LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Percocetti

What a bunch of BS she was just trying to justify her actions

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #22
OnerePeepsy

I am curious, who exactly oversees dog breeders? What organization enforces claims made by dog breeders. If the breeder said, yes of course our dogs are all genetically tested, but did not offer a money back guarantee if the dog develops stuff later in life, would you still buy? Do you just trust that if they say they do, it they actually do it? Is there any proof?

Call me skeptical but dog breeders, sell dogs as a business and frankly people who sell stuff sometimes make false claims or tell customers what they want to hear. Imagine that. If you are paying for a dog it better come from proven winning dogs. No BS claim of genetic testing is worth anything without real proof. What LAB does the testing? What does it cost? How accurate is the testing, who really does this and what freaking difference does it make? Life is a crap shoot. The term reputable breeder means a breeder with a reputation. If you have that and the dogs are nice, just do it. Because a breeder claims to have done genetic testing doesn't make it so.

A lot of people want to be able to justify why they are overpaying for a dog. The claim of genetic testing is nothing more than a claim without certified laboratory reports. If you do not see them, they probably do not exist. BTW go get some genetic testing done and let me know what the bill is, you get what you pay for, but real genetic testing is not cheap. Do you really believe that breeder, bred, fed, vaccinated and had genetically tested that $800 puppy in a certified genetic laboratory?
Most genetic testing is done through OFA, and you can look up any registered dog on the database to verify breeder claims. A responsible breeder will give you this information. Other claims such as "genetically cleared through parentage" should also be verifiable.

For example, I had got Lily's PennHIP. I obviously am not breeding her, as she was spayed at 6 months, but at any point in time if someone asked me to verify what her DI was on each hip, I would be able to present to them the official statement from PennHIP. Both I and my vet have a copy, and PennHIP does keep record.

If I bred dogs, and a prospective owner asked me to verify the report, I would gladly do so. A breeder that does not do this, IMO, is either lying or a jackass and either way not someone I'd want to deal with.

As for what labs do the testing, I'm not familiar with other genetic tests, but, for example, when OFA says "thyroid", they are talking about a Thyroid Panel sent to one of these approved locations: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals: Thyroid Disease

In my experience, and for the purpose of my job at my hospital, I know that Idexx does not do the testing, they send their test requisitions to the University of Michigan (DCPAH).

Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Petrushkaukrop

I am still wondering how she found my thread so quickly.. My posting and her email reply about it were only an hour apart. Maybe she's a member LOL
Maybe. LOL. Wow. Kelsie I'm glad you are asking about health testing first.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
сайдинг

That's funny. I love the bullshit rationalizations for not genetic testing her stock. We KNOW that a dog can appear healthy and carry the genes for all kinds of defects. We KNOW if that dog is bred it can pass those genes on to it's offspring and that if that dog or its offspring are bred to another dog with the same recessive gene the pups would either be carriers or have the fault. But it's all in it's "infancy", so don't bother spending the $$.

Ya have to wonder if she doesn't test because she knows her dogs are carrying bad genes.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
mymnduccete

I am just confused because I definitely don't see genetic testing as a fad or a bandwagon to jump on.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #26
Petrushkaukrop

If i'm not mistaken they do all sorts of genetic testing while you are pregnant also. And if issues do come up they tell you and you have a choice to abort or not. I could be wrong though. So what that breeder was just trying to sell you a genetic mess. ^^ I'm very picky when looking at breeders. I've been looking for a year now for a good GSD breeder for when my hubby's outside passes because he wants another after him. I haven't found one in my area yet that I like.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #27
mymnduccete

There would be NO confusion in my eyes. The "Breeder" is trying to sell you a load of bullhocky! Be picky! Search for a breeder until you get the answers you are looking for.
Agreed my friend.

-------------
oops, thought my first one didn't post.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
Pypeassesty

I am curious, who exactly oversees dog breeders? What organization enforces claims made by dog breeders. If the breeder said, yes of course our dogs are all genetically tested, but did not offer a money back guarantee if the dog develops stuff later in life, would you still buy? Do you just trust that if they say they do, it they actually do it? Is there any proof?

Call me skeptical but dog breeders, sell dogs as a business and frankly people who sell stuff sometimes make false claims or tell customers what they want to hear. Imagine that. If you are paying for a dog it better come from proven winning dogs. No BS claim of genetic testing is worth anything without real proof. What LAB does the testing? What does it cost? How accurate is the testing, who really does this and what freaking difference does it make? Life is a crap shoot. The term reputable breeder means a breeder with a reputation. If you have that and the dogs are nice, just do it. Because a breeder claims to have done genetic testing doesn't make it so.

A lot of people want to be able to justify why they are overpaying for a dog. The claim of genetic testing is nothing more than a claim without certified laboratory reports. If you do not see them, they probably do not exist. BTW go get some genetic testing done and let me know what the bill is, you get what you pay for, but real genetic testing is not cheap. Do you really believe that breeder, bred, fed, vaccinated and had genetically tested that $800 puppy in a certified genetic laboratory?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
LkEHaduy

what a load of bull lol keep looking!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
Gakeincidoniac

She emailed me shortly after I made this thread, with a link to this thread, accusing me of publicizing her email to make fun of her. My only reply was telling her I was glad she found this website because it has a lot of useful information on it.
Wow. What a stalker.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
Pypeassesty

Also the I believe the OFA was started by a guy who was relatively wealthy. Non profit organizations for the betterment of something are a favorite way for wealthy hobbyists to generate tax benefits. The OFA is a not for profit 501 (c) corporation. See their fee schedule. Does anybody really believe that for $65 they can take a DNA sample, send it to a quality lab and get a thorough DNA test performed and provide certified documentation? Regardless of how official it sounds, their certification is only as good as people believe it is. If they raise money through donations, fund raisers, government grants etc the real key word is money. AKC registration papers, the OFA, you name it are really about money and everything associated with stuff like this should be taken with a grain of salt. L. Ron Hubbard knew this and started selling his own brand of religion called Scientology. It is a beautiful scheme, and in the end he created a non profit, religion with all its tax exemptions and benefits that made him and now his estate enormously wealthy. The NHRA (National Hot Rod Association) is sanctioning body for professional and amateur drag racing. The original founder Wally Parks died a very wealthy man, and many of the employees, directors etc make lots of money, but what many don't know is that the NHRA is a non profit organization with all the tax benefits and exemptions that come with that.

Isn't the term not for profit corporation an oxy-moron? Just food for thought at a time when our government is broke.

Reply to Thread New Thread