LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-04-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
beonecenry

Default UK news - Shafilea parents guilty of murder
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19068490

The sad story has come to completion today.

Honour killings happen in Asian cultures whether that be Muslim, Hindu or Sikh families.

We know in Islam there is no honour in honour killings and it's just murder. For marriage to be valid both boy and girl need to agree without being coerced. So this is all un-Islamic.

What about Hindu and Sikhs? Are honour killings feasible in their religions and does the "arranged" marriage have to be agreed by both parties to be valid? Curious....

Old 08-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
c2siOlIk

In many cases

father prays only jumma, snores during Fajr time
mother doesnt pray but watches hindi movies and fries pakoda, samosas.

How can they expect the girl to be pious and listen to them?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
DoctorAlexandro

What about Hindu and Sikhs? Are honour killings feasible in their religions and does the "arranged" marriage have to be agreed by both parties to be valid? Curious....

I've heard of Hindu widows being forced to incinerate themselves on their husband's funeral pyre, I dunno about "honour" killings though.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
cjOTw7ov

Regardless...nothing can justify killing that girl

And just because Hindis and Sikhs are doing it that doesn't mean its ok for Muslims to emulate their medieval practises.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
NEronchik

This is pretty much like the Jahiliyya of the Quraysh when they used to bury girls. Disgraceful.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
JaK_MarkoV_Pi

ASWW
"The breakthrough came when Shafilea's younger sister, Alesha Ahmed, was arrested in connection with an armed robbery at the family home in August 2010."

"she changed her account, claiming she saw her husband beat their daughter on the night of the murder."

"During the trial, Alesha Ahmed had told the court how her parents repeatedly attacked and abused Shafilea.

"She said Shafilea was torn between the allure of a Western lifestyle and their demands she wear traditional clothes and agree to an arranged marriage."

On sentencing, Mr Justice Evans told the couple: "A desire that she understood and appreciated the cultural heritage from which she came is perfectly understandable, but an expectation that she live in a sealed cultural environment separate from the culture of the country in which she lived was unrealistic, destructive and cruel."

Alesha escaped but she is unlikely to be able to avoid the legacy of her upbringing.

We know in Islam there is no honour in honour killings and it's just murder. For marriage to be valid both boy and girl need to agree without being coerced. So this is all un-Islamic.

Sister ask Sheikh Google " O you Hindu wake up!"

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
viagsjicguara

I wonder why scholars don't address this terrible issue more frequently. Even among Muslims who are not scholars, at best, I see them say that it's un-Islamic and then simply go on to point out that this practice is also prevalent in other cultures. I hardly ever see strong denouncements of this horrible practice.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
chppjdf

Ask Imam

Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
TeemFilla

These people who are muslim by name keep bringing the rest of the muslim world into disrepute. What was the reason behind the killing. It could not have been any religious grounds as none of the parents look religious. Culture and KEEPING THE NAME are sickening to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May ALLAH TAAALA guide and forgive us

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
lizadax

I wonder why scholars don't address this terrible issue more frequently. Even among Muslims who are not scholars, at best, I see them say that it's un-Islamic and then simply go on to point out that this practice is also prevalent in other cultures. I hardly ever see strong denouncements of this horrible practice.

It's a strange issue to discuss though that's the problem. Like, our Imam, every week in his sermon, talks about topics relevant to 99% of the men present. Honour killings, paedophilia, terrorism - muslim communities have been touched by all three - but who is it relevant to? the 99.99% of people in the masjid don't need to be told about honour killings, they already know it is bad.. so who to address.... there might not even be a single person with such inclinations in the Masjid? And of course, our scholars, do condemn... but do such people read their condemnations?
The best thing is probably to have strong family structures with people unafraid to seek help when they see troubled family members - with a good wider Islamic community support structure in place... how to achieve that? That is a tough question.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
attishina

It's a strange issue to discuss though that's the problem. Like, our Imam, every week in his sermon, talks about topics relevant to 99% of the men present. Honour killings, paedophilia, terrorism - muslim communities have been touched by all three - but who is it relevant to? the 99.99% of people in the masjid don't need to be told about honour killings, they already know it is bad.. so who to address.... there might not even be a single person with such inclinations in the Masjid? And of course, our scholars, do condemn... but do such people read their condemnations?
The best thing is probably to have strong family structures with people unafraid to seek help when they see troubled family members - with a good wider Islamic community support structure in place... how to achieve that? That is a tough question.
^Those are very good points. I do, however, feel it's a worthwhile issue to touch upon this when discussing parenting with Muslims. The tremendous differences in reactions from parents towards their daughters versus their sons is a related issue that I think should also be addressed whenever an opportunity presents itself.

It just always saddens me that Muslims are quick to jump all over and curse or shame (neither of which we should really be doing) non-Muslims when we discuss aspects of their cultures that are contrary to Islam, but remain strangely silent by comparison for the most part when it comes to issues like this within our own Ummah. It seems that for many, the concept of "ghairat" supersedes Iman and is defended more passionately than anything actually related to Islam.

It Is narrated on the authority of Abdullah b. Mas'ud that the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him), observed: He who has in his heart the weight of a mustard seed of pride shall not enter Paradise....

Sahih Muslim, Book 1, Chapter 40, Number 164

Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Metrujectiktus

This thread is malfunctioning - it keeps on rising to the top even though Pursuitofknowledge made the above post on the 4th-5th of August. I am just posting here to hopefully stop it rising up again.

Reply to Thread New Thread