LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
RalfDweflywex

Default Best Olympic Moments
Here's a link to a BBC list of top events as put forward by commentators.

Bit surprised by Karim's (no bitchiness please).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19215464

I would have opted for Limardo winning the gold or maybe Abouelkassem making the final. Maybe even Zagunis going out. Those, to me, were actual 'moments'.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
Zdfjpbth

having beaten Egypt in the round of 16, James Davis, Laurence Halsted, Richard Kruse and Ahmed Rosowsky faced Italy in the quarter-finals Nice.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Alkassyinhisk

Nice.
I'm thinking "oops".

My little brother hates being called Gav. (Don't know why - it's an ace name and all that.)

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
T1ivuQGS

More BFA Spin

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Hankie

I would have opted for Limardo winning the gold or maybe Abouelkassem making the final. Maybe even Zagunis going out. Those, to me, were actual 'moments'.
No room for spin with those moments though Gav.

Limardo is everything an epee fencer should be, highly skilled, fast, nice guy and good looking.

Back to the thread...

"We will bridge the gap to the podium on the way to Rio 2016." Give me strength...

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Adimos

More BFA Spin
Agreed.

Do the BBC realise what his other role is?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
Cogebrego

Limardo is everything an epee fencer should be, highly skilled, fast, nice guy and good looking.
Let's not be doing us mere mortals down Jon!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Tazqoaap

"We will bridge the gap to the podium on the way to Rio 2016." Give me strength...
...Surely this will have to involve a step-change of some description based on some projected trajectories and future potential (after reviewing some video analysis on an iPad)?

My favourite moment.. Limardo going crazy after winning gold in Men's Epee, the emotion was great and the crowd loved it.

Best moment outside of Epee - Korean Female Sabreur winning. On an Olympic podium I think everyone expected Zagunis, Kharlan or Velikaya to be top but some wonderful attacks into prep sorted that one out. I think sabreurs call it 'tempo' or summat..

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
downtowndude

Best moment outside of Epee - Korean Female Sabreur winning. On an Olympic podium I think everyone expected Zagunis, Kharlan or Velikaya to be top but some wonderful attacks into prep sorted that one out. I think sabreurs call it 'tempo' or summat..
For me it was watching Zagunis lose more than the medal fight. Her look before the the fight followed by the sudden collapse and then her demeanour afterwards. That's drama...

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Koayrbzh

For me it was watching Zagunis lose more than the medal fight. Her look before the the fight followed by the sudden collapse and then her demeanour afterwards. That's drama...
That was my moment - with Kim's retreat then change of direction being stunning. Then Men's Foil final was also a brilliant piece of athleticism and ability. And from the TV - Vezzalli's comeback. (12 - 8 down with 12 seconds on the clock to win in priority.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
bestonlinepharmasy2

And from the TV - Vezzalli's comeback. (12 - 8 down with 12 seconds on the clock to win in priority.
That would be mine. We were sat immediately behind the entire Vezzali clan, and the noise was unbelievable.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
kavaTeexy

I was sat in the Olympic family seating, next to some members of the the American team. Their getting up and leaving immediately after Zagunis lost, now that's drama.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
tefraxKedWere

But not much, the demolition of Occhiuzzi by Szilagyi in the final of the men's sabre.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
WFSdZuP3

To me it was Zagunis's semi-final. That first period was a master-class in sabre fencing. The second was a master-class in how to deal with the first period. It actually made me love sabre. The epee that night was glorious as well.

Of course that was almost the only fencing I managed to see. I seemed to be able to see 5 or 10 minutes here and there before I realised that something else needed to be done.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #15
DebtDetox

Homer vs Yakimenko MS Ind.

Great, great fight.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
BWJfEkOB

I actually cringed when it said Ahmed instead of Husayn Rosowsky, I thought.. the forum will sooo notice this!
I agree though, I did love the Italy vs GBR, and that we DESTROYED the french!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #17
johnbeller

For me, it was Abouelkassem's QF victory over Cassara, even though his SF victory over Choi was more historic (first African fencing medallist and all that). Having watched him defeat Chamley-Watson, and then Joppich, I will always remember the general dawning realisation along the lines of "By George, this fellow may well upset the applecart in a most surprising and unorthodox fashion!". I think that may well have been the first time in a while that Cassara has come up against a crowd cheering his opponent more than him!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #18
BrodiKennedy

... I think that may well have been the first time in a while that Cassara has come up against a crowd cheering his opponent more than him!
Maybe not.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
Faigokilix

I can't even bring myself to watch Mariel's collapse....not yet.

For me, the best moments in fencing were about every time the S. Koreans stepped onto the piste....seriously.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #20
nvideoe

There were many action packed Olympic moments but I was so impressed with the actual venue the lighting of the pistes, that made an initial impact.

Reply to Thread New Thread