LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #1
JasminBerkova

While addressing wounds, its always better to clip the surrounding hair. Flush the wound copiously with tap water and it sure does clear the wound of bacteria and dirt. Apply a wet to dry bandage, which owing to the wet interior keeps the wound moist and aids in quick healing

Old 07-16-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
replicajoy

Hmmm...I guess I should organize my first aid kit so that it would make things easier. I think my issue is the lack of organization for my kit. It's all over the place and we end up running around looking for them when we need to patch the dogs up (mostly only one because she is such a troublemaker). I wonder why I never thought of making a first aid kit before?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
bug_user

Default Pet First Aid Kit
So it's possible your pet might require a bit of first aid at some point in their life. Do you have a first aid kit handy?

The most important thing is that you keep a list of emergency contact numbers. Make sure you know which vets you can contact for your pets in the local area, their opening surgery times, and the out of hours emergency details. You may also want to keep on this list details of the local animal pound / rescue organisations and your pets microchip details - so you have it to hand in case you're reporting a missing animal. In any injury or medical issue you should always contact a qualified veterinarian for medical advice.

However, there are some minor ailments that you can treat yourself - and if it's not an emergency and your vet's appointment isn't for a few hours, you may find some basic first-aid treatment useful.
Here's a guide to what you should keep in a first aid kit for your pets:

1. Bandages, cotton wool, rubbing alcohol & adhesive tape

You can't use sticky plasters on pets due to their fur, but for minor abrasions you still want to clean the wound well with rubbing alcohol or similar, cover it with a bandage and use medical adhesive tape (such as microtape) to secure it.

Tip! If the bottom of the paw is cut or bruised you can use a sock to ensure it is kept dry and clean.

2. Latex Gloves and tweezers

It's just good practice if you are working around a wound no matter how minor, to put on a pair of latex or disposable gloves so that you don't get any dirt or bacteria in there - and also helps protect you too.

Tweezers are excellent for picking out burs or thorns from fur or from skin, as well as for dealing with ticks.

Note! For Tick removal make sure you read this first - the ASPCA Guide to Tick Removal

3. Antibacterial cream

Just like humans, an anti bacterial cream will help against infection - play it safe and apply to wounds - but then you need to make sure the pet can't reach it to lick it off.

4. Digital Thermometer

It will help a lot if you know if your animal has a fever or not. Ear thermometers for humans will work on pets - but the rectal thermometer is far more accurate - but much less preferred by your pet! The procedure may be uncomfortable and undignified but should not be pain for your pet at all.

5. Muzzle

You may think that your dog is the tamest nicest dog on the planet but when in pain a dog may lash out by instinct - their instinct is to try and protect themselves from the pain. A simple cloth muzzle can protect you and your dog if you're forced to touch a painful area for any sort of treatment. If you don't have a muzzle, you can wrap a bandage or other cloth item around the mouth and tie it closed.

6. Collar Cone

You may have seen dogs and cats wandering around with that great big cone around their heads - this is to stop them having access to a part of their body. When injured, animals have a tendancy to lick - unfortunately this often makes the problem worse and can lead to inflamation and infection. No matter how minor, a scrape or scratch that gets infected can become a serious problem. Most pet shops will sell these cones, as will veterinary surgeries. You may want to have one in your emergency kit, rather than be running around panicing after hours because your pet has a minor cut that they won't stop licking.

Remember - stabilise & protect your pet but always seek veterinary advice!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
MegaJIT

Very hand to keep a pet first aid kit as well as a human one. It's amazing how many people don't.

Reply to Thread New Thread