LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Gmvkgkmn

Default Pitbull had stem cell therapy done in kansas
This is my friends pitbull/mix sherman, that had stem cell therapy done on in topeka ks at my vet.

Animals get stem cell therapy

Local clinic first in state to use in-house procedure

Posted: November 11, 2010 - 11:38pm

Back | Next
ANTHONY S. BUSH/THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

From left, veterinarians Travis Gratton, Larry Snyder and Richard Ashe remove fatty tissue from Sherman, an 11-year-old pit bull mix, and place in it a container being held by Michaela Hutchinson at University Bird and Small Animal Clinic, 2619 S.W. 17th. The tissue was removed so stem cells could be extracted to help repair the dog's torn ACLs and arthritic hip.

Back | Next
ANTHONY S. BUSH/THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Mike Hutchinson, a leading practitioner in stem cell therapy from Pittsburgh, shows employees at the veterinary clinic how to prepare the fat so stem cells can be extracted and processed using MediVet-America's new Adipose Stem Cell Procedure Kit.

< A HREF="http://t.brand-server.com/click/bSfHUCM19Se.YiKzRL0CT1qmnd9yhJ0LGB4abX1l2Vqj0AAMyF zop3aMMJVEbxuOcpH-ILaeVaosGjFqYWP7n.R4QkcjvVzybjoaG2D1Ev1LWsFPJTUzhu nEcI8oNMTP7zMQqZowv2ybq1Kt02A5n9TD1x5gwHyb-unw4AIhTUtU2nJce7CRqEzlnKSIRy0=//http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N6659.289681.CENTRO.NETMEDIA-SER/B6502091.6;sz=300x250;ord=af06d1e8-9a14-4db3-868a-c1a1040d826a?">< IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N6659.289681.CENTRO.NETMEDIA-SER/B6502091.6;sz=300x250;ord=af06d1e8-9a14-4db3-868a-c1a1040d826a?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 ALT="Advertisement">
Advertisement

By Jan Bilescjonline.com Copyright 2010 CJ Online. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
November 11, 2010 - 11:38pmAnimals get stem cell therapy
Sherman, an 11-year-old pit bull mix with two torn ACLs and an arthritic hip, lay Thursday morning on the operating room table at University Bird and Small Animal Clinic at S.W. 17th and Randolph as veterinarians Richard Ashe, Travis Gratton and Larry Snyder removed clumps of fatty tissue from his upper back.
The fatty tissue contained adult stem cells that would be harvested, activated using MediVet-America's new Adipose Stem Cell Procedure Kit and then injected back into the damaged area to help accelerate healing in Sherman's damaged knee ligaments and hip.
"This treatment has worked well (at other clinics)," said Bruce Zimmerman, Sherman's owner. "We're hoping it will give him better quality of life."
University Bird and Small Animal Clinic is the first veterinary clinic in Kansas to perform in-house animal stem cell regenerative therapy, which is used now to treat osteoarthritis, hip dysplasia, ligament and cartilage injuries, and other degenerative diseases.
"Regenerative therapy hopefully will open a new treatment venue," Snyder said. "It's only licensed for joints and arthritis now. In the future, it could be used for liver, kidney, and heart disease and with stroke victims."
Veterinarian Mike Hutchinson, a leading practitioner in stem cell therapy from Pittsburgh and a spokesman for MediVet-America, was at the clinic to guide its staff through the stem cell activation process using the drug-free kit, which uses LED technology to activate dormant stem cells.
Hutchinson said he has used the kit to treat more than 100 dogs and cats. Most animals in severe pain before treatment were able to walk, run and jump again within two to three weeks. Risk factors are minimal and include possible joint infection and complications of anesthesia.
"I believe MediVet-America's new application signifies the biggest breakthrough in veterinary medicine I have seen since entering the field 24 years ago," he said.
Previously, Hutchinson said, fatty tissues had to be shipped to a laboratory in California for stem cell extraction and would take days to return to the veterinary clinic. The kit allows veterinarians to activate and inject the stem cells within hours of fat collection.
"It will take four to five hours when we get it down, so it will be a one-day surgery," Snyder said.
The process also delivers a higher stem cell count than earlier procedures. Leftover stem cells can be frozen and used for future injections if needed.
"A cup of fat has 1 to 2 billion stem cells," Hutchinson said.
In addition to generating new revenue for veterinary clinics, the process will save money for consumers. Hutchinson said the old procedure involving shipment of samples to an outside laboratory costs about $3,000, while using the in-house kit would lower the fee to about $1,800. Plus, pet owners will save the money they are spending on pain medications for their pets.
Snyder said University Bird and Small Animal Clinic decided to look into in-house stem cell regenerative therapy after client Carrie Hoffman read about the procedure being used on race horses and wondered if it could help her 7-year-old Labrador, Gunner, who has hip dysplasia and damaged knee joints.
Gunner, a registered therapy dog who has visited nursing home residents in the past, joined Sherman in being the first animals in Kansas to get the in-house procedure Thursday.
"He can't take pain medications, and we were hoping for something to come along," Hoffman said. "It's very exciting for us."
Jan Biles can be reached at (785) 295-1292 or jan.biles@cjonline.com.

Jan Biles can be reached at (785) 295-1292 or jan.biles@cjonline.com.
Read Jan's blog: Northeast-Kansas-News.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
RG3rGWcA

I heard that stem cell TX was the new thing in CCL repair for dogs. I was looking into everything when my dog sustained a CCL injury (luckily hers was very minor and healed w/ conservative management).

But I was very curious about the efficacy of the stem cell treatment as what I read was that it was more or less still in the experimental stages...

Can you tell me how your friend's dog is doing? How successful was the treatment and was it used as a stand alone treatment? I also read about it being used as an adjucnt to traditional surgery.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
zuhraliyana

A friend of mine had that done with her Border Collie. I think it's been about 1 1/2 years now, and she's (the dog) is going great. She took it real slow during recovery, so she wouldn't be reinjured, but is back to doing agility now, and doing better than ever.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Fainnamoony

That is amazing and I hope it was 100% successful.

Reply to Thread New Thread