LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
rxnixoncom

Default 9th January 2012 - Pub serving dogs beer - (Daily Mail)
Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Hair of the dog: Now man's best friend can enjoy a pint and a Sunday roast as pub introduces beer for canines

By Anthony Bond

Last updated at 8:46 AM on 9th January 2012

They are often referred to as man's best friend and considered to be extremely loyal to their owners. And now it appears there is no excuse for dogs to be left behind when their owners head for the pub in one part of the north east.

That's because The Brandling Villa in South Gosforth, Newcastle, has come up with a pet-friendly menu. The pub is now selling a special beer designed for dogs so that drinkers' four-legged friends can also enjoy a tipple at the same time. It is also serving a Sunday roast covered in cat-flavoured gravy.

The pub aims to remain traditional but with a modern twist, which includes welcoming dog owners with their pets to enjoy the atmosphere. But rather than just offering water, the pub decided dogs should join the craft beer revolution too and has started to sell the non-alcoholic beverage for pets.

It is made with beer ingredients of malt and hops, but also includes meat extract. Dogs seem to have a thirst for the drink as the Brandling Villa has had to reorder fresh stock after the first 48 bottles ran out in a fortnight. But ironically, manager Dave Carr's own dog, beagle Franco, doesn't like it.

Mr Carr said: 'It tastes of beef.

'I don't want to give it to my dog without trying it first. It's pretty revolting and my dog doesn't like it but I've got enough people who drink my stock so it's nice if my dog doesn't join in.
'Everyone else's dogs love it. We have some regulars: she'll have a Sauvignon Blanc, he has a pint of Budvar, and Charlie the dog has a dog beer. That's his regular drink.
'People seem to think it's a bit mental - we keep it in the fridge along with other beers and they ask what it is. People think it's just a normal beer with a ridiculous name.
'I scoped the internet looking for ridiculous stuff, and we became dog-friendly. There aren't many pubs you can go to with your dog.
'The dogs were drinking water and eating biscuits, so we also created a dog menu, designed for dogs but based on traditional English dishes.'

Having a pint and a meal down at your local is one of life's pleasures so Mr Carr worked with chef Sammy Dee, who also has a dog, a Chihuahua-Jack Russell cross called Ladybird, to create a range of a la carte dishes for a spot of beer and food matching.

Dishes for pets include 'Chicken a la Franc' - a dog version of chicken chasseur; 'Eggs Ladybird' named after Sammy's dog; and a Sunday roast with 'cat' gravy - a beef stock with fish sauce.

There is also a dessert menu and special dog chews.

Mr Carr added: 'Dog friendly is really the way it should be. Pubs should have wooden floors and dogs in front of the fire.'

The new menu in the pub comes after the first beer especially for dogs was created in the U.S.

Bowser Beer is made in Phoenix, Arizona from beef or chicken broth with malt barley. It is non-alcoholic, has no carbonation and also free from hops which can be toxic for dogs. A six-pack costs $20 and the company suggest giving the brew to your pet straight from the bottle, over dried dog food or using a splash to flavour their water bowl.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
rxnixoncom

Delight: Ladybird, the pet dog of chef Sammy Dee, pictured, enjoys a dog-friendly beer at the Brandling Villa pub

Reply to Thread New Thread