Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
HotboTgameR

Default speaking without knowledge is a dangerous matter
an advice which we should consider and keep in mind
BEFORE WE SPEAK OR BEFORE WE TYPE :

Speaking without knowledge is a dangerous matter

Allah said in Surat al-Isra’, Ayah 36:

[Do not act or give judgments in the Religion without knowledge. On the Day of Judgment one’s ears, eyes, and heart will be asked about their deeds.] The Prophet, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam, also advised in this matter. Both at-Tirmidhiyy (in his book Al-Jami^) and the hafidh, Ibn Muhammad Ibn Abu Bakr al-Qurashiyy (in his book, As-Samt, which means "The Silence") narrated from Prophet Muhammad that he said:

These words of the Prophet mean: This advice is important to follow because giving judgments in the Religion without knowledge is among the ways which lead a person to be a loser in the Hereafter. Indeed, this matter is among the top reasons leading people to enter Hellfire. The one who says something is "halal" (permissible) or "haram" (forbidden) in the Religion without relying on a valid religious permission to do so is sinful and deserves the severe torture in Hellfire

The pious, knowledgeable people said it is a very good act for the person to say: "I do not know," when it is applicable to do so. If one does not know the religious judgment on a particular case, he should not venture his own opinion on it. Once, when Imam ^Aliyy was asked about something which he did not know, he said, "I do not know." Then he added, "How soothing it is for me to say ‘I do not know’ when I do not know." Imam ^Aliyy meant that he felt comfortable not to answer a religious question when he did not know the answer to it. We should take heed and follow the words of Imam ^Aliyy in this matter. He was one of the most honored Companions of the Prophet--known for his high level of knowledge and comprehension in the Religion.

Once, when Prophet Muhammad, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam, was asked what the best and the worst places were, he answered:

"I do not know. I will ask Jibril." When the Prophet asked Jibril, Jibril also said, "I do not know." After a period of time, Jibril returned to Prophet Muhammad with the answer which Allah revealed to him: "The worst places are the markets and the best places are the mosques." This is a sahih hadith related by Imam Muslim and others.

The Prophet, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam, taught us a very important lesson by his response. It is not shameful for one to reply, "I do not know" when it is applicable, but it is shameful to speak about religious matters without knowledge. Only Allah knows everything. For the Muslim to be safe on the Day of Judgment, he should speak only about what he knows. If one needs an answer to a Religious question, he should ask one more knowledgeable than himself or a trustworthy Muslim who can ask another pious, knowledgeable Muslim. This is the way the knowledge of the Religion is taught, and this is the way the knowledge is preserved.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Caunnysup

an advice which we should consider and keep in mind
BEFORE WE SPEAK OR BEFORE WE TYPE :

Speaking without knowledge is a dangerous matter

Allah said in Surat al-Isra’, Ayah 36:

[Do not act or give judgments in the Religion without knowledge. On the Day of Judgment one’s ears, eyes, and heart will be asked about their deeds.] The Prophet, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam, also advised in this matter. Both at-Tirmidhiyy (in his book Al-Jami^) and the hafidh, Ibn Muhammad Ibn Abu Bakr al-Qurashiyy (in his book, As-Samt, which means "The Silence") narrated from Prophet Muhammad that he said:

These words of the Prophet mean: This advice is important to follow because giving judgments in the Religion without knowledge is among the ways which lead a person to be a loser in the Hereafter. Indeed, this matter is among the top reasons leading people to enter Hellfire. The one who says something is "halal" (permissible) or "haram" (forbidden) in the Religion without relying on a valid religious permission to do so is sinful and deserves the severe torture in Hellfire

The pious, knowledgeable people said it is a very good act for the person to say: "I do not know," when it is applicable to do so. If one does not know the religious judgment on a particular case, he should not venture his own opinion on it. Once, when Imam ^Aliyy was asked about something which he did not know, he said, "I do not know." Then he added, "How soothing it is for me to say ‘I do not know’ when I do not know." Imam ^Aliyy meant that he felt comfortable not to answer a religious question when he did not know the answer to it. We should take heed and follow the words of Imam ^Aliyy in this matter. He was one of the most honored Companions of the Prophet--known for his high level of knowledge and comprehension in the Religion.

Once, when Prophet Muhammad, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam, was asked what the best and the worst places were, he answered:

"I do not know. I will ask Jibril." When the Prophet asked Jibril, Jibril also said, "I do not know." After a period of time, Jibril returned to Prophet Muhammad with the answer which Allah revealed to him: "The worst places are the markets and the best places are the mosques." This is a sahih hadith related by Imam Muslim and others.

The Prophet, sallallahu ^alayhi wa sallam, taught us a very important lesson by his response. It is not shameful for one to reply, "I do not know" when it is applicable, but it is shameful to speak about religious matters without knowledge. Only Allah knows everything. For the Muslim to be safe on the Day of Judgment, he should speak only about what he knows. If one needs an answer to a Religious question, he should ask one more knowledgeable than himself or a trustworthy Muslim who can ask another pious, knowledgeable Muslim. This is the way the knowledge of the Religion is taught, and this is the way the knowledge is preserved.

brother. A sobering reminder, inshaAllah. I have a hadith to this effect stuck on my telephone. May Allah protect us all. Especially those of us who know they talk FAR TOO MUCH May Allah give us the wisdom and strength to guard our tongues. According to a hadith, you can't purify your heart until you purify your tongue.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
DarrenBent

Reminder to all of us

Guard our tongue

Dhikr of Allah is the most excellent act of Allah's servants and is stressed over a hundred times in the Holy Qur'an. It is the most praiseworthy work to earn Allah's pleasure, the most effective weapon to overcome the enemy, and the most deserving of deeds in reward. It is the flag of Islam, the polish of hearts, the essence of the science of faith, the immunization against hypocrisy, the head of worship, and the key of all success.

http://www.sunnah.org/publication/en...html/dhikr.htm

Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
grinaJanoDant

. It is not shameful for one to reply, "I do not know" when it is applicable, but it is shameful to speak about religious matters without knowledge. Only Allah knows everything.
just to add some quotes from salaf regarding the topic

Imam Malik who was more likely to say "la adree" (I don't know) or "la ahsin" (I don't know it very well) in response to the constant flow of queries directed toward him. Once a person approached him and told him that he had come from Marrakesh --- after a six month journey --- only to ask a question. "My people back home are waiting for your answer," he said. After hearing the question Imam Malik replied, "Please tell your people that I do not know the answer to your question." In one case he was asked forty-eight questions and in response to thirty-two of them he said, "I don't know." It was commonly said that if somebody wrote down Imam Malik's answers to questions, he could easily fill pages with "I don't know" before writing a real answer.

Ibn Jareej used to attend the majlis (sitting) of Abdullah ibn Umar, Radi-Allahu anhuma. "In answer to more than half the questions he used to say I don't know." Ibn Abi Layla saw 120 Sahaba (companions). "Whenever one of them was asked a question he wished that someone else would answer it." Our pious predecessors expressed their impartiality with the simple phrase: "I don't know." They used to say: "Half of knowledge is to recognize that you do not know something." They also said: "Whoever refuses to admit that he does not know, that person will soon be disgraced."

Abdullah ibn 'Umar (rd) says: "Knowledge is of three thypes, the Book that is forever speaking (Quran), an established Sunnah, and 'I do not know'." (Ad-Daraqutni: Ghara'ib Mälik. Al-Khatib al-Baghdadi: Asmä' man rawa Abu Dawud. Kitab al-Fara'id, vol. 3, p. 164. Ibn Majah: in the lntroduction to his Sunan, chapter eight.)

An Alim's saying "I do not know" raises his rank

In his explanation to this Statement, al-Manawi rahmatullähi says: "It is learnt from this Hadith that it is the duty of an Alim that if he does not know the answer to a question, he should say: 'I do not know.' Or, 'I am not certain.' Or, 'I have no knowledge thereof.' Or, Allah knows best.' If a person is asked a question and he replies: 'I do not know', this does not drop his rank, as some ignorant people assume. This is because the ignorance of a qualified Alim with regard to certain matters does not harm him. Rather, his saying 'I do not know', raises his rank because it is proof of his great status, the strength of his din, the fear of his Sustainer, the purity of his heart, the perfection of his recognition (of Allah) the goodness of his intention."

1 It is a person whose religiosity is weak and whose recognition[of Allah] is little who will scorn such a statement.This is because he fears a drop in his status in eyes of those who are present but does not fear a drop in his Status in the sight of the Sustainer of the worlds. This is an act of ignorance and weakness in din. (AI-Munäwi: Fayd al-Qadir bi Sharh a/-Jami" as-Saghir, vol. 4, pp.388.)

The Statement "I do not know" and "I have no knowledge" have thus been recorded with regard to the four imäms, that four rightly-guided caliphs, in fact, even from Rasulullah (sw) and Jibra'il(aw). Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Someone once asked him: "Which land is most beloved to Allah, and which land is most despised by Him?"

The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied: "I do not know until I ask the angel Gabriel."

Thereafter, Gabriel informed him that the most beloved places are the mosques and the most disliked are the marketplaces. [Musnad Ahmad, Musnad Abî Ya`la, and Mustadrak al-Hâkim]

2 Imam Abul Hasan al-Mäwardi rahmatullähi 'alayh says; "Since there is no way whatsoever of encompassing all knowledge, there is no shame in not knowing some of it.Since there is no shame in not knowing some of it, you should not feel shy to say: 'I do not know , with regard to what you do not know. " (Al-Mawardi: Adab ad-Dunya wa ad-Din, p. 82 as quoted in Sharh in Ihya', vol. l, p. 394 of az-Zabidi rahmatullahi 'alayh)

Saying "I do not know" is half of knowledge

Imam al-Ghazzali rahmatullahi 'alayh says: "The person who remains silent when he does not know - and he does this solely for Allah, is no lesser in reward than the persoin who speaks. This is because admitting ignorance is more difficult on the soul." Abu Tälib al-Makki says: "This is because the beauty of a person remaining silent for the sake of Allah out of piety is like the beauty of a person who speaks of knowledge for the sake of Allah willingly." Al-Ghazzäli: al-Ihyä'. vol. l, p. 69

Ibn Abdil Barr narrates from someone of knowledge who said: "Learn to say: 'I do not know', and do not learn to say: 'I know'. This is because if you say: 'I do not know', they will teach you till you know. But if you say: 'I know', they will continue questioning you till you have no answer.'"!(Ibn Abdil Barr: Jami' ßayan al-'Ilm. vol. 2, p. 55)
The Caliph `Umar b. al-Khattâb once, while delivering a sermon on the pulpit, read the verse 31 form Sûrah `Abasa: "And fruits and fodder."

The word translated here as "fodder" and also sometimes as "herbage" or "grasses" is the Arabic word abb. `Umar admitted on the pulpit that he did not know what this word means The very same admission has also been related from Abû Bakr Abu Khaythamah an-Nasa'i narrates on the authority of abdullah ibn 'Umar (rd) who said: "It is part of knowledge for a person who does not know to say: 'Allah knows best.'

Ibrahim an-Nakha'i rahmatullahi 'alayh asked a question to Amir ash-Sha'bi rahmatullahi who was a great imam a great scholar from among the Tabiin. So the latter replied: "I do not know." On hearing this, Ibrahim an-nakha'i rahmatullahi 'alayh said: "I take an oath by Allah that this is a true Alim - he was asked about something which he did not know and he said: 'I do not know.'"

Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
replicajoy

jazakallah for that brother, there's so much we need to learn and we can never learn enough, after reading the threads the people who are sincere and have fear will take so much benefit from it, and may allah SWT make us them people, ameen

Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Enrivaanonock

very useful reminder.

An Alim's saying "I do not know" raises his rank One of today's lost virtues I guess...

Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
AM1VV9r6

for posting the above

Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Preegovesem

Useful reminder

Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
newspetty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68vw4Se2bFM

excellent talk

1 book shaykhs and google shaykhs are ruining the ummah esp on the net

Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Lenny Hensley

I would also like to add something. Speaking without knowledge can also lead one to kuffr on many occasions, and the prophet salallahualaiyhiwasallam said; someone might/can say something that he thinks is harmless, but because of it he will fall 70 years in hellfire (only the kuffar fall 70 years). Forgive me for not being able to quote the hadith properly as i dont know the exact words. What i posted is the meaning of it that i know, which remains intact.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
ovH9wfSJ

I would also like to add something. Speaking without knowledge can also lead one to kuffr on many occasions, and the prophet salallahualaiyhiwasallam said; someone might/can say something that he thinks is harmless, but because of it he will fall 70 years in hellfire (only the kuffar fall 70 years). Forgive me for not being able to quote the hadith properly as i dont know the exact words. What i posted is the meaning of it that i know, which remains intact.

i dont know the hadeeth but the following are the words of Imam Ghazali from Ihiya ul uloom Vol.III,P:36.

Who has the right to argue in controversial matters..?

" it is the duty of people after accepting Iman and Islam to engage themselves in worship and carry on their livelihood..and leave the ilmi masail at the hands of Ulema.. for a commoner to argue in these matters is more harmful and dangerous than Zina and stealing..since a person who is not well versed in deeni uloom and continues to argue in the masail of Allah and his deen.. it is very much possible that he forms an opinion thats is Kufr and he may not even be aware that what he thinks is kufr.. this is similar to a person who doesnt know swimming and jumps into the ocean."

May Allah save us all..

wa assalam..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 AM   #12
Fiesialenp

i dont know the hadeeth but the following are the words of Imam Ghazali from Ihiya ul uloom Vol.III,P:36.

Who has the right to argue in controversial matters..?

" it is the duty of people after accepting Iman and Islam to engage themselves in worship and carry on their livelihood..and leave the ilmi masail at the hands of Ulema.. for a commoner to argue in these matters is more harmful and dangerous than Zina and stealing..since a person who is not well versed in deeni uloom and continues to argue in the masail of Allah and his deen.. it is very much possible that he forms an opinion thats is Kufr and he may not even be aware that what he thinks is kufr.. this is similar to a person who doesnt know swimming and jumps into the ocean."

May Allah save us all..

wa assalam..
nice post brother, ameen.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
dodsCooggipsehome

Great reminder...

Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
OQmYckYz

i found this Hadeeth.. seriously alarming.. gave me goose bumps.. shall only transliterate the meaning.. the respected ulema on the forum can also add..

"Narrated from Hazrat Abu Huraira that Hazrat Rasulullah said : To quarrel about the Qur'an ( arguing with ones opinion) is Kufr"

Summary: it means that to understand the Qur'an without the medium of Sahabah forming ones own opinion.. remaining adamant..further arguing with people on it.. leads one to Kufr.. as we find a warning in this noble saying of the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) that one who opines something about the holy Qur'an.. even if what he says is right.. the person has erred..

this has been further explained by the following narration..

"Hazrat Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhuma) narrates from Hazrat Rasulullah (salallahu alaihi wasallam) who informed about the saying of Hazrat Isa that there are three types of actions..
one about whose being Haqq is very clear.. follow it.. , second.. that which is clearly marked as Batil and wrong.. abstain from it.., thirdly that which is neither clearly maked as Haqq or Batil.. send it towards the Alim ( consult him and then act) "

Summary : it means that in matters which are either doubtful or controversial deeming it Haq or Batil.. instead of running ones own thoughts..indulging in vile arguments and unnecessary quarrels..consult an Alim.. and he shall inform you rightly in the light of Qur'an and sunnah...

Wallau a'lam bissawab
i found this in the following book.. Al Basheeru wan Nazeeru Translation of At Targheeb Wa'Tarheeb by Hazrat Hafiz Zakiuddin Abdul Azeem Bin Abdul Qawi Al Munziri (rah) (died 606 H) a collection of sahihain from where Hazrat Shaikhul Hadees Maulana Zakariyya sahab Kandhelwi Nawwar Allahu Marqadahu has quoted extensively in his Fadhail Amaal..

it was translated into urdu by Hazrat Maulana Muhammed Usman sahab Madani db at the behest of Hazrat Maulana Mufti Muhammed Aashiq Ilahi Bulandshahri (rah) Muhajir Madani.( Khalifa of Hazrat Shaikhul Hadees sahab .rah. )..

this is the copy.. ( it was gifted to this useless fellow by the respected Mutarjim db.. ).. a must have book.. shall write a short review sometime later insha Allah..

duas..

wa assalam..

Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
Coellacag

i found this Hadeeth.. seriously alarming.. gave me goose bumps.. shall only transliterate the meaning.. the respected ulema on the forum can also add..

"Narrated from Hazrat Abu Huraira that Hazrat Rasulullah said : To quarrel about the Qur'an ( arguing with ones opinion) is Kufr"

Summary: it means that to understand the Qur'an without the medium of Sahabah forming ones own opinion.. remaining adamant..further arguing with people on it.. leads one to Kufr.. as we find a warning in this noble saying of the Prophet (salallahu alaihi wasallam) that one who opines something about the holy Qur'an.. even if what he says is right.. the person has erred..

this has been further explained by the following narration..

"Hazrat Ibn Abbas (radhi allahu anhuma) narrates from Hazrat Rasulullah (salallahu alaihi wasallam) who informed about the saying of Hazrat Isa that there are three types of actions..
one about whose being Haqq is very clear.. follow it.. , second.. that which is clearly marked as Batil and wrong.. abstain from it.., thirdly that which is neither clearly maked as Haqq or Batil.. send it towards the Alim ( consult him and then act) "

Summary : it means that in matters which are either doubtful or controversial deeming it Haq or Batil.. instead of running ones own thoughts..indulging in vile arguments and unnecessary quarrels..consult an Alim.. and he shall inform you rightly in the light of Qur'an and sunnah...
!!!.....

Reply to Thread New Thread