LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
addyta.org

Default Stem Cell News - April Newsletter
Dear all

Our April newsletter is just out.

You can read it online here, older newsletters are also available through our website

Contents of this Months newsletter:

Stem Cell Research News
  • THE RISK OF PUTTING SOMETHING WHERE IT DOES NOT BELONG: MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS PRODUCE MASSES IN THE BRAIN
  • UNDERSTANDING MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY USING HUMAN ES CELLS
  • FIRST ORGANISED EYE TISSUE CREATED FROM PLURIPOTENT CELLS
  • RESEARCHERS CREATE ENDODERM FROM HUMAN ES CELLS AND HUMAN iPS CELLS

Industry News
  • ReNEURON STEM CELL LINE USED TO DEMONSTRATE HOW ANTI-DEPRESSANTS MAKE NEW BRAIN CELLS
  • CELLULAR DYNAMICS PULLS IN US$30 MILLION FOR STEM CELL LINE LAUNCH
  • FRENCH CONSORTIUM FUNDED TO PRODUCE RED BLOOD CELLS FROM iPS CELLS
  • ADVANCED CELL TECHNOLOGY ISSUED BROAD PATENT FOR HUMAN ES CELL-DERIVED RPE CELLS IN CHINA

Policy, Regulation and Ethics News
  • THE SELLING POWER OF STEM CELLS - MARKETING STRATEGIES FOR ALTERNATIVE AND UNPROVEN STEM CELL THERAPIES
  • EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE REJECTS STEM CELL PATENTS
  • THE CONUNDRUM OF STEM CELLS AND DATA: PERSONS, PROPERTY RIGHTS, AND SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS
  • UPDATE ON AUSTRALIAN LEGISLATION REVIEW

Best wishes,

Aroha
Australian Stem Cell Centre
View our patient handbook online

Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
tomspoumn

Mesenchymal stem cells produced tumoral masses in half of the mice injected with them for MS?
This is indeed a negative breakthrough discovery for every people interested in curing the brain with stem cells!!
I encourage the forum member to discuss this topic in detail..

Old 04-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Jifyicyfuhpop

I read the article of how "MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS PRODUCE MASSES IN THE BRAIN." In the article, it mentions only once as the discovery was done as a transplant. Defining transplant, it means "to transfer from one place or residence to another." Now keep in mind, that the stem cells they are discussing are Mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow. I can see how this is possible. First, it is not autologous (not from patient own). Second, stem cells from bone marrow have less stemness that most stem cell types and not ideal for transplant. Now if you are talking about autologous stem cells for stem cell therapy, it is safe and proven safe by countless researches and treatments. Bone marrow transplants have been conducted for over 40 years in the U.S., and all of them have been done with heavy dosage of radiation to destroy the patients bone marrow in order to prevent rejection. Also, UCB stem cells transplanted to other patients have been performed around the world for over 5000 patients with no adverse affects. In conclusion, stem cell therapy is safe with certain types of transplants and most autologous stem cells. I feel this should be emphasized, so readers do not get scared.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
SarSerceSaice

Thank you LLL6521. The article is poorly done as it is not easily understood what they are talking about at first glance. It's almost as if there was some intention to sensationalize the story.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
zCLadw3R

It's not said indeed if the mesenchimal stem cells were autologous or allogenic.
I also read the beaker blog http://beaker.sanfordburnham.org/?p=4267 but it doesn't say anything about this issue.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the full articles.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
yarita

Weak Article

To be honest, I would not add any weight or attention to this article. It is ambiguous and weak. I get the impression the author does not know much about stem cells. One of the most vital information missing from the article is the research autologous or allogeneic, then it goes on to warn the readers as blanket statement that all stem cell therapies may be dangerous. The author is irresponsible and trying to sensationalize the public. I just reread it and “definitely for the last time” that it mentions the word “Transplant” and goes on about being bone marrow stem cells. If that is the case, then yes, it may be dangerous, but claiming that all stem cell therapies are dangerous is nonsense. First of all, you have one of the most knowledgeable people Barbara the founder of this forum agreeing with me. Look up DR. Cox from Texas University Medical School about bone marrow stem cell therapies.

Reply to Thread New Thread