LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
VomsVomaMew

Default Good area to settle down in Canada.
Assalamoilaikum WaRahmahtullahi WaBarakatuh,

I’m a new member on the forum but I’ve been here as a guest for quite a while.

I am moving to Canada shortly and I am undecided about Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. I am looking for a good Muslim community, halaal food and mosque (with madrassah for children- and adults) in the surrounding.

I hope that some kind souls might be kind enough to give me some tips.

On a side note, I hope that we can stick to the issue being mentioned and not debate about moving to a new country or not.

Jazakumullah khair.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
wCYvMKAc

Salaams,

For a start I'd cross Montreal off your list, as the Quebecoirs can be fairly hostile to outsiders.

As for Toronto or Vancouver, I'd say that you'd find what you are looking for in either of those cities. Both are extremely cosmopolitan and welcoming.

Good luck with your new life in Canada!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
neonasafluni

I'd definitely recommend Toronto, if other factors are the same.

It has one of the largest Muslim communities in N. America , good number of `ulama and mashayikh, good effort of Tabligh, madaris, Islamic schools, masajid, Halal food etc.

May Allah increase.

No wonder they call it Toronto Sharif!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
affozyBoomi

Definitely Toronto, the Thorncliffe area. Also, you must watch out because there's a large population of Muslims there, even the Tableeghi Markaz, Christian Missionaries are always running around there. At least twice I went there on a bus and was encountered by them.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
VomsVomaMew

Salaams,

For a start I'd cross Montreal off your list, as the Quebecoirs can be fairly hostile to outsiders.
Jazakumullah khair for the reply. I've been to Montreal once but it was not long enough to be conclusive. Many friends told me that Québécois are not very friendly especially, towards Muslims.

As for Toronto or Vancouver, I'd say that you'd find what you are looking for in either of those cities. Both are extremely cosmopolitan and welcoming.
Can you, please, be more specific. If you know some nice area in both Toronto and Vancouver then I'm listening

Good luck with your new life in Canada!
Jazakumullah khair.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
VomsVomaMew

I'd definitely recommend Toronto, if other factors are the same.

It has one of the largest Muslim communities in N. America , good number of `ulama and mashayikh, good effort of Tabligh, madaris, Islamic schools, masajid, Halal food etc.

May Allah increase.

No wonder they call it Toronto Sharif!
Jazakumullah khair for the reply. Can you please recommend some good area in Toronto?

Since you mentioned 'good effort of Tabligh', can you name some Tabligh Musjid.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
VomsVomaMew

Definitely Toronto, the Thorncliffe area. Also, you must watch out because there's a large population of Muslims there, even the Tableeghi Markaz, Christian Missionaries are always running around there. At least twice I went there on a bus and was encountered by them.
Bro, can you please elaborate as I think I've misunderstood you. I understand that I need to watch out Christian Missionaries , but why should I 'watch out' the 'large population of Muslims'? As for the 'Tableeghi Markaz' this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Jazakumullah khair for the reply.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
affozyBoomi

Bro, can you please elaborate as I think I've misunderstood you. I understand that I need to watch out Christian Missionaries , but why should I 'watch out' the 'large population of Muslims'? As for the 'Tableeghi Markaz' this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Jazakumullah khair for the reply.
What I'm saying is that since there's a large population of Muslims , christian missionaries there are also very active in trying to convert simple minded Muslims. So if you're strong in your eeman, and look for a religious atmosphere, then by no means do you have to worry. There's a Halal Food Supermarket there, even a restaurant! Here's a google street view of that area :

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=darussa...,49.05,,0,2.23

A few block down are the residential apartments , and a Greek Orthodox Church :

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=darussa...116.52,,0,0.76

wassalaam

Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
NudiJuicervich

Assalamu alaikum,

I live in Thorncliffe, and I can tell you that the Chirstian missionarries don't even make a dent. Ya sometimes you see them going door to door and speaking, but they have no hope in this area.
It is by far the most "Islamic area" but I would also suggest that you also consider the area near Nugget mosque as that is also very active area. The tabligh effort is stronger in that area in the students and I also see that the students are also inclined towards their studies as opposed to the other "Islamic areas".

Don't even think of Montreal and Vancouver is a distant second option. In the whole of North America I would only recommend Toronto and Chicago followed by Detroit and New York.

The tablighi markaz is only a 10 minutes drive from Thorncliffe, but the Thorncliffe mosque is much more active and populated with activities. Our mosque also served as the temporary markaz for over a year when they were renovating the markaz. Also I am hearing the markaz might move then it would be about a 20-25 mins drive away - but still not that far. If you wish you can also move to that area as there are many strong mosques there as well like Abu Bakr, etc.

Please don't think of living any place west of Thorncliffe as Islamic environment is very weak. If you have to move to the west end then the best place would be in Malton near the airport.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
NerbuitW

Lots of Good places to live in GTA(greater Toronto area). Islamia Jamhoria Thorncliffe is one :P, also called Thorncliffe Park Drive, with Darus Salam Mosque and a Musalah in one of the buildings, plus Iqbal Store for any Halal food item from meat to Masala, from Pan to National Achar. A Big Mall right in front, and nice food places like Bamiyan Kabob and Arza Pizza. Donlands and Danforth would be another near Madina Mosque and taqwa Musalah.Then you have a big population in Scarborough near Abu Bakr Mosque at Midland and Lawrence, Bilal Mosque at Markham and Eglinton where i Live, nugget mosque has a good population. I used to live in Thorncliffe, and did security there for 4 buildings. I know the area very well. Then you have Etobicoke, Rexdale and Islington near IMO with a big Muslim community. Then you some good places in Mississauga and Brampton, one is near Mavis and Steeles. Taha Musalah is doing a part time Alim course in the evening, and some other courses as well. Mississauga has some great areas with lots of Mosques and active members. I think it would also depend on the Budget. Thorncliffe 3 rooms would be no less then 1250-1400 a month. Scarborough 3 rooms would be 1100 or 1200. I would recommend Thorncliffe Park Drive for beginners.

And if you can try not to move to Canada. Trust me life sucks here. Hardly any social life, with work all the time and almost no savings.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
VomsVomaMew

Assalamu alaikum,

I need to bring up this old thread. Jazakallah for all the help but now it seems that I will need to move to Montreal because of a job opportunity. I am planning to live near Jean-Talon Market. Any brothers or sisters can tell me any tabligh mosque nearby? Is the neighbourhood a good one?

Jazakallah

Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
emupsMaispubs

ICQ is in St Laurent, on the corner of Marcel Laurin and Laval, if I'm not mistaken. Madani Masjid is nearby as well. They are both Tableeghi masjids. You'll find quite a few Muslims in that area as well as halal food etc. There might be a musalla or masjid nearer to Jean Talon, but I am not sure. I'll forward this thread to someone who lives in Montreal .

Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
VomsVomaMew

ICQ is in St Laurent, on the corner of Marcel Laurin and Laval, if I'm not mistaken. Madani Masjid is nearby as well. They are both Tableeghi masjids. You'll find quite a few Muslims in that area as well as halal food etc. There might be a musalla or masjid nearer to Jean Talon, but I am not sure. I'll forward this thread to someone who lives in Montreal .
Jazakallah for the reply.

Can you ask about Abou Bakr Asseddique Mosque?

Jazakallah.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #14
emupsMaispubs

I'll ask next time I get to speak to my family in Montreal.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
quorceopporce

I'll ask next time I get to speak to my family in Montreal.
Sister I know this is off topic but do you know anyone on the forums I can talk to about madrassa inaamiyyah? Or someone you know who has went there?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
emupsMaispubs

Sister I know this is off topic but do you know anyone on the forums I can talk to about madrassa inaamiyyah? Or someone you know who has went there?
You can check out www.qafila.wordpress.com . that'll be of help. You can contact the moulana from there.

Unless you meant the madressah by the same name in Canada and not South Africa? I am not sure of anyone who goes there at the moment.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
JaK_MarkoV_Pi

There is a new Madrassah opening in Saskatchewan.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
quorceopporce

You can check out www.qafila.wordpress.com . that'll be of help. You can contact the moulana from there.

Unless you meant the madressah by the same name in Canada and not South Africa? I am not sure of anyone who goes there at the moment.
I meant the one in SA thanks,so do I just register on that blog and comment/ask?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #19
emupsMaispubs

I meant the one in SA thanks,so do I just register on that blog and comment/ask?
Ok. You can check this page for contacting

http://qafila.wordpress.com/about/

Also check this page for more on the madressah : http://qafila.wordpress.com/category...ah-camperdown/

Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
dubballey

WaAlaikum Assalaam, Jean Talon area has a lot of Muslims and no problem with getting Halaal meat and other things. I know for a fact that there are many families there who are connected to the work of Tableegh. Mawlana Abbas Badat lives in that area (Park Extension). If you can tell us when you are planning to move then we'll talk to the Mawlana and inshaAllah introduce you to him.

Park Extension is one of the areas where there is a lot of concentration of Muslims, the rents are very reasonable, Desi shops are abundant (groceries, clothes, restaurants, and other necessities). Bus and Metro is also available in the area.

Reply to Thread New Thread