LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Gorlummm

Default Dogs and Children
My kids have been around dogs since the day they were born. There are many great benefits to having a dog when your children are little: less allergies, better socializing, calmer personalities, friendlier attitude.

I have found that to be all very true. There is a natural respect and bond between the children and our pets. Of course the correct training for your pet and general good treatment for your pet, are a must-have, if you want to live together without any problems.

Just curious how you all feel about it, as so many negative reports surface online. BTW I never blame a dog, in my opinion it is always the owner's fault, if/when a dog goes "bad". He was trained to be "bad" or was abused, so his reaction is to fight back.

Do you think it's a good or bad idea to have a dog in the house when the baby arrives?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
WumibBesowe

I actually think it's a very good idea. My niece is three months old and my dogs love her. They are always clamoring to be near her. I was concerned because they are usually wary about new people and I've heard some people tell me that my dogs could become super jealous of the new addition. So far that hasn't happened. They were wary at first but now they are used to her presence. They actually alert us when the baby is about to cry and it looks like they fuss over her too.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
AlabamaBoyz

There is nothing wrong in having a pet upon the arrival of a baby. Keep in mind that your pet will get jealous if they were the only one in the home. You have to prepare them for each baby that will be born to make this transition easier. My daughter has had her cat for three years and now that her baby is born she detects a little bit of jealousy, but he's very good. It does help create special bonds when the pets are babies too and they grow together with your children.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
qikolax

It's always a great idea to have a dog in the house. It has definitely reduced the tension in my house. My mom just loves my dog and the dog keeps her preoccupied when I am not around.

The thing about dogs and babies is, the dog will most likely end up being over protective of the little one eventually. This is where the owner will have to stop the behavior of being overly territorial the moment it starts.

The crucial part of introducing the baby into the house is to make the dog accustomed of the smell and sound of him/her first. We don't want the dog to be overwhelmed with the noise and the smell a baby will bring because of their heightened senses. A dog's nose has 220 million scent receptors compared to humans who only have 5 million. They can also detect sounds 6/100 of a second and hear four times farther away than we can.

Dogs are a great way to teach children about responsibilities. As simple as asking them to walk, train and feed the dog on a constant basis can teach them a whole lot. Of course, supervision on the part of the parents is still required.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
teentodiefows

I think it's a good idea as long as you are a responsible pet owner who teaches your dogs. I'm always amazed at people who seem to let their dogs run the household instead of the other way around. I've seen it first hand. The owner will say no over and over again and the dog pays no attention to them whatsoever. In that case it's a bad idea. If you do train your pet, then I think it's a good idea. I think they do learn a lot about respect for animals that way. I have a 17 month old son and a toy poodle. Of course the poodle is a small dog, but my son loves him. They are really good together.

Reply to Thread New Thread