me waited at the tee box as I pulled up and told me to go ahead. I teed off and then they followed me down the fairway, I thought maybe they wanted to finish out the round together but apparently they were just trying to find their tee shots. It was nice to hit two good shots and two putt for par and move on, a lot of times playing through another group results in a blow up hole for me.haha

Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
drgshmcm

a lot of times playing through another group results in a blow up hole for me.haha
Same here, though I have no prolem asking at all. Especially if they are playing excurciatingly slow, though technically they should observe "nicety-ness" and offer first. I know I do cause it also gets on my nerves when someone is riding my butt!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Qutlsilh

Typically the slow group ahead of you should offer to let you play through if you are faster than them.
Ive had many instances where the group ahead of me was either inconsiderate or just wasnt aware of letting faster players through, and in those instances I simply ask to play through or I will just skip that hole.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
artkolkovk

If the offer to play through is not offered, and you have a course marshal available, tell the marshal you'd like to play through. That's one of the reasons he, or she is there for in the first place...to keep pace of play. If not, and there is some place to go in front of the slower group, then ask the slow group yourself. Most of the time they will say go a head. In those rare instances when the slow group might say "no", then use you best judgement as to what you can get away with.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
forextradinginfo

I'll give them a fair chance to invite me through, but if that fails, I'll definitely ask. If I don't get any satisfaction even then, it's time for the ranger to step in. Fortunately, I play much of my golf at the course where I also work, so getting a response from the staff is pretty easy.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Seasmillets

I believe that it's up to the slow group to offer, but if they don't - you can certainly ask. If there is a very fast group behind me and it's open in front of me, I'll offer to let them go through, but I've had groups ask me to play through when there is no place for them to go because it's slow on the entire course. In that situation - I'll say no.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Sydneyfonzi

I try to leave it up to the slow group. I hate to ask unless it's absolutely necessary

Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
wmcelesta

I generally wait to be invited to play through,although on occasion i have asked if the group in front are really slow.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
Siliespiriulk

I play by myself a lot. I don't ask. If standing on the tee with a club in my hand a couple of times and then riding up behind them while they're teeing off isn't enough to get an invite to play with them or through them, I'll jump ahead of them ... only if there are holes open of course. And I'll do it at a time so as not to disrupt their shots. But if they don't have sense enough to invite me though, the heck with them. Most do though. Sometimes I'll just take my time and stay behind them practicing my chipping & putting. It depends on the traffic out there and my mood. If it's busy, different story of course, and I always ask groups of less than 4 who catch me in those situations if they'd like to join me. If it's backed up and I'm alone on #1 and the group ahead or behind is less than 4, I'll ask if I can join if they don't have a starter who manages that sort of thing.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
Seasmillets

Last night, the twosome in front of us played ahead of the foursome in front of them. The only problem was that we didn't know this so we thought the foursome had jumped in front of us. The reason we thought this was because all four of them hit into the fairway next to us and they all came walking back at the same time so it looked like they were cutting in. It took us a few minutes to figure this out during which time we were strongly tempted to hit into them - we don't like people who cut in.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
artkolkovk

I just read where a golfer hit another golfer in the head with an iron, knocking unconscious. The argument started over slow play, a threat of bodily harm was made, the guy that got hit insulted the wife of the hitter. The hitter fearing bodily harm, and not liking the insult directed at his wife says he tried to hit the guy in the shoulder, but the guy moved, and took the shot in the head. The guy swinging the club was booked for felony aggravated assault, and released on a $2500.00 bond.

Slow Play, and Assault...Why do I think this is going to get worse, before it gets better. Crazy, unstable folks should stay home......

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Seasmillets

Slow Play, and Assault...Why do I think this is going to get worse, before it gets better. Crazy, unstable folks should stay home......
Says the man whose friend punched a guy on the course.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #17
ruforumczspam

Last night, the twosome in front of us played ahead of the foursome in front of them. The only problem was that we didn't know this so we thought the foursome had jumped in front of us. The reason we thought this was because all four of them hit into the fairway next to us and they all came walking back at the same time so it looked like they were cutting in. It took us a few minutes to figure this out during which time we were strongly tempted to hit into them - we don't like people who cut in.
Having played Diane's course, I can believe that about the fairway shots!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #18
Qutlsilh

If the offer to play through is not offered, and you have a course marshal available, tell the marshal you'd like to play through. That's one of the reasons he, or she is there for in the first place...to keep pace of play. If not, and there is some place to go in front of the slower group, then ask the slow group yourself. Most of the time they will say go a head. In those rare instances when the slow group might say "no", then use you best judgement as to what you can get away with.
Around he thats a bit difficult because most of the public courses dont have marshals.
I really wish they did because it would keep the riff-raff in check. Im so tired of the shirtless golf and of people playing 3 or 4 balls and once, practicing their bunker shots and being inconsiderate of others.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #19
laperuzdfhami

I have no problem asking to play through as long as there are no groups right ahead that'll run into.I have refused letting people play through if there is no where to go.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #20
ruforumczspam

This afternoon, we chose to walk and carry for 18 holes. Three times, single golfers (two in carts) were clearly playing for speed. We let them all play through. No big deal, but three times??!! We didn't even realize the first guy was behind us until he drove the ball ten feet behind me. And didn't yell "Fore!" I only hope the ball had rolled a long way before Hubby turned around and saw it. Once we saw him, we were happy to let him play through; we just didn't need that sort of announcement.

Reply to Thread New Thread