LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
JAMES PIETERSE

Default Article from The Times 03/08/2012
Quoted directly from The Times:

"British Fencing is facing a mutiny from competitors determined to oust the sport's performance director after a dismal showing at ExCel Arena this week (Alex Ralph writes).

The women's foil team were routed by Italy 42-14 in the quarter-finals yesterday, having beaten Egypt 45-34 in the morning. Their defeat compounded the failure of Great Britain's 10 individual fencers to make it to the last 16.

At least one fencer has threatened to quit if Alex Newton, the performance director, and Jon Salfield, the national sabre coach, do not step down after the Games. Another is rumoured to be considering the opportunity to compete for another nation. One influential outsider is already planning an overhaul of the way the sport is run. A source said "There are too many people who will not let her [Newton] carry on. I think her only supporter was Piers Martin and he has resigned"

Martin, British Fencing's chief executive, announced his resignation a week before the Opening Ceremony. Peter King, the former chief executive of British Cycling, has been appointed his successor on an interim basis"

Thoughts anyone?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Uttephabeta

[QUOTE=TBennett;2690
Thoughts anyone?[/QUOTE]

Presumably you want positive, practical & printable ones in which case maybe let the boys do their stuff first?

As to swapping countries I was joking when I asked Gav how Scottish Independence was coming on but it may be a thought.......

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
illerlytoindy

One influential outsider... A source said...

Thoughts anyone?
My first thought is that someone inside is feeding a story to a journalist because they have a personal agenda.

My second thought is that whoever decided to do that while the games were still in progress, and specifically before the MFT event, is a particularly contemptible form of bottom-feeding low-life.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
hrthwhr

Codes of conduct for athletes & coaches are here...
http://www.britishfencing.com/govern...neralpolicies/

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
TritteTouff

My second thought is that whoever decided to do that while the games were still in progress, and specifically before the MFT event, is a particularly contemptible form of bottom-feeding low-life.
Agree, this is for post-fencing debate, not now.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
tramdoctorsss

the journo is telling the truth & a source exists? Unusual & rare but not unheard of

Its a british source? Article doesnt state the nationality & News International are Australian owned (they scammed Lawrence Dallaglio just before a world cup)

They want to destabilise the MFT? Unfortunate timing if they don't

i suggest you Times & Sun readers cancel your papers and leave all debate until after Sunday

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Rqvtwlfk

How about this article in the Daily Telegraph today to give a more positive attitude on fencing - I was privileged to see the Men's Epee Finals on Wednesday night and hugely enjoyed all the fights (and the Women's Sabre too - supporting Kim just behind the fan club of Zagunis didn't make me many American friends). Thought Kelsey had very strange footwork but loved Limbardo's footwork and his sheer bravery.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...n-Limardo.html

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
glagoliska

In the modern time of "no compromise" & "results driven funding" why should athletes have to put up with criticism from the press and others but the management & federations not?

Just a thought, not sure if it's really related.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
ResistNewWorldOrder

In the modern time of "no compromise" & "results driven funding" why should athletes have to put up with criticism from the press and others but the management & federations not?

A perfectly valid thought, Jon, particularly as the latter have been making all the decisions attracting derision, usually at the expense of the former.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Anamehuskeene

In the modern time of "no compromise" & "results driven funding
Reminds me of the US Congress, sadly.

*OOooohhh...happy thought....Mitt Romney in Parliament for "question time." THAT would be entertaining!*

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
HottBrorb

Codes of conduct for athletes & coaches are here...
http://www.britishfencing.com/govern...neralpolicies/
So - what do you mean by that?

I think you should be explicit.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
STYWOMBORGOSY

Hi Jon

I certainly have no argument with you here.

The journalist of course, is just doing their job.

I might be wrong, but some of the language in the piece made me think that it was a story that had been "placed" by someone in the sport who had an agenda to follow.

If this is the case, then it is particularly poor timing for what I would already consider an unpleasantly underhand act. They could have waited until the fencing was over.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Serereids

Hi Jon

I certainly have no argument with you here.

The journalist of course, is just doing their job.

I might be wrong, but some of the language in the piece made me think that it was a story that had been "placed" by someone in the sport who had an agenda to follow.

If this is the case, then it is particularly poor timing for what I would already consider an unpleasantly underhand act. They could have waited until the fencing was over.
That comes from one individual who has an axe to grind. Probably an attempt to flush out more support.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
attractiveweb

That comes from one individual who has an axe to grind. Probably an attempt to flush out more support.
What does? Who are you pointing at, please be specific, Jon, Baldric, the Journo or his alleged source?

We dont need misunderstandings - things are heating up already

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
antiggill

Poor timing? Yes
Someone with their own agenda feeding the press? Yes

But still true.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
Kotyara

Not necessarily feeding the press. There's already been several quotes in articles from this forum cropped up. Wouldn't surprise me if at least some of the information has come from here, and some from facebook, and then a little garnishing added to it. I don't think much of it will have been a secret, somehow...

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
Anatolii

What does? Who are you pointing at, please be specific, Jon, Baldric, the Journo or his alleged source?

The quote does. And as its anonymous of course we don't know exactly who said it. I can think of a few people who would happily be interviewed by the press but its pure speculation unless said person admits it.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
Jalieteplalry

Hi Ray,

I'm with you on the timing, not great. I also hate the idea of unnamed sources etc, just as much as I dislike people who tell lies, blame others for their mistakes and makes comments about other people on the forum without putting their name to it. Which brings me to my next point....

Espada74, what have I ever done to you? You seem to be very anti me for some reason. I doubt you know the half of what has happened to me in my fencing career, positive or negative.

Back to my point, which wasn't really linked to this thread 100%

The first question from the first interview I did on German TV after fencing for Heidenheim in the European club championships (we had just lost in extra time to Warsaw in the L8) was "Can you explain why you did so bad?" This along with constant criticism from the public is part and parcel of being an athlete and I think we all accept it. Any athlete who can't handle this is in the wrong profession. We are very privileged and never moan when we are praised.

What I don't think is fair is the people who make the calls, select the teams, dictate the tactics etc seem to get a much easier ride or have a PR machine to side step things.

I'm an advocate of more responsibility, more accountability.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
LypeReexy

I am not pointing fingers at any individual and nor will I. In terms of who I am referring to, I mean the source.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #20
strongjannabiz

Espada74, what have I ever done to you? You seem to be very anti me for some reason. I doubt you know the half of what has happened to me in my fencing career, positive or negative.
Jon, I'm not sure it was aimed at you... Its not entirely clear what the "That" Espada74 says refers to but I see your train of thought..

Reply to Thread New Thread