LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
MgpojuWy

Default Michael Phelps is Overrated
I can't stand hearing how Michael Phelps is the greatest this and the greatest that. Why can't people just leave it as he was the Greatest Swimmer in the world for [fill in the blank number of years]?

Greatest U.S. Summer Olympian of all time:
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2...best-olympians
Phelps #1 over Jesse Owens? That's ridiculous.

I'm obviously not as impressed with 8 gold medals as everyone else. Why? Because it's just swimming. If you're a fast 100m swimmer, it's not surprising you're a fast 200m swimmer. Yes, he can swim two different ways (freestyle and butterfly) and he can swim with a team as was as individually - but it's still just swimming!

All the attention swimmers get is unfair to all the athletes who work their asses off and only have one event.
Hell, even NBA guys are there for just one medal - there's no dunk contest, 3 pt contest, etc.

Anyway, go Ryan Lochte!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
cefunonge

I can't stand hearing how Michael Phelps is the greatest this and the greatest that. Why can't people just leave it as he was the Greatest Swimmer in the world for [fill in the blank number of years]?

I'm obviously not as impressed with 8 gold medals as everyone else. Why? Because it's just swimming. If you're a fast 100m swimmer, it's not surprising you're a fast 200m swimmer. Yes, he can swim two different ways (freestyle and butterfly) and he can swim with a team as was as individually - but it's still just swimming!

All the attention swimmers get is unfair to all the athletes who work their asses off and only have one event.
Hell, even NBA guys are there for just one medal - there's no dunk contest, 3 pt contest, etc.

Anyway, go Ryan Lochte!
well owens was fast at 100 meters, so it really wasn't a surprise he was fast at the 200 meters.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Olphander

All the attention swimmers get is unfair to all the athletes who work their asses off an only have one event.

Anyway, go Ryan Lochte!
I think Phelps is a cocksucking, potsmoking, JoePa loving, piece of trash too...but you can't fault the guy because his sport has a number of different races. What he has acheived is pretty incredible.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Filmania

well owens was fast at 100 meters, so it really wasn't a surprise he was fast at the 200 meters.
It's just running!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
LasTins

Anyway, go Ryan Lochte!
Because, of course, swimmers don't work their asses off.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
cefunonge

It's just running!
Owens deserves it for other reasons obviously.

And yes, I'm not a fan of all the track and field guys on here too. They should limit the number of similar events.

Pick one running distance... then you can do long jump or whatever else.
Pick one swimming distance per stroke style.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Vokbeelllicky

I love these type of statements...If everyone agrees with you, they prove you wrong.

It's like dividing by zero, if you do it y

Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
MormefWrarebe

Owens deserves it for other reasons obviously.

And yes, I'm not a fan of all the track and field guys on here too. They should limit the number of similar events.

Pick one running distance... then you can do long jump or whatever else.
Pick one swimming distance per stroke style.
So you are saying that because you are very fast at "x distance", you are clearly going to be fast at "y distance"? Why don't sprinters ever run marathons? I mean, fuck, think of the pace?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
mensforyouthis

michael johnson was fast at 200 and 400 meters. what an idiot for not running the 100 meters. he obviously would have won that too.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
BegeMoT

Because, of course, swimmers don't work their asses off.
They do but it's still bullshit. You could be the Michael Jordan of some shit like fencing... one medal.

IMO, Jason Lezak (46 flat) had the most incredible swimming feat in Beijing. He destroyed everyone else in the pool that day - including Michael Phelps time.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Susanleech

Well, guys like Owens and Carl Lewis also did long jump -- but their ability to do well at long jump derives partly from their ability to run.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Hedkffiz

So you are saying that because you are very fast at "x distance", you are clearly going to be fast at "y distance"? Why don't sprinters ever run marathons? I mean, fuck, think of the pace?
You really thought when I said 100m vs 200m, I was referring to sprints vs marathons? Really?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
brandiweb

Well, guys like Owens and Carl Lewis also did long jump -- but their ability to do well at long jump derives partly from their ability to run.
True and some gymnastics events have cross-over.

So maybe just limit the total # of events an Olympian can compete in? They should do something... just because they've added 8405 events in swimming doesn't mean all swimmers are the best Olympians.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Patgaepx

You really thought when I said 100m vs 200m, I was referring to sprints vs marathons? Really?
It's just running.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
AbraroLib

So maybe just limit the total # of events an Olympian can compete in? They should do something... just because they've added 8405 events in swimming doesn't mean all swimmers are the best Olympians.
You obviously know nothing about swimmng. The diversity of Phelps' abilities in a pool is pretty impressive.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
Edifsdubs

They do but it's still bullshit. You could be the Michael Jordan of some shit like fencing... one medal.

IMO, Jason Lezak (38 flat) had the most incredible swimming feat in Beijing. He destroyed everyone else in the pool that day - including Michael Phelps time.
i would think the michael jordan of fencing would rock in foil, sabre, and epee. it's not like they have team events either...

Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
VistaULTIMATEdownloadaPro

It also won't remove the fact the term "best" is extremely subjective.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
jstizzle

I don't think it's necessary or prudent. If you are the best at something, you should be able to compete in that event. Every once in a while, a guy like Phelps will come along who can dominate in almost all the events. I can live with that.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Thorwaywhobia

There is obviously no other type of event where someone could rack up so many medals, so I see what you are getting at. Even so, to perform at such a high level in so many events with so little down time is impressive.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
fameintatenly

You obviously know nothing about swimmng. The diversity of Phelps' abilities in a pool is pretty impressive.
He does 100-200m freestyle and butterfly. I think I get the diversity.

Reply to Thread New Thread