Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-06-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Everwondopedo

Me and Joker, the first day we met

Joker after his first bath, in his new home

Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
tsovimnpb

Why Diesel?

I had no intentions of getting a pup so young. I saw a beautiful pit mix at a rescue and decided to go out there and see him. He ended up not being there, but there was a 6 week old litter there that they just rescued. They all had mangled hack job tail docks of all different lengths, they were all bloated and wormy and just generally terrible looking. I decided to give one a good home. Diesel was the only one that ignored the food to play with me, and we just clicked. Here he is on day 1, wearing a collar that fits tightly on my wrist that was way too big on him 3 lb 9 oz

Why Me?

I wanted a dog. My roommate has a pit bull and I love almost everything about her, so I knew what breed I was looking for. Pure dumb luck I came across diesel when I did.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
iodigmaFemZem

What a lucky pup Joker is

Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Everwondopedo

This was after my surgery, he kept me company, I was non-weight bearing for one week. 1 yr. old

Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
Everwondopedo

Good-Ol-Boy ~ Thanks for sharing, he is adorable!! He filled out nicely, into a beautiful boy!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Feloascarlelt

He's handsome! His face markings are cool, like he has a goatee or something, or was just sticking his nose in mud!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Everwondopedo

Thank you!! I love his facial markings! Hence...his official name is Bluhavens Get A Load of Me, his call name is Joker.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Flerdourdyged

yea I can't go and look at a puppy without getting one, well accept at the pound a few times, but I went and looked at chi/pug mixes my ex's co-worker had...ended up with one for a little while, loved him but I was bound to step on him so gave him to a friend that wanted him...same happened with the GSD, she was way to high energy, and so now I just ignore any puppies that are not my breeds of choice because I just can't deal with them lol

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
ggandibazz

My boyfriend picked Bloo out. I had originally picked out a puppy in another state I found online. We where told we could go see the pups and put a deposit on the one we wanted when they where two weeks old. A day before we where going to go see them the girl emailed me saying that we could not come and see them, at all until they where old enough to leave...that we could money gram her our deposit and then come pick the puppy up when it was ready to leave mom. She told us the mom was too aggressive. Of course we where not going to send this girl money when she could not even prove to us she actually had pups. Yeah she was posting pics online but she could of gotten pictures from anywhere. She also mentioned that this was her last litter, she was not breeding anymore and was working on getting a 501k licence to open a shelter/rescue and yet I found her on another site trying to sell off her older dogs and trying to buy mastiff or other "large breed puppies" It all seemed kind of fishy to me so we just told her never mind we would find a puppy somewhere else. I found a local breeder, talked to him on the phone a few times, my boyfriend went over to his house and picked out a pup and then a couple of days later we went to get Bloo. He said he picked him out because he seemed like the calmest one and he was the runt, he knows I have a soft spot for runts(he's not such a runt now...almost 8 months and already 60lbs!) When we went to pick him up I fell in love with him instantly. Before my boyfriend even pointed out which one was ours I had my heart set on him. It was love at first sight, something with us just clicked instantly.

We got a puppy because we had recently lost a dog...it was a terrible accident. I am still angry/sad about it but Bloo helps with that. We had a cane corso/american bull dog mix. One of my kids left the door open and she was going to run out the door. I grabbed at her collar but she got away and ran into the road. Let me say that I live in an area where the speed limit on most roads is 25 m/h. My road is 25 m/h a school bus was speeding down the road going way faster than the speed limit, and ran her over. I saw the whole thing. It was horrible. She died before I could even call for a ride to the vet(we only have 1 car and my boyfriend had it at work) I was a complete wreck outside screaming and hollering and crying like a maniac, so much so that the people down the street heard me and came to see what was going on. Needless to say I was pretty depressed for awhile after it happened and the kids didn't take it much better. My son's teacher actually commented on his field trip that he made HER cry because he would go to school crying for a few days after it happened. So, Christmas time comes around and my boyfriend decides that a puppy is what everyone needs to get us out of our depression. I wasn't so sure about it at first, I didn't really want another puppy...I was still hurting pretty bad. I knew if he did get one I would take care of him like he deserved but I just wanted to be sad a little longer, I felt like I was betraying her, trying to replace her and it added to the guilt I felt for her death because if I just would of gotten a better grip on her collar or if I was at the door to shut it when my kid walked out or if I was just a little bit faster then she would still be with us. I still miss her so much but I do not regret getting Bloo, I love him dearly and although he has not replaced her, he has helped take away some of the hurt. He helps with the sadness. I sometimes wonder if her loss will ever stop completely hurting. Probably not, but like I said I blame myself so I feel I deserve it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Everwondopedo

Thank you for sharing PrettyHateMachine~ so sorry you lost your beloved pet. I also have experienced my small child opening the door, and our dog dodging through. Your heart sinks to your stomache. We were fortunate nothing happened. Soon after, we installed an entry gate on our porch, to lower the risk of our dog running from the house.
I hope one day you can forgive yourself.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Esmeralfaf

Joker... I LOVE THE NAME!! WHY SO SERIOUS?! Looks just like the new Joker from Batman from the front.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Everwondopedo

Joker... I LOVE THE NAME!! WHY SO SERIOUS?! Looks just like the new Joker from Batman from the front.
I was debating over "Why So Serious" or "Get A Load of Me", for his UKC registered name. For a year!! Finally I decided on "Get A Load of Me".

Thank You for the compliment

Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
ggandibazz

Thank you for sharing PrettyHateMachine~ so sorry you lost your beloved pet. I also have experienced my small child opening the door, and our dog dodging through. Your heart sinks to your stomache. We were fortunate nothing happened. Soon after, we installed an entry gate on our porch, to lower the risk of our dog running from the house.
I hope one day you can forgive yourself.
yeah it is scary. My other two dogs, and even Bloo are pretty well trained and will not run out the door if it is open...but Trixie well, she was only 8 months old(about the age of Bloo now) and we had only had her for about 4 months. She was passed between a few homes before we got her, so I was having a little bit harder of a time training her and getting her to be a better listener.

We are trying to work something out with our landlord to either get the porch enclosed or get the fence from the back yard to at least enclose some of the front yard so that if the front door is opened and if one of the dogs run out they won't be able to get to the road...but we don't own this house so it's easier said then done. What really ticked me off is that these buses drive like that all the time around here and the bus company straight up lied to me. Told me the bus driver reported it to the cops...well if she did why didn't they come to see me? they also said that the drivers take safety courses...I know someone who's husband works for them and he says they do not! They had the additude like a parent who knows they have an out of control child but "what are you gunna do?" Said if we see it again call the cops. We caught her speeding by our house the following monday(it happend on a friday) and my boyfriend pulled her over and told her off. Then a couple of days later she comes speeding by again, we call the cops, they say they will come set up a speed trap, which they never did. I know where she lives but I guess she got tired of us bitching about her and me giving her nasty looks every time she rides by, and I hope she feels at least a little bit guilty because she takes a different road now so she doesn't have to completely pass my house. She lied to me too. When the couple from down the street heard me and came to check it out they said they knew her, and went to get her...she said she didn't know that she hit her....even if she didn't see her, how can you not feel running over an almost 60lb dog with every tire of your bus?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
lopaayd

Seriously, I could NOT go and look at puppies without leaving with one. That is why I don't go look at puppies.

Congratulations on your ownership of an APBT. Hope you have been reading all the stickies!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
masterboyz

Seriously, I could NOT go and look at puppies without leaving with one. That is why I don't go look at puppies.

Right?!

Unless it's a breed I'd NEVER own... like a Lab. Lab puppies are cute and fun to play with... but gawd, am I happy to leave them behind!!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
Everwondopedo

Default Why (you)? Why me? *SHARE*
Why Joker (you)?
Out of his littermates I decided to pick him up first, because he appeared content whether he was romping, or relaxing. Also, I had to get a closer look at his adorable face! When I returned him to his whelping box, he would peak over the top looking for me!

Why me?
I had no plans of adding to our 4 legged family. Our kiddos told my hubby how happy I was playing with and holding Joker, so he secretly arranged to bring Joker home with us! Which included finding an insurance carrier and researching APBT ownership in Franklin County, Ohio Now Joker has become his assistant softball coach and mascot!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
zuhraliyana

Lucky you!!

I'd been wanting a puppy for 3 years..finally had to throw a fit before DH broke down and said ok.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
VastDrura

Congrats on your pup. I have had 3 pups over 4 years. I am at the point where puppies are no longer cute. Maybe in a few years I will forget what bastards they are and like them again, but until then I admire adult dogs

Reply to Thread New Thread