LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
iceleliewBync

Default Habits and willpower
Assalamualaikum,

Can someone please give advice/dua's for getting rid of bad habits?

This doesn't necessarily mean they're haram, but ones that kill your time - I know that the shaitan has alot to do with it. I want to replace some not so good habits with good ones, so I can use my time better as well as not feeling so down when I don't do things. I beat myself up alot and don't know how to take it easy

I need strength with willpower, I feel as if my willpower at times is absolutely zero.

ws

Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
sportsbettinge

-Protection from 8 problems:

Transliteration: Allahumma inni auzhubika minal Hammi wal hazan, wal ajzi wal kasal, wal bukhli wal jubn, wa Dhala'idayni wa Ghalabathi rrijaal.
Meaning:'O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.'
اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْهَمِّ وَ الْحَزَنِ ، وَ الْعَجْزِ وَ الْكَسَلِ ، وَ الْبُخْلِ وَ الْجُبْنِ ، وَ ضَلَعِ الدِّيْنِ وَ غَلَبَةِ الرِّجَالِ

Dua for protection from Bad manners and hypocrisy:

Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
iceleliewBync

I'm not sure how its related to laziness or bad manners though? I'm asking sincerely for clarification.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
sportsbettinge

I'm not sure how its related to laziness or bad manners though? I'm asking sincerely for clarification.
The way I thought about it was:

Less laziness = more willpower.

I kinda thought Bad manners might include bad habits in a broader sense.

Allahu Alam.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Fausqueuego

Assalaamu'alaikum sister,

Just think about death often. I think I read somewhere the Prophet (saw) used to remember death at least 70 times a day. It really puts things into perspective... if you died right now, would you want to have the habits you have now?

Try reading something like 'The Lives of Man' or 'Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife' or 'The Spectacle of Death'.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
iceleliewBync

ws...I just want to know to how to implement it...I just feel stuck in a rut, that I can't get out of subhanAllah.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
ReggieRed

yah im stuck with this problem but whenever i try to keep myself buzy in good deeds like make a target this much quran,zikr,books, family time, lecture etc then iA it willhelp iA

Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
iceleliewBync

Its really hard to move out of it, can't say no, can't say yes, don't know what's happened....

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
wepoiyub

Brother, the transliteration of the dua does not appear to match the arabic text, in terms of some of the fatha, dhamma and kasras. Can u post the dua in arabic WITH all the fathas, dhammas, kasras and sakins, just like one would have in the indo-pak Qurans

Transliteration: Allahumma inni auzhubika minal Hammi wal hazan, wal ajzi wal kasal, wal bukhli wal jubn, wa Dhala'idayni wa Ghalabathi rrijaal.
Meaning:'O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.'

Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
sportsbettinge

Brother, the transliteration of the dua does not appear to match the arabic text, in terms of some of the fatha, dhamma and kasras. Can u post the dua in arabic WITH all the fathas, dhammas, kasras and sakins, just like one would have in the indo-pak Qurans
Brother its not spelling mistake:

Don't worry, it's not a spelling mistake. If the line is above the tashdeed then it is a fathaa, however if it is under the tashdeed then it is a kasra. Check the 'noon' in 'inni'.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
Dfvgthyju

Assalamualaikum,

This doesn't necessarily mean they're haram, but ones that kill your time - I know that the shaitan has alot to do with it. I want to replace some not so good habits with good ones, so I can use my time better as well as not feeling so down when I don't do things. I beat myself up alot and don't know how to take it easy

I need strength with willpower, I feel as if my willpower at times is absolutely zero.

ws
slmz, i think we have 2 take it easy - no two ways! if you make a whole load of resolutions it gets really tough to keep up with them and then... BANGG everything goes dump! its much easier 2 get rid of one thing at a time and do things gradually.
like 4 example if you find you're spending too much time online and want to cut it down, don't just cut yout internet connection completely rather limit the time you spend there & set aside a certain amount of time 2 be online and go off when its time up. that way you less likely to get frustrated and go back 2 old habits .
also read the dua's provided, don't stress and take care.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
AngelinaTheElf

IMeaning:'O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.'

I needed a dua for laziness. Will definitly memorise this one insha'allah

Do we have a thread specially dedicated to duas?? It would be useful if we dont

Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
cmruloah

Assalamualaikum,

ws
Do you exercise?

Think about doing exercise daily.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
sportsbettinge

Do we have a thread specially dedicated to duas?? It would be useful if we dont
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...-all-occasions!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
SusanSazzios

Assalamualaikum,

ws

Try making a regular reading of books by Imam al-Ghazali (ra) - in particular you can start with Beginning of Guidance (Bidayatul Hidayah - white thread press has the best edition). They are very effective in removing laziness, spurring one into action and helping you make good use of your day.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
wepoiyub

Forgive me for being a bit dense:

In the transliteration given, the word used is:

1. 'hammi' with a kasra, yet in the Arabic text the word appears to be 'hammu', with a fatha. Which is correct?
2. 'hazan' is used with a fatha, yet in the Arabic text the word appears to be 'hoozan' with a dhamma. Which is correct?
3. 'kasal', yet in the Arabic it has not been made a waqf, so to speak. It says, 'kasali.' Which is correct?
4. 'rijal' with a kasra, yet in the Arabic it says 'rujal,' with a fatha. Which is correct?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
ffdfriendforurr

Assalamualaikum,

ws

Make it a habit of reading every day the stories of the pious women of the Ummah. Beheshti Zewar has a section on the anecdotes of the Sahabiah.

Hadhrat Junayd al-Baghdadi said that stories are jund min junood Allah (soldiers from the soldiers of Allah). It is by these stories that the heart will become strong.

It is almost impossible to survive today without such tonics.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Liabmeasez

Assalamualaikum,

ws

one things for sure that you wont get rid of the bad habits that quickly so you have to be patience as it will take time like most things. If you have a habit then ssomtimes totally cutting it out of your life can make you want to do it again so you have to cut down slowly and then eventually you wont feel the need to do it again for example
watching tv if you watch it everyday then cut down the hours and how many days you watch it eventually you will loose interest in it and if your mind does tell you to go and watch it or whatever it is then at that moment you do the opposite like go and pray quran or something or sit and read a kitab something that will make you forget that you wanted to even watch tv and all the keeping in mind that Allah's watching what you are doing and always remember you only doing this to make yourself a better person.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
sportsbettinge

Forgive me for being a bit dense:

In the transliteration given, the word used is:

1. 'hammi' with a kasra, yet in the Arabic text the word appears to be 'hammu', with a fatha. Which is correct?
2. 'hazan' is used with a fatha, yet in the Arabic text the word appears to be 'hoozan' with a dhamma. Which is correct?
3. 'kasal', yet in the Arabic it has not been made a waqf, so to speak. It says, 'kasali.' Which is correct?
4. 'rijal' with a kasra, yet in the Arabic it says 'rujal,' with a fatha. Which is correct?

I guess there are spelling mistakes in the arabic text, sorry about that. Here is the correct text will audio:

اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْهَمِّ وَ الْحَزَنِ ، وَ الْعَجْزِ وَ الْكَسَلِ ، وَ الْبُخْلِ وَ الْجُبْنِ ، وَ ضَلَعِ الدِّيْنِ وَ غَلَبَةِ الرِّجَالِ

Allahumma inni a'udhubika minal hammi wal hazan, wal 'ajzi wal kasal, wal bukhli wal jubn, wa dhala'id-dayni wa ghalabatir rijaal

O Allah! I seek refuge in You from grief and sadness,
from weakness and from laziness,
from miserliness and from cowardice,
from being overcome by debt and from being overpowered by men
(other people)
[Sahih al-Bukhari 7:158]

Video of the Dua:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ_EouVDWcE

Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
Liskaspexia

Assalamualaikum,

ws
Most of our good or bad habits depends on our thinking process;Try to replace bad thoughts with good thoughts and your whole personality will change.We live in our imagination,and imagination is a real,solid and powerful force,by controlling our thought process we can not only change ourself but the world around us.A habit is good or bad only if it affects our thought process in a positive or negative way,otherwise it is just an 'event'.

Reply to Thread New Thread